Popular Tags: c&c_system [+] comparison [+] [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not trolling here, but wondering if any CC:A owners are planning on buying BattleLore as well, and if so, what your primary motivations are. For background, I just bought a nice used copy of CC:A after trading Memoir '44 away in a math trade gone wild. I like it very much, especially the historical aspects, and am on the fence about battlelore. Thanks. No flames please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will buy it. I enjoy all the Commands and Colors games to one degree or another, and from reading the BattleLore site, I suspect it will be enjoyable too. The changes from the other C&C games look interesting to me.

Like Memoir '44, I suspect the player pool for BattleLore will be much more numerous than that of CCA, so it will be worthwhile to have a copy of the game, learn the rules, and play with this new set of opponents.

Plus as a miniature enthusiast, the toy factor and the production quality of BattleLore is too much for me to resist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I got M44 as a gift, then bought C&C:A, pre-ordered Exp#1, and now have already pre-ordered BL...
blush

I keep M44 because I always keep gifts, but since I got C&C:A I have not played a single game of M44.

C&C:A is my favourite game, as a 2 player but also due to the possibility of playing solo. And the periods of history I like the most are Ancient Greece and the Punic Wars, so C&C:A + Exp#1 should be enough for me, I know I won't pre-order Exp#2.

BUT: I have kids, and by this time of the year they begin choosing for Xmas expensive toys they will play just a few times... When they saw pictures of BL they decided that was what they wanted! They get Dwarfs and Goblins, I'll get some historical scenarios, AND a mounted board with the same left/center/right areas as C&C:A, so everybody wins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't be, as the fantasy aspect at once attracts and repels me, while I love the "historocity" of C&C:A. I'm fortunate that a friend enjoys the fantasy aspect with no reservations and so will be getting BL; thus, I'll be able to play it anyway (plus, it'll free up my money to gather and paint minis and terrain for C&C:A).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Price, and the spector or collectability, are keeping me from BattleLore, at least for now.

It is nice to see that some of the tactical nuances introduced in C&C:A are retained in the new game.

I also concerns me that the Lore cards might seriously increase the chance factor in a system that already has a high chance factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the others, I started with M'44 and liked it but after a while I wanted more control and more strategy. C&C:A gave me that and I love it and have ordered to 2 expansions.

Then along came BL and I was not sure about it for a long time until they finally explained the War Counsil and how it works. I like the idea of choosing how to allocate your few tokens to the war counsil which will make each play of an adventure play differently. The balance between the strength of your chosen characters and how many characters you have and how likely you are to draw a useful card will make for interesting strategic choices that will follow through the whole game.

I'm not a huge fantasy fan but this addition to the command and colors system seems like it will add a whole new dimension and worth having even if I don't go crazy buying additional pieces and expansions--just a little crazy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not sure about BattleLore, though more than likely I or one of my friends will buy it. I've got Mem44 and CC:A, and now pretty much play CC:A to the exclusion of Mem44. In fact, seeing what others have done here, I've just ordered my first plastic armies from HaT and Zvezda to do CC:A with minis.

I much prefer historical to fantasy, but some of my freinds really like the fantasy, so I'm sure I'll end up playing it one way or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lmyrick wrote:
Still not sure about BattleLore, though more than likely I or one of my friends will buy it. I've got Mem44 and CC:A, and now pretty much play CC:A to the exclusion of Mem44. In fact, seeing what others have done here, I've just ordered my first plastic armies from HaT and Zvezda to do CC:A with minis.

I much prefer historical to fantasy, but some of my freinds really like the fantasy, so I'm sure I'll end up playing it one way or the other.

Say, would you mind sharing links to HaT and Zvezda? This sounds very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think almost everybody knows, but for the others:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Index.htm

This is THE SITE for 1/72 plastic minis. Recently Zvezda has released Romans and Carthaginians, for me they are the best manufacturers, Hat has more models but Zvezda are the best. You can check the exact contents of each box, and then go to Ebay with the reference.

I have some boxes, but going for one-block-to-one-figure, plus painting scares me a bit... I like blocks, but after buying the Zvezda Carthaginians I'm tempted to try something: one figure per hex, with the base red/blue/green, and with a stack of 4 (or 3 or 2...) wooden discs of the corresponding color for the "strength" of the unit. This way it would be much cheaper to get a full army (just one or two boxes, at about 5 euros/box) and it would reduce the painting hours...

I'll think about it, and post some pictures when done, but it will be in 2007!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Miguel said, plus here's a link to one place to get them, Michigan Toy Soldier Co.:

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/newplastic_folder/new_pla...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will seriously consider getting it. Just waiting on more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To make a laundry list short: Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C Ancients is my favorite game of the year, but I've already pre-ordered BattleLore. Aside from my buddies on VASSAL, I can't find opponents for C&C. The fantasy them of BattleLore is much more attractive to my face-to-face group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:
C&C Ancients is my favorite game of the year, but I've already pre-ordered BattleLore. Aside from my buddies on VASSAL, I can't find opponents for C&C. The fantasy them of BattleLore is much more attractive to my face-to-face group.

What Paul said. I think this game will strike just the right note with the teenage-computer-game crowd as well. My son enjoyed(s) Memoir'44 but he thinks - from all the pre-launch hype - that BattleLore is "way cool". So I guess RB will get more of my money and, unfortunately, C&C Ancients will get less playtime (unless I can find another, non-teenage, opponent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
Come and get them if you dare!
badge
To Do List: 1. Eat 2. Workout 3. Be Amazing
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both M44 and C&C and like both of them. I like WWII themes much better than the ancients theme, but I actually like playing C&C over M44. I think the C&C rules work better for ancients. Anyway I will most likely be buying Battlelore sometime in the future. Probably next year sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
i might. i'm waiting to see how the reviews fall out. BL might be the next big thing, but it also might be the next big flop (or at least step in the wrong direction for the series). i'm on the fence.

i'm also not keen on the pressure to spend a little extra to get one promo figure - the game should sell itself without gimmicks. Gimmicks make me nervous, so the wallet is closed for now.

That said, i may end up loving this game, who knows - that's why i'm waiting and not jumping on the preorder wagon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very very sparing in my purchases of collectible games, and having recently gotten nearly all the bits for Navia Dratp, I'm SO not ready to get into another collectible game right now, even if Battlelore does sound pretty interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not concerned about the Lore cards breaking the game. The reports we've had up to now show a consistent trend of Lore not deciding the games. If it turnt out to be a too powerful element one can always lower the levels of the War Council Leaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mb
I'm onboard for a yes. And I own BC, M44 and CC:A with both expansions preordered.

The only weaklink in the chain for me, is M44. IMO the underlying mechanic just doesn't seem to fit the theme as well as it does for the American Civil War and ancient warfare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I didn't really see the memoir '44 mechanics mismatch until I played a few more games of CC:A, and now it seems fairly obvious, although it is still a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got BL yesterday and, while I'm not allowed to play it yet (it's the Xmas present for my son...), I had a look at the contents to check that everything was there and read the rulebook. So these are my 1st thoughts:

1) Contents: top quality! Once you unfold the mounted board it seems to be a solid single piece, really. The minis are a bit smaller than M44, but very stable. Yes, some swords are bent, but not many. The dice, the cards, everything fits somewhere in the box. And the rule book is a BOOK, very easy to read and very very clear. I think that the DoW team has done a lot of proof reading, it seems nothing has been left aside and each and everything is explained with pictures, examples, etc.

2) "Historical" gameplay: it plays very close to CCA! There are 2 historical scenarios out of 10. But there are some differences. LI is the same, MI is like Auxilia (move 1 and fight with 3 dice, or move 2 and don't fight), HI is like MI (move 1 and 4 dice). No one strong enough to throw 5 dice!

All units can momentum advance, but only cavalry can get a bonus CC (after momentum advance plus one hex). Cavalry moves and fights as in CCA, but retreats are treated different: all units retreat 1 hex/flag, so cavalry becomes less fragile in BL. Only bold units (able to ignore 1 flag, either due to support, race or terrain) can battle back.

LI have no range fire, but bow units get further, 4 hexes. Ballista 3 hexes, and hit on "cross-swords" too if they are not adyacent to the target.

3) Additional "Lore" stuff: I've not read in detail the so called advanced rules, but some things caught my attention. Dwarfs are always bold, so they always ignore 1 flag and can battle back. An example given: 1 dwarf unit supported and in a rampart = may ignore 3 flags and battles back!!! Goblins retreat 2 hexes/flag, so you better have them supported (they may lose extra units in the retreat).

The Giant Spider has special powers, like throwing a net on 1 unit or poisoning it. I got the Hill Giant and Earth Elemental, but wait till the 25th for my son to open them... Not read much about the War Council, but one interesting thing are training camps: you can upgrade a green unit to blue or red!

As noted by others, lore symbols in the dice are a miss, but in the advanced rules allow to get lore tokens, so a nice way to balance an eventually unlucky evening...

4) Conclusion: even if I have not played yet, I'm 100% sure I did the right thing buying it!!! Sorry, ehem, suggesting my son to ask Santa Claus to give it to him...

And that's all, hope this will get played a lot the days (and nights) after Xmas eve...

Miguel

EDIT: I forgot, no leaders on the battle field, this is certainly worst than in CCA...
EDIT: Another thing missing, Evade. Light units are not as useful as in CCA, they can no longer evade and they have no fire range...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.