Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy playing games. We've bought quite a few games from our local retailer over the last year. Last night on the way home, I picked up the copy of TtR:E that had been on order.

After the kids were in bed, we sat down to play two games of TtR:E.

My first thought was: "Hey, this is how game boxes should be organized." (I'm looking at YOU, Settlers and Risk 2210!) Everything had a place, and was already set and sorted into baggies. No punching or cutting was required. (I'm looking at YOU, Axis and Allies!) They also included 3 extra trains of each colour so lost pieces can be instantly replaced. That's a really nice touch.

It didn't take long at all to get the rules straight, although I had a little trouble figuring out exactly how many cards you could draw from the train pile. I don't know why I had a blind spot for this. It was perfectly simple.

The first game had me with the route from Cadiz to Stockholm for my long route, and the three small routes were all more-or-less along the way. The longest junket out of my way was the Edinburgh - Paris route. It was nice luck for the first game. (Usually when I break out a new game, I win the first game and my luck takes a rapid turn for the worst on subsequent plays.) Anyway, we both ended up filling our routes without using any stations.

I was behind for longest road, and there was nothing I could do. I had a smattering of black cards and locomotives, and there were only three cards left in the deck. I decided to go for the tunnel from Stockholm to Petrograd. One of the card, unfortunately, was a locomotive, so not tunnel for me. Two turns later, my wife played out with a slightly longer railway than I could muster. I had picked up one locomotive on my previous turn and went for the tunnel again as my last move.

No blacks. No locomotives. 21 points for the tunnel and another 10 for the European Super Route or whatever it's called. (We kept referring to it as the Longest Road.) The final score was 102 to 118. We didn't count the stations (we forgot) but since neither of us used any, the outcome would not have changed.

With the rules figured out, we sat down for another quick game. I drew a long trip, from Edinburgh to Athens. The hardest part was the two black cars from Venezia to Roma. I thought she would fill them in just because it's the right thing to do in a 2-player game. Luckily for me, she didn't, and I pulled up a route with 2 locomotives.

Wendy was going for long route, and unknown to me, I'd already cut off one of her routes when I took the Athena - Constantinople route and tunnel. I saw a quick chance to cut her long route off, and Wien - Budapest route got a surprise red car. It cost me a turn, but I did cut her off from the European Super Route. I finished all of my routes and spent the rest of my cars filling up the right-hand side of the board. I won this game too, since my route went from Edinburgh to Athena, then up the side of the board to Moskva.

Both games were thoroughly enjoyed by both of us. We realize that it would get old if there were no other games to play in the meantime (and we do have several, although nothing compared to some of the collections I've seen here.) but it was quite an enjoyable way to spend the evening.

I wholeheartedly recommend this game. Fantastic. Great for family folks (like us) who want a quick game for two people and can still pull out the same game when you have friends over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.