Merudo
United States
Asheville
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the manual at page 21, it is written that

Quote:

At the end of the Combat Phase, if you have at least one Ship in a hex that has no population, remove the previous controller’s Influence Disc (returning it to his Influence Track). After this, you may place your own Influence Disc there. Also, if at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there.

It's not clear to me in which order this needs to be done.

For example, suppose player A used up all his discs before the Combat Phase. During Combat, player A loses one sector, but also kill all population of an enemy sector. Can player A move the Influence Disk from his lost sector to the sector he recently conquered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat - where ships are destroyed

then

Bombardment - where population is killed and discs are returned

then

Influence - where new discs are placed, this includes hexes where no combat took place but you have a ship

( More directly answering ... technically, the player does not move the disc from one hex to another. Instead, it is returned to his played board in bombardment, and then may be placed on the new hex during influence. Yes, this results in the same end state. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is mentioned in the unofficial FAQ, which refers to this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C. Hamlin
United States
Medina
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vanish wrote:
Combat - where ships are destroyed

then

Bombardment - where population is killed and discs are returned

then

Influence - where new discs are placed, this includes hexes where no combat took place but you have a ship

( More directly answering ... technically, the player does not move the disc from one hex to another. Instead, it is returned to his played board in bombardment, and then may be placed on the new hex during influence. Yes, this results in the same end state. )

The influence disk is not actually removed during bombardment. Technically, it is not removed until the Influence phase. It does not really matter since the effect is the same. Here is the official rule from page 21 of the Eclipse rulebook.

INFLUENCING HEXES: At the end of the Combat Phase, if you have at least one Ship in a hex that has no population, remove the previous controller's Influence Disc (returning it to his Influence Track). After this, you may place your own Influence Disc there. Also, if at the end of the Combat Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you may place a disc there.

So, the official rules do not say what order new influence discs should be placed. But the author of the game, Touko Tahkokallio, posted this: "You should use the descending hex order when placing the influence discs" in this reply.

So, the official rule for the influencing section of combat seems to be:
(1) Simultaneously remove all influence discs from systems where there are no population cubes left after bombardment, and then
(2) In descending hex order, choose to place influence discs.

-J.C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vende Vendetta
Spain
santiago de compostela
A CORUñA
flag msg tools
J.C.Hamlin wrote:
[q="Vanish"]Combat - where ships are destroyed

So, the official rule for the influencing section of combat seems to be:
(1) Simultaneously remove all influence discs from systems where there are no population cubes left after bombardment, and then
(2) In descending hex order, choose to place influence discs.

-J.C.

I do not interpret the words of Touko Tahkokallio on that way.

He said: "You should use the descending hex order when placing the influence discs." in response to whole block of rules (imho):

Influencing Hexes At the end of the Combat Phase, if you
have at least one Ship in a hex that has no population, remove
the previous controller’s Influence Disc (returning
it to his Influence Track). After this, you may place your
own Influence Disc there. Also, if at the end of the Combat
Phase your Ship is in a hex without an Influence Disc, you
may place a disc there.

Otherwise, what would be the point of placing influence discs in descending order if all of your lost discs has been already collected?

Sorry for the broken English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vendettarock wrote:

Otherwise, what would be the point of placing influence discs in descending order if all of your lost discs has been already collected?

Sorry for the broken English.

To know if one of your enemies is going to claim a specific hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vende Vendetta
Spain
santiago de compostela
A CORUñA
flag msg tools
I am not convinced. Is there any official comment about the simultaneous disc recovery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vendettarock wrote:
I am not convinced. Is there any official comment about the simultaneous disc recovery?

There is none, because the order doesn't matter here.
Removing dics is not optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vende Vendetta
Spain
santiago de compostela
A CORUñA
flag msg tools
I know is not optional.

But removing a enemy discs sequentially or simultaneously is not the same.

Especially when you have no discs and needs to influence a Sector III hex and you can recover a sec I influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vendettarock wrote:
I know is not optional.

But removing a enemy discs sequentially or simultaneously is not the same.

Especially when you have no discs and needs to influence a Sector III hex and you can recover a sec I influence.

I doesn't matter at all.
First you remove all discs.
Only later you may place new discs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vende Vendetta
Spain
santiago de compostela
A CORUñA
flag msg tools
I understand you, but im asking about any official comment about "First you remove all discs." thing.

My point reading the rules is the whole block of rules applies hex by hex.

First hex, remove the enemy influence disc and put your own if you wish, and so on.

Like i said, the Touko´s words in the previous post could be in response to whole paragraph of rules. Not only in the "placing" thing. Thats why im asking for another official comment.

Its hard to me post in english, sorry guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antti Autio
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Gina, Escher gang leader (Necromunda). Don't mess with her or she'll kick your ass.. actually, she's gonna do it anyway!
mbmbmbmbmb

gives officia; answers also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
vendettarock wrote:
I understand you, but im asking about any official comment about "First you remove all discs." thing.

My point reading the rules is the whole block of rules applies hex by hex.

First hex, remove the enemy influence disc and put your own if you wish, and so on.

Like i said, the Touko´s words in the previous post could be in response to whole paragraph of rules. Not only in the "placing" thing. Thats why im asking for another official comment.

Its hard to me post in english, sorry guys.

I think they made it clear that it happens in two steps:

1) Remove disks - mandatory, simultaneous.

2) Place disks - ordered, optional

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.