Subject: No Earth Elemental Whinning Threads!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Yes, DoW has shot the "OMG, I can't get an Earth Elemental" threads down before they even got a chance to take off.

From the DoW forums:

Eric: "The earth elemental will be available off our web site by sometimes in January at the latest. The Hill Giant is already available, for pre-orders from FLGS or our web site."

http://www.daysofwonder.com/index.php?t=msg&th=8209&start=0&...

It's near the bottom.

So rejoice, you don't have to go to a convention to get one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schulzetenberg
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I was hoping for another thread as entertaining as the "$30 Hill Giant" thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's a shame

I mean... YAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I heard a rumour that it was going to be available only to people with The Mark...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I heard it's only going to be available for pre-order from me. You gotta send me a $20 check in the mail and I'll send you the Earth Elemental when it comes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm presuming we'll have to purchase it from them, after we wait three months or more.

Has anyone heard why living in Europe gets you the elemental for free, right now? Did they run out short of their expected preorders or something?

You know what would be a good idea? Why don't they have us save some sort of pre-order evidence, and turn it in when the elemental is widely available!

Maybe they could do it online, with the code keys that come with the games. Surely they can tell where in the print run my copy came, given the code!

I just want the elemental, people! I can't afford to go to no conventions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Baumbach
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scuzball wrote:

Has anyone heard why living in Europe gets you the elemental for free, right now?

I'm guessing it's called a "marketing ploy to lure in European buyers"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek McNamara
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From a business perspective I can understand why DOW would use this marketing ploy.

YET, as one who has purchased Memoire and all its expansions, it does leave a sour taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
emceekhan wrote:
Scuzball wrote:

Has anyone heard why living in Europe gets you the elemental for free, right now?

I'm guessing it's called a "marketing ploy to lure in European buyers"?

Maybe its called USD/EUR exchange rate...

70 euros = 88.6 USD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The EE is currently a promo in Europe, right? By DWTripp's definition (on the HG thread), a promo is free. However, if DoW plans to sell the EE on their website, doesn't that mean the EE isn't really free?

(scratches head)

This whole "opportunity cost" and Price vs. Cost thing is just so confusing. (said with tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
The EE is a promo to be given in gaming conventions and such. DoW decided to dell it also for people that cannot attend such venues.

That's what I understand anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We never said we would be selling the Earth Elemental, did we? wow I guess some just like to jump the gun for the sake of it shake
All we ever said was that we would find a way to make the Earth Elemental available, via our web site, to people who cannot easily attend conventions or demos. When we eventually do so, it will be handled the same way we've done with other promotional items in the past (ie free of charge, except for a minimal shipping and handling charge if you do not order anything else along with it).
Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news and even better that it'll just be w/ a S&H charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,

Good to hear about the availability of the EE. Please don't take my posts the wrong way. I just like poking fun at the other BGG members who can't see the relative merits of both sides of a discussion.

Personally, I've always received excellent games and customer service from DoW. If you check my profile, you'll see how highly I rate DoW games. Your games hit the table at my house more than any other game company. I just saw an opportunity to support a fellow local boardgamer and join a lively discussion on retail channels and promo offers.

Please keep producing great games and we'll keep buying them and talking about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,

My name is Jim and I am a Borgaholic...

There, I've said it now. I own Battle Cry and have two copies each of Memoir '44 and ALL of its expansions. Not seriously into sticking labels as a full-time occupation, so I have not as yet succumbed to C&C Ancients. There may be hope for me yet.

And yes, I have to admit that I have pre-ordered BattleLore and, since I live in Scotland, look forward to getting the Hill Giant and the Earth Elemental with it.

This is not released until late November and already my hands are trembling from the boardgamer's equivalent of Delirium Tremens.

Let this be a warning to you all; I envy you who can resist. Days of Wonder's perfidious marketing stratagems are encouraging the debate about whether or not it is morally sound to tempt gamers with the prospect of NOT being able to acquire a particular piece and at the same time leading souls like myself down the road to ruin.

I have just one to say to DoW. Keep it up. Gamers nowadays are spoiled for choice and when grown adults can have a serious (or not so serious) debate over a bit of plastic, I can only say that the gaming world is flourishing.

Jim O'Neill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthew, Jim,
Thanks for the goodhearted comments .
eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Wow Eric, that's awesome. My only reservation about this thng was the availbility of the Earth Elemental. Now I'm completely sold.

You may be getting messages soon, begging for mercy. They're from my bank account, you can ignore them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.