Forbidden Island» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Skull shaped tile layout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three player game; me, Hanska and J. We dealt random roles. I was the explorer, Hanska was messenger and J was engineer. Also used a random setup from the alternative setup cards, found here. Ended up getting the skull shaped setup. Difficulty level was normal.

We started playing. Flooded tiles were close to each other and it was easy to support them with the engineer. It took some time to draw the first water rises card. That was lucky and it made the game a bit easier. We were able to get two treasures before the first reshuffle.

Just after the first reshuffle first draw was a water rises card. Fool’s landing got flooded. Luckily the next player were close to the Fool’s landing and supported the tile. Next draw from the treasure deck was another water rises card. What a luck that we got the Fool’s landing supported. That also meant there was only one water rise left in the deck. The deck was smaller so we didn’t have much time. The island were sinking rapidly.

The Messenger is a good character. With it’s ability we were able to get the treasure cards to the right players and picked up the last two treasures. We didn’t have time to support many tiles while getting the treasures. Everybody moved to the Fool’s landing and we flew away. The half of the island were sunken and the water level meter was rising.

If the Fool’s landing were in right or left upper corner or near, this setup would be bad. If the Fool’s landing is flooding in the beginning the game would be hard. Have to test other alternative setups as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a fun session!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Ryan
United States
Moreno Valley
California
flag msg tools
ive played this game a lot and i have made a house rule that whoever has never played the game before gets to set up the tiles however they like so as to create a new island each time. If there is nobody who hasnt played then i close my eyes and set it up by feel into a random shape.

every game is different, but we have the same win/lose ratio as playing with a boring diamond.

i think it has to do with how tiles disappear throughout the game anyway, so a new shape only makes it more exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oxyrosis wrote:
ive played this game a lot and i have made a house rule that whoever has never played the game before gets to set up the tiles however they like so as to create a new island each time. If there is nobody who hasnt played then i close my eyes and set it up by feel into a random shape.

every game is different, but we have the same win/lose ratio as playing with a boring diamond.

i think it has to do with how tiles disappear throughout the game anyway, so a new shape only makes it more exciting.

Nice way of doing the setup. Just have to be a little creative and try to make the game even harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.