Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: tanga [+] [View All]
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    The delivery of my copy of Alhambra has stalled in FedEx Ground. It left Salt Lake City on Saturday morning and nothing has been heard from it since. The tracking site still indicates an expected delivery date of October 25th, but that's just hours away now so I am not optimistic.

A fellow bgg-er has indicated on the tanga blog that he contacted FedEx who said (this is second-hand mind you) "the item made it to the Fed-Ex warehouse, and disappeared." They have put a trace on his copy, which only had to travel half as far. I picture a big skid of identical packages sitting on the loading dock soaked in rain.

This wasn't an expensive purchase so I'm not too terribly torn up. Given the price I paid, a three week delivery time wouldn't bother me. However I think it would be appropriate for FedEx to revise their delivery time for a package that no longer appears to exist, at least to them.

I had hoped to play it with family at our get-together this coming weekend. I think those plans need to be revised.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can relate Sag, as I am the one who contacted Fed-Ex and was just about to drop you a private message on here until I saw that you posted.

They said they will get back to me within 24-48 hours, which means I wont hear anything til Friday. Your hopes of playing this weekend should be adjusted.

I'll make sure to post on here as soon as I here something from them, but I'm pretty sure that once they find the product that all of the tracking numbers for anyone who ordered this will be updated.

I'm not a huge fan of UPS, but I hate Fed-Ex. Which reminds me of a joke.

What do you get when you cross Fed-Ex and UPS?

Fed-Up!!!

I've had way too many experiences with Fed-ex on denied claims that I wont ever use them again if I have a choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I contacted them as well and the woman on the phone (this second time) indicated that if the package is not beyond it's anticipated delivery date that nothing will happen on their end. I suppose that is fair enough although I am surprised it would travel so slowly and not result in a trail.

What was your anticipated delivery date?

My tracker link is

http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?language=english&cntry_code=us...

if you want to compare notes.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine took about 3 days to get from Salt Lake to its next stop... I live in Michigan, so it decided to stop in Minnesota, which is almost on the way (NOT)...

Oct 24, 2006 2:37 PM
Arrived at FedEx location
SAINT PAUL, MN

Oct 21, 2006 4:13 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
NORTH SALT LAKE, UT

(My expected delivery is Thursday.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sag,

Not that this is necessarily the case, but I've seen FedEx not update their tracking information, only to have the package show up right when estimated. Shortly after delivery they filled in the "gaps" in the package's travel.

I would just contact Fedex yourself and ask for an update on the estimated arrival and status.

-Greg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I did contact them, and (the second time) the woman indicated that short of any new information the estimated delivery date stands. I will leap to the conclusion that she will not repeat that if the game delivers after tomorrow. The first time I contacted them a different woman felt that the lack of information indicated trouble.

Again, I don't want to whine too much, and I fully understand this is beyond Tanga's control. I'm just a bit curious that "FedEx Overnight" literally updated their web site before the truck had finished backing out of my driveway and I have received no information on this package since Salt Lake City. When a second person indicated they had the same problem I felt it was worth mentioning to set expectations properly.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sag,

I don't know if this is true in your situation, but I have regularly had FedEx packages arrive the day after the estimated delivery date. When this happened to me, the estimated delivery date was not changed until the late evening. So good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was supposed to be here today. When our regular Fed-Ex driver showed up with only 2 large packages, I knew the game was not going to be on time, and that is when I called. (I'm all to familiar with there procedures). Since it was supposed to be here today and hadn't arrived, that is when they decided they would do a trace on it.

I had also recently ordered Vegas Showdown from Toys-r-us, and it had an expected delivery date of yesterday, and it showed up yesterday. Package information had been update on it throughout, but not on my Alhambra order from Tanga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had packages arrive late, after FedEx was already searching for it, and had them *call me* and ask if it had shown up! I never use them to mail anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't get too worked up until it's a day or two late. I too have had it show up on time and watched as the tracking info didn't update until the next day. But a day late isn't unheard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My understanding of FedEx Ground is that it has little to do with "normal" FedEx (I imagine they use the same warehouses and planes). I believe it originally began as Roadway Package Systems, which FedEx purchased and renamed. If you never had any experience with RPS as an independent company, you are lucky - they were the worst delivery company I have ever dealt with, bar none. I heard more recently that FedEx Ground drivers were solely independent contractors, which may mean they dumped all the RPS staff (a bright move on their part, if so), but I have not verified that.

In any case, I never use FedEx Ground if I can possibly help it. Regular FedEx is generally fine. I realize that this does not help you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Teemer
United States
Prosper
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I clicked on your Fedex link and it shows a delivery date of Oct 26. It also says FedEx Ground. Since it is going by ground, you won't get an update on the tracking as it is on a truck between Salt Lake and Maryland. Once it arrives in MD, the tracking will show it arrived at their location there. I am thinking you will receive it tomorrow. Let's see if I am correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
FWIW - I got my box w/ 3 copies of Alhambra inside yesterday (24 Oct) at about 11 AM. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area - so 4 calendar day / 2 business day for me.

This was on the scheduled delivery date also. My experience is that FedEx ground doesn't update all that often. In fact, I had no updates since the package shipped until I saw the delivery note yesterday. In fact, over the weekend...I even had a "tracking number not found" from the website.

But in the end, I did get the games. Well packaged also. Looks like they took a shipping box for 6 copies of Alhambra and filled it with peanuts (and 3 copies of the game) and shipped those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Yim
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are delivery hate stories aplenty and I don't want to ignite that thread, but let's just say that when I lived in another town, my local driver had this habit of marking packages delivered BEFORE he actually put them on my doorstep. Sometimes days before. I guess he wanted to keep his deliveries on schedule. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    It's certainly too early to get all that concerned -- I'm happy to hear that some copies have indeed arrived so the entire skid is not sitting on the loading dock in the rain.

Did not realize FedEx Ground was the remains of RPS. I'm surprised they do tracking at all if it isn't updated. Sort of pointless.

Quick survey -- anyone east of the Mississippi get theirs yet?

Oasis is up tonight. Anyone want to recommend?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brien Croteau
United States
Drayden
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine today, I live north of Seattle, WA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my tracking says on delerivey truck, and the estimated ship date isn't untill tomorrow.

I'm in VA, so close to farthest from the briget center of the universe which is Tanga.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karrde wrote:
Well, my tracking says on delerivey truck, and the estimated ship date isn't untill tomorrow.

I'm in VA, so close to farthest from the briget center of the universe which is Tanga.

Hey I am in NJ...and I'll get mine tomorrow. Don't like FedEx Ground that much. They can never find my house, 'cause they are changing drivers too many times in my area. Our UPS driver....she's been here forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talrich wrote:
Sag,

Not that this is necessarily the case, but I've seen FedEx not update their tracking information, only to have the package show up right when estimated. Shortly after delivery they filled in the "gaps" in the package's travel.

I would just contact Fedex yourself and ask for an update on the estimated arrival and status.

-Greg

I have to ditto the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Neff
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I did get a call from FedEx this morning......

AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHERE THE PACKAGE IS!!!!!

They asked for information regarding the contents, cost and size of the package, but their trace came up empty and they are continuing to search for it.

Wow, my confidence in their abilities to ship effectively is as stagnant as ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arcadian Del Sol
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First a personal encoded message:
Sag - sorry i missed the group's phone call: was very very ill the past two days.

Now for the public message:

I've done a LOT of online buying and I can tell you that for reliability, nothing touches UPS. Nothing. FedEx being a distant second place, DOES do a great job of moving boxes - but what hurts them is that they do a HORRIBLE job of keeping everyone updated on the current physical location of said packages. I've had FedEx shipments show up at my door and the online tracking for it was entirely blank. Also, Salt Lake City is a "hub" - one of four in the continental United States in fact. That means that from Salt Lake City, your box goes on an airplane. Depending upon its final destination, that plane ride might be a few hours (St. Louis) or it might be significantly longer (New York or Pittsburg). It takes a long time to unload an entire airplane than a truck, so boxes packed in the back of the hold might be there a day or two - with no updates. While they might be sitting in a container at a warehouse in Pittsburgh, there may be a 24 to 48 hour period where the online tracking will still show that it was processed at Salt Lake City.

Now if you, like Sag, live a few hours drive from New York or Pittsburg, it is quite possible that your package will be on your front porch before the website has been updated to indicate that the plane landed with your box two days prior.

Also, I've lost several packages that were sent by FedEx. In once case, a box from a different company showed up, and inside it was a mangled and crushed box from FedEx - that obviously had fallen off a truck or a skiff and was run over. Left to rot on the road, this other company took the time to pull over, pick it up, rebox it, and send it to me at no charge with an explanation of how they found that box.

That company was UPS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived yesterday in Austin, MN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Let me clear the air here, especially for Arcadia. I do work at FedEx Express.

First, SLC is not a FedEx EXPRESS hub. That's who you are talking about. It's a FedEx GROUND hub. HUGE HUGE HUGE difference. Do you really think it takes 2 days to unload an aircraft? Seriously. I've unloaded those puppies in 20 minutes, and that's an MD11 (for those who don't know, think big airplane)... No air cargo company would be in business if it took 2 days to unload an aircraft.

The AIR hubs for FedEx Express are Memphis, Anchorage, Paris, Subic Bay, PI, Newark, and Indianapolis. Those are the big hitters. Miami is our gateway hub to South America... again, that is Air side.

Now, on to FedEx Ground and the shipping from SLC. It is ALL shipped by ground if it is sent FedEx Ground. There is NO air shipping of FedEx Ground. That's why you can't use FedEx Ground to ship an International package overseas. Go ahead, try it. You'll be using FedEx Express then.

About FedEx Ground, I am disappointed in their service as well. I have had issues with them before, but I've also had issues with UPS as well. Is tracking your package really that big of a deal when you are still going to get it? What'd ya do 20 years ago when there wasn't package tracking (except for FedEx that is). When something was mailed USPS did you go all haywire and bonkers because an "estimated" delivery date (which was never given) may be off a day or two? It's not a guaranteed delivery date... that's why it is "estimated". Big difference in definitions there. FedEx Ground is cheaper than UPS from what I've seen as far as price goes.

In all fairness, EVERY delivery company will eventually mess up. Something will go wrong eventually, it's just the natural law of statistics. On December 18, FedEx plans to move 9.8 million packages in one night. Let's just say out of those, you have a 99% reliability rate. Well, guess what? That's about 100,000 packages that there was a problem or issue on, not necessarily created by FedEx either. But, still issues that have to be dealth with. Could your package be one of those? Sure it could. Do you think UPS or DHL has 100% reliability? You'd be dead wrong. Maybe every experience someone has with UPS is great, but not so great with FedEx. That may just be bad luck on FedEx's part, or good luck on UPS's part. But, it does work both ways.

Oh, and by the way, UPS has an airside as well. But, your shipments that go on UPS do not go on their planes either unless you are paying the bucks (just like at FedEx). It's all done by truck, unless it is overnight or 2 day delivery.

I think it all evens out in the wash honestly. I think FedEx Express does do the best job as far as any delivery company is concerned. And, FedEx Express reliability is head over heels better than any other package company out there. FedEx Express offers a money back guarantee on time definite delivery with circumstances within our control. (ie - hurricane in the neighborhood... act of God... nothing we can do about that nor can UPS or DHL or whoever...).

FedEx Ground is a separate entity and does not offer time definite service... just like the same service UPS offers, unless you are shipping it by Overnight delivery. All the companies really are very similiar to each other, FedEx copies some UPS moves... UPS does the same, etc... It all boils down to options given and service provided. Every company will mess up on service eventually, but overall, I think experiences are far better than most people give delivery companies credit for.

Arcadia, do you work for UPS, thus the misinformation on FedEx?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    A point I made earlier is that it's kind of pointless to have tracking if the package is not tracked. That's the source of my concern and why I originally called FedEx. Had there been no tracking, I have no doubt I would have assumed that Tanga hadn't even sent it out yet, which is undoubtedly why they sent me the tracking number.

FedEx does seem a bit concerned about this package, although it's not a consensus. I appreciate that Tanga is looking to get these games to you for as close to "free" as they can possibly manage and for that reason have chosen a low cost carrier. So I wasn't expecting miracles. When I heard other people were not seeing it show up I decided to open a thread.

I don't think anyone is confusing FedEx Ground with FedEx Express, but thank you for the primer on the subject. Always interesting to see inside someone else's world.

Oh, and Arcadian Del Sol is pursuing a promising career as a Country/Western singer in the heartland. I can vouch that he has no connection to UPS, although he is exceptionally qualified to respond to your question without my help. I'm sure he will. Good to hear he's feeling better.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FedeEx sucks yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.