Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmanuel Dario Fernandez Arcidiacono
Argentina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello everyone, I've recently come to terms with the undeniable fact that I should sleeve everything in my games that can be sleeved... now, knowing bgg, I'm pretty sure that for each game there must be somewhere info on the recommended type (standard american/european, or mini, etc)...

Am I correct? and if so, where should I check?

Thanks for your time
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Card Sleeve Sizes for Games

Specifically: Item - "Android: Netrunner"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick the cheapest option available to sleeve Magic cards. You will need a LOT of sleeves
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nushura wrote:
Pick the cheapest option available to sleeve Magic cards. You will need a LOT of sleeves


On the flip side, just sleeve the cards you are playing with, and the few that are actually valuable. I have no idea why you would sleeve MtG cards otherwise.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
Nushura wrote:
Pick the cheapest option available to sleeve Magic cards. You will need a LOT of sleeves


On the flip side, just sleeve the cards you are playing with, and the few that are actually valuable. I have no idea why you would sleeve MtG cards otherwise.


It's this weird cross section... You get a bunch of board gamers who sleeve everything out of habit, and then they start playing a CCG-style game and it never even occurs to them that that's freaking ludicrous in this style game.

Just sleeve your decks.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Vaduva
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sleeve my decks; I use one color for my corp decks and one color for my runner decks, so that I can swap common cards between decks (i.e. Sure Gambles, Jackson Howard, etc.).

Sleeves for Magic cards work well and fit nicely. I used to use the UltraPro matted sleeves, since they seemed to be the cheapest fitted sleeves (i.e. not penny sleeves), and it worked out well for the last 18 months. But, it seems that all the new batches have dimples on the back to corresponds to the hologram logo on the front. I wouldn't recommend them anymore. Has anyone else had this problem with new batches of UltraPro sleeves?

I'm trying out KMC Hyper MAT and they seem pretty good, but I've only played one game with a deck in those sleeves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tvaduva wrote:
I just sleeve my decks; I use one color for my corp decks and one color for my runner decks, so that I can swap common cards between decks (i.e. Sure Gambles, Jackson Howard, etc.).

Sleeves for Magic cards work well and fit nicely. I used to use the UltraPro matted sleeves, since they seemed to be the cheapest fitted sleeves (i.e. not penny sleeves), and it worked out well for the last 18 months. But, it seems that all the new batches have dimples on the back to corresponds to the hologram logo on the front. I wouldn't recommend them anymore. Has anyone else had this problem with new batches of UltraPro sleeves?

I'm trying out KMC Hyper MAT and they seem pretty good, but I've only played one game with a deck in those sleeves.


Ultra Pro are a fine budget option, but I've always found Dragon Shield and KMC Hyper Mattes are the best brands. I prefer Shields for normal stuff, they're snug and super durable, but KMC sizes their sleeves for double sleeving, which I use on decks with old, valuable cards in them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultra Pro pennies. Sleeve everything. Saves you the headache of taking cards out of sleeves and into sleeves every time you want to change your deck.

Only sleeving my deck... Omg I'd die. As if actually finding the card/s in the first place wasn't enough trouble :/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
No matter what you pick, you'll be replacing sleeves more often in this game. While a worn out sleeve in another game isn't likely to tip any information of great value; in this game it can actually lead to agenda pulls since agendas are the cards least likely to not be played (especially the good ones), and that means shuffling cards between sleeves and replacing sleeves pretty regularly. For this reason I wouldn't ever bother to sleeve my entire set; I do have a lot of sleeves, but it's basically every month to two months I rotate out the crappiest sleeves in the set.

Also, you probably want to go with opaque sleeves because of the way promo and draft cards work if you ever plan on possibly playing with those.

Short: Only sleeve your deck and pay attention to wear and tear on them as it can cost you games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
Ultra Pro pennies. Sleeve everything. Saves you the headache of taking cards out of sleeves and into sleeves every time you want to change your deck.

Only sleeving my deck... Omg I'd die. As if actually finding the card/s in the first place wasn't enough trouble :/


Penny sleeves are so bad, they are literally not worth a single penny. The whole point of sleeves is to protect your card from damage and dirt and to make the cards easier to shuffle and play with. Penny sleeves do none of these things; just put your unused cards in a cardbox or binder. They'll be where you left them, and my man Gum on Shoe is right, if you do what you're suggesting, you'll quickly have a marked deck, and doubly fast with cheap sleeves.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
No matter what you pick, you'll be replacing sleeves more often in this game. While a worn out sleeve in another game isn't likely to tip any information of great value; in this game it can actually lead to agenda pulls since agendas are the cards least likely to not be played (especially the good ones), and that means shuffling cards between sleeves and replacing sleeves pretty regularly. For this reason I wouldn't ever bother to sleeve my entire set; I do have a lot of sleeves, but it's basically every month to two months I rotate out the crappiest sleeves in the set.

Also, you probably want to go with opaque sleeves because of the way promo and draft cards work if you ever plan on possibly playing with those.

Short: Only sleeve your deck and pay attention to wear and tear on them as it can cost you games.


When I deal with random pick from hands, I shuffle them, put them down, and ask the opponent to pick a number up to the number of cards in hand, then I count them off the top in plain view. It eliminates the common dumb mistake of pulling 3 cards at a time and going "oops". And sleeve-scounting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
Tuism wrote:
Ultra Pro pennies. Sleeve everything. Saves you the headache of taking cards out of sleeves and into sleeves every time you want to change your deck.

Only sleeving my deck... Omg I'd die. As if actually finding the card/s in the first place wasn't enough trouble :/


Penny sleeves are so bad, they are literally not worth a single penny. The whole point of sleeves is to protect your card from damage and dirt and to make the cards easier to shuffle and play with. Penny sleeves do none of these things; just put your unused cards in a cardbox or binder. They'll be where you left them, and my man Gum on Shoe is right, if you do what you're suggesting, you'll quickly have a marked deck, and doubly fast with cheap sleeves.


They do protect from damage and make the cards easier for shuffling. And being "marked" is really not an issue. For serious tournaments I have opaque sleeves that I take. For regular everyday play all my cards are sleeved.

Saves a million years in sleeving and re-sleeving during deck assembly. Trust me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to be a member of the "sleeve everything" camp. Everything sleeved in Mayday penny sleeves. As people have mentioned, the sleeves would wear unevenly, hedge funds and sure gambles for example.

Then, one week before a big tournament (last years boston regionals I think), I wanted to play with promo cards, so I splurged and went "upscale" to the FFG opaque sleeves... and I never want to go back to penny sleeves.

So I de-sleeved everything, and just have my decks sleeved. It means that my boxes can store more cards and my binders hold more pages.



Plus, some cards just never need to be sleeved at all. (Window)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hernandez
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's because I come from a MTG background but to me sleeving everything seems inefficient and penny sleeving expensive decks seems like a mismatch. That's why I only sleeve my active decks with premium sleeves and keep everything else to binders.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I sleeve everything in Ultra Pro sleeves. Occasionally needs replacing (my hedge funds in particular) but I prefer this to re-sleeving every deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.