Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks a well loved beautiful game with a founadtion in history, but if the kickstarter is to succeed more gameplay information is needed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nina Park
United States
flag msg tools
Hey Martin! I'm the project manager of Fujian Trader. Thanks for your comment. Is there any specifically you'd like to see or feel that it's important to have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I just learned about this game yesterday, and the kickstarter is ending today (530pm EDT)

The game is definitely steeped in history, and the east Asian theme is cool. Production looks great. Definitely has player interaction. Awesome map - I want to play a game on that map!

I'm a little concerned about the combat, which is won by the player who rolls higher on 2d6 after adding bonuses from spending resources. Is that too luck driven or is it mostly influenced by the purchased resources? Given the lack of info, I doubt I'll get an answer, meaning I won't kickstart it.

Another reason I won't kickstart it is that it looks like it won't matter: the kickstart needs $12000 of the $39500 goal in the next 6 hours [oops, that's 30 hours].

Nina:

BoardGameGeek is a great resource for boardgame kickstarters, and this campaign barely scratched the surface of using it. Honestly, I could see you getting another $12000 of pledges from BGG. BGGers tend to like historical games, and the east Asian one is a good one. And the map is awesome!

I do believe the game would have to answer the question I pose: does the 2d6 in combat make the game too luck-driven, or do the players' choices make more of a difference? If it's more based on players' choices, it has a good chance to find support on BGG.

I know there are resources for people running kickstarter campaigns here, including ?lists I think it was? of specific things to do to get more support. Off the top of my head, there are a few people you could send the game to, who might check it out & play it & post a review (Radho, UndeadViking, Tom Vasel). It would even help if you could get someone to make a print-n-play copy and review that. You can also take out an ad' on the front page.

I know it's too late to do anything like that for this campaign, but it's good info if the team considers retring the campaign. That worked for a game I did kickstart, Forged in Steel: they had a failed kickstarter, but retried, did those things I just mentioned, and did make its goal.

Also, I share Martin's desire for more info on gameplay. From my perspective, the how-to videos and review from Tabletop Gaming News are a good start, but more is needed. How does it feel to play - is it lots of thinking and concentrating, or a fun romp? Is it balanced - do all the strategic pieces have similar influence on who wins? Is it more luck based or strategy based?

I'm interested in the game - but need more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nina Park
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for your advice Peter!

We actually end tomorrow at 5:30pm EDT!

As for the combat question, combat usually doesn't become vital until mid to late game. Our rules allow for negotiation, and you get a lot of interesting player interaction because of that. So while the combat is determined via die roll, we've seen attacking players offer the defending players a different port and have "combated" that way. We've also seen multiple players gang up on the winning player and be willing to pay the cost for combat when another non-winning player is attacking the winning player. It's also a good strategy to try and wait when your opponent has sold many of their resources so they're unable to fight you for long. Fortune cards that you have hidden in your hand may also give you a small boost to attack or defense.

So are things like combat and more specifics/clarification of the rules something that we could add in the "More Information" section of our BGG page? I assume that talking about player interaction via negotiation is another good thing to put in there?

Again, thanks for all your help! All this advice is amazing and if we don't make our goal, rest assured that won't be the last you hear of us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, tomorrow, not today - got it!

Quote:
attacking players offer the defending players a different port

Do you mean the defending players offer the attacking players a different port? If not... I'm not understanding.

In my book, negotiations, timing attacks based on resources and small boosts from fortune cards are good things. Ganging up on the winning player, not as much of a good thing, since that can sometimes lead to kingmaking, where players with no chance of winning determine the winner by who they choose to attack - but I'm usually the one being attacked, and I'm used to it.

I've seen notes like about combat and more specifics about rules added to the "More Information", yes. Adding a whole Forum article about it can be better, since it can hold more info, and the new article appears on the BGG front page, so more chance of catching someone's eye with it.

Quote:
if we don't make our goal, rest assured that won't be the last you hear of us!

Happy to hear that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nina Park
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
Do you mean the defending players offer the attacking players a different port? If not... I'm not understanding.

Yes! Sorry for my convoluted explanation! Looking back on it, it was awkwardly worded, haha.

Usually I see players valuing ports more than resources since owning a route (2 connected ports) or a region (4 ports of the same color) is worth more victory points than resources or silver. However, holding onto a route/region runs the risk of not diversifying your ports which could hurt you later on.

Quote:
but I'm usually the one being attacked, and I'm used to it.

Haha, I guess you're just too good at games then!

Once again, thanks for all your advice! It's been invaluable and I never thought to make a forum article on our BGG page about more in depth rules/strategy. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.