Popular Tags: essen [+] convention [+] [View All]
Mark Stadel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now that everyone has just returned from the big show, what is it like from an traveller's point of view? I mean, parking, transportation, hotels, etc ... is it a quiet little convention that you can just roll into town for, or is some all-consuming monster that brings the city to its knees for an entire weekend?

I'd love to go but would rather tack it onto the end of a seperate holiday, but how crazy is it? How much advancing booking do you need? Do people start planning for Essen 2007 now? What were the costs like? General impressions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the FAQ...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120409

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tacked mine in the middle of a holiday, which meant hauling 110 pounds of games on the trains around Europe. (mistake).

The big cost is the games. The hotels are very reasonable and the food is cheap, too (compared to other cities in Europe).

Thursday is the best day to focus on. I had done 90% of my purchases on Thursday. Saturday was too crowded for my comfort.

I would say that it is a very worthwhile trip.. once.

I blogged about it over at
snicholson.livejournal.com
starting on Oct. 18th.

I'm going to do a BGWS show all about How to Do Essen as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
This was my second time. I enjoy seeing all the various people that I know from my gaming travels. And the event itself is quite an amazing shopping mall which happens only once a year. However, once you've walked around the shopping mall, there's not a great many things to do. Getting a game can be a bit trying, depending on what you're looking for, especially on Friday and Saturday. As Scott mentions, Thursday's usually for buying and seeing what the choices are.

I haven't decided if I'll go back again next year. Then again, I might have to to buy more games for BGG.CON!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
nomad001 wrote:
So, now that everyone has just returned from the big show, what is it like from an traveller's point of view? I mean, parking, transportation, hotels, etc ... is it a quiet little convention that you can just roll into town for, or is some all-consuming monster that brings the city to its knees for an entire weekend?

Quiet little convention - hmmm, 151.000 visitors don't sound quiet and little. The show is huge but it won't bring the city to its knees

parking: Didn't expect it - just 4 bucks for the whole day at the Messe, cheaper then I ever saw it in other cities and conventions.

Going to the fair while staying in Essen - subway. The entrance / exit to the subway - station is right in front of the Messe - center.

Going by car from outside - 2 large traffic jams due to:
a) reducing the lanes on the highway (autobahn) to only one while major traffic time, thanks jokers, no one was working on the other lanes, they were just blocked
b) major traffic time around Essen (and the Ruhrgebiet) - the major area around

Costs us about one hour.

Planning for 2007 - definitely, marked in my calendar to plan the vacation accordingly.

After the show is before the show (so to say)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.