Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Riley
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While trying to find other players for a couple PBEM games, an idea came to me: It would be cool to have one site where you could find other people to play PBEM games with. You could sign-up for games, include your skill level, turn frequency expectations, platform preference (e.g. vassal, cyberboard), scenarios/expansions, etc. You could invite specific players, open a game up to others or just add yourself to a list of people interested in a game. The site would not be a host for any of these games just a place to meet and organize. It could also include date stamps for people/posts, so you can get a feel for how ‘fresh’ things are.

Is there a site like this now? All I have found are yahoo groups for specific games and a few places to add your name to a list, but no way to know how recently anyone else has been there.

This would be a fun project for me to do if there is some interest in it and the probability that it will be used. What do you think?

Also, I would welcome help with the project. Let me know if you are interested in helping code, design or have ideas for features.

-Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a critical-mass problem in getting it going, but yes, I'd use such a thing if it existed.

Might also be able to help on the coding front, although time is limited and my web-based sk1llz are somewhat behind the cutting edge these days... Are you already kicking any ideas around about platform, language, back-end, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes please.

However, I think the technical challenges of creating such a website will be small compared to the challenge of getting enough users to make it useful. Maybe modeling it on the social networking sites like myspace, linkedin, or orkut would be helpful (i.e. you create an account, then send invites to all your friends asking them to come to the website and create their profiles and start creating/joining games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riley
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
Might also be able to help on the coding front, although time is limited and my web-based sk1llz are somewhat behind the cutting edge these days... Are you already kicking any ideas around about platform, language, back-end, etc?

Yes, I'm a big fan of ruby on rails(http://www.rubyonrails.org/). I'm working on a couple of other projects in it right now. It should do everything well. I'd welcome your help!

-Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riley
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
squonk wrote:
However, I think the technical challenges of creating such a website will be small compared to the challenge of getting enough users to make it useful. Maybe modeling it on the social networking sites like myspace, linkedin, or orkut would be helpful (i.e. you create an account, then send invites to all your friends asking them to come to the website and create their profiles and start creating/joining games).

That's a great idea. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
HazMatt wrote:
Yes, I'm a big fan of ruby on rails(http://www.rubyonrails.org/). I'm working on a couple of other projects in it right now. It should do everything well.

will you blog about the development process? i would love to read about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riley
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
will you blog about the development process? i would love to read about it.

I could do that. I'd be interested in your coments/feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hey Matt,

I have no useful talent or skill, but I would welcome and utilize such a site.

THANKS

Bishop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.