Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to the Game Bistro at Kevin's last night and Jay had brought back Khronos. There were five of us so it worked out perfectly. Jay opened the box and we were initially happy with what we saw- good cardboard counters and a nice game board. However, when we got to the wooden pieces we were quite disappointed. They seemed to be made from vastly inferior wood. They were not even close to uniform in size and Amy even remarked that the cubes were "shedding". We punched counters and Jay started reading the rules.
This is a game that needs to be played as the rules are explained rather than having them read outloud and then playing. It took at least 30 minutes to hammer through the rules and several times I found my attention wandering. (The rules are dense and after our play it seemed that they could have been made more accessible with a few edits, revisions or even player aides.) We were then somewhat ready to begin.
Jay and I jumped to the Age of Reason (blue) as soon as there were buildings to move on. Amy and Kevin claimed the Age of Purple while we all kind of hunkered down in the Age of Orange.
At this point we all started to get the hang of the game. It was also at this point that Kevin remarked that it wasn't much of a "Euro" game and more of a war game. I would have to agree.
We made it to the first scoring round (turn four) and we scored. Amy and I both received 16, Jay 11, Mike 10 and Kevin 8. It was at this point, 1 1/2 hours into the game, that we decided to put it away. It was looking like it may be another hour of play and no one was too keen on continuing play, and Jay was tired from the trip back.
So take this review with a grain of salt, as we didn't finish the game. But then again, we didn't really want to finish the game. Overall I would say that it was not a game I would play again. One huge factor in this decision is the card play in the game. You take four cards and play up to four cards on your turn. You then discard the ones you don't play and get four new ones. This made the game too random for my tastes. There was really no way to plan or build any kind of strategy. You are at the mercy of your cards, even with the ability to pay and exchange cards from your hand.
I did like the theme and I thought it was well executed in the game. It had a neat mechanic of building buildings throughout the three ages and it was obvious that it was not just pasted on.
So, I would say if you are looking to play a longer game with a random play mechanic (card drawing) and you are willing to overlook the importance of getting the right cards in your hand from the beginning and you don't mind inferior quality cubes, then this might be a game for you. If you are looking for a game with a shorter playing time and predictability, then you might want to play someone's copy before you grab your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Kleinherne
Germany
Kassel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a similar experience while playing with three persons. The drawing-card-mechanism includes an often decisive amount of luck, because the amount of money (=victory points), 2 Ecus, you have to pay to draw all or some of the cards again is not that small.
So making the best out of the cards dealt to you is often the preferable option. Generally this is not the kind of game I tend to because it is almost an abstract game but weirdly I liked it, especially the consequences of building or destroying a building on different boards.
The German rules are a major disappointment. Frequently they confuse the boards (which is in most cases obvious). My advice for german players: read the french or english rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david franck
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi,

I think it's easy to make your own variant, isn't it ? Maybe like keeping the unused cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud URBON
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hello,

for the cube the publisher have your answer here :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/131895

for the luck in the card drawin you can have a look here :
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/132047

my opinion is that for the first play it is realy better to be less than five players. The first play is very much long than the second one.
This game is mainly a tactical game insted of strategic one. The goal is to do your best with cards you have. Changing his hand is only an expensive choice to allow to do the magical turn with a card you need absolutly at this turn.

Each turn players have a lot of choice :
- travelling in time,
- build new building
- upgrade building
- destroy small building
they can join or divide kindom.

focussing on one board and wait the good card is not the good way to play (and to win).
With his cards player has to find the best board, area and action.

After this begin of game do you really think you have take only your best choice ? do you think you have nothing to discover in this game ?

Arnaud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nono wrote:
This game is mainly a tactical game insted of strategic one. The goal is to do your best with cards you have.

The same can be said for E&T to some degree. You have to use the tiles you have or waste an action to exchange. And E&T is #2 or #3 on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Touchard
France
Rambouillet
Unspecified
flag msg tools
You always have something to do with your hand.
As previously said, you don't necessary draw the expected tile at E&T. However, E&T is a real great tactical game.
Furthermore, an experience Khronos player will always take precedence of rookie(s) meaning that the luck is not so important in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick reply to Arnaud-
I played the game and it wasn't a game I want to own or particularly play. Perhaps there is some aspect of the game that I failed to see in my first play; though it seemed to me that I "got it", but am just not interested in playing again. As I stated in my review, it's not my kind of game.
And I'm also not interested in playing a game that is brand new and already has variants to make it playable. Let the game stand on it's own and see how it does IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud URBON
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
zboat wrote:
already has variants to make it playable.

the aim of the variant is not this. The game is playable as is. In my opinion there is a difference between "not playable" and "not for me".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I played this at Essen last week, with an explanation of the rules from the designer (so presumably knew what he was talking about!). The explanation of the game took between 20 - 30 minutes, and there was still quite a lot of discussion after that. The initial turns were quite slow as we tried to come to grips with the mechanics, but things sped up significantly later on.

At the end of the game several subtleties became apparent, which we had not appreciated at the begining, especially the importance of the 1x1 buildings, which meant that there was usually something constructive you could do even with the worst of hands.

I suspect that, with experience, this will become a fast-moving and cutthroat game, lasting maybe one and a half hours. I believe that the issues with the rules being difficult to follow will be addressed, and the quality of the wooden pieces will be sorted.

Overall I was very impressed with this game - I thought that the way that the three "time zones" worked was very clever and very well thought out. It would have been my "game of the show" if we hadn't played "Gheos" later the same day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.