Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
If the Monkey Queen copies an ability that functions on other players' turns, does it have any affect?

Put another way, do the affects of her copied ability end when her activation is over?

More specifically, if she copies Spike's ability, obviously it benefits her on Payback and Guard reactions, but does it also hit other players who attack her on their turns?

I'm fine with speculation, but would especially love if anyone has a concrete rules reference to cite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Musab Abdulla
Bahrain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey Queen's ability specifically says '... for this turn'. Considering that the player turn description (rulebook, page 14) refers to individual player turns only, I believe this means that her copied ability lasts till the end of her current activation/turn only and does not carry over.

It also makes sense from both a record keeping (not having to keep track of the copied ability across multiple player turns and character activations) and character power perspective (MQ is not an instant lasting copy of any other character on the board she can see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree it makes sense. For some reason, I didn't read "for this turn" as for her turn specifically. But I agree with you. Thanks for the opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Blanthorn
United Kingdom
Weymouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
So are you saying she can only really use attack abilities (as such) never defence abilities unless it's during her activation where she sets off a guard reaction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Essentially, yes, though some abilities are neither attack nor defense (such as Wisp's, whose she could copy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.