Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

My favorite thing about Zombicide is the enormous amount of tools they've given me to make the zombie apocalypse game of my dreams.

As a note, I only play solitaire Zombicide, I use 4 survivors and they level from 1-10 over the course of a campaign. Once I have those all nailed down(I still fiddle with balance), I'll publish them here for anyone who is interested.

NOTE: This is not a thread for discussing our thoughts on the targeting priority rule. That discussion is in many different threads. No need to rehash it here. If your response is "why did you change it, it was fine already?" Please remember this is a forum for variants.

I've tested some common alternate rules for shooting. As I was unhappy with that aspect of the simulation.

I also never found noise to be a significant factor in any of my games.
(more on this later)

Now, if I simply removed survivors from the priority list, guns become incredibly powerful(if you'd like a more Resident Evil[the movies] feel, this is an easy way to get that sort of simulation.)

I played with variations on risk of hitting survivors with different types of weapons. For instance, automatic weapons are much more likely to hit your friends, pistols at close range can't, etc.

It didn't quite do it for me either. It added more complexity and left guns still feeling like a strictly better option than melee weapons.

Finally I settled on the three changes below and I really like what it does to gun balance. Again, this a variant, your enjoyment may vary.

1. Survivors move from first in target priority to after all walker types and right before the fatties. Basically priority 1.5
-You can now fire into zones filled with zombies safely, more thinned out zones with some risk, and nearly empty zones with great care.

2. Noise: Before spawning Zombies, for each noise token on a zone, count one zone towards all spawn zones using normal movement rules. If there is enough sound to reach a spawn zone, for each extra noise token on that zone, spawn 1 more of the type of zombie that spawns. If nothing would spawn, add a walker for each instead.

Example. Joshua has 6 noise tokens on his zone. He is three zones away from 1 spawn area and 5 away from 2 others. Counting his markers, he reaches one spawn zone in three steps. Therefore, tokens 3-6 all add to the spawn group in that zone. The other two zones are reached on tokens 5 and 6, so two extra zombies.(this happened last night. 7 runners on Orange. Ouch.).

3. Guns and Noise: Each time a ranged weapon, which makes noise, is fired, add noise tokens to the zone equal to its damage value.

Example 1: Phil has a pistol, he wishes it were better, but it's a pistol. He fires it two times. The pistol has a damage value of 1. He adds two noise tokens to his zone.

Example 2: Doug has two SMG's. They have a damage value of 1. He fires them both in one action. Then fires both again on his second action. He adds 4 tokens to his zone. Yes, it's just as loud as firing a pistol, but the SMG's are upgrades from the pistols anyway.

Example 3: Joshua has an automatic shotgun; He feels like it might be christmas. He's faced with a horde of zombies. Due to some poor rolls, he spends three actions firing the shotgun. It has a damage value of 2, so he adds 6 tokens to his space. This will almost certainly guarantee extra spawns from at least one spawn zone.

I like these rules for three reasons.

1. Noise matters now(maybe it's been a factor in your games, it just never came up for me before. Perhaps only 4 survivors affects this)

2. I can recreate the scene on the box without Doug killing every single other survivor on the box cover before getting a couple of those zombies.

3.Using guns is still a strategic decision. It's possible to kill other survivors, but harder with careful planning. Noise is a real issue. If multiple survivors are firing guns in multiple zones, more zombies are attracted. So, often a choice is made. Do I blow away these zombies here so another survivor can run in for the objective, even though it means more zombies(maybe way more) to deal with on a future turn?

I also have rules for the campaign which simulate weapons and ammo becoming scarcer as the campaign progresses. I think it's a ton of fun.

So if you've been looking for alternates to the current gun rules, but weren't satisfied with the other options, maybe give these a try.

For me, it improves the simulation I'm looking for, while still maintaining gunfire as a serious consideration.

Thanks and enjoy if you use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Clarke

Ewloe
Flintshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The noise idea is an interesting take on trying to balance the change of priority. I quite like the idea, but I probably won't try it as I'm happy with the rules as they stand.

I'd be interested in you campaign levels rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Ian.

I'm working some more on the rules today. I hope to have something I'm proud of in a couple weeks or a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Steer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the gun&noise rules. Sounds very logical and thematic to me. Cant say I ever get around to try them since we dont play too often and its hard to persuade my friends to try new rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

I'm glad you like them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gulla
United States
Coral Gables
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke,

This is great.

Unlike seemingly many others on BGG, I don't enjoy the target priority rules as printed, mainly because I see this game as more of a thematic experience and not as much of a strategic one (I have plenty of euros for that).

While I do understand all the reasons why the standard game handled the targeting rules in the manner they chose, I've always felt as though they limit the capacity for fun and theme from such an otherwise strong platform for these things. Also, as someone else mentioned (either in this thread or another), such variants are openly encouraged by the creators and, as such, I applaud your efforts here. Can't understand the bickering and anger from others (again, in various threads addressing this subject).

You recognize that, while the targeting priority rules are problematic for you (and me) in some ways, that simply dropping them sacrifices too much, and so you have worked out what I think is an ingenious solution, both in terms of simplicity/ease of implementation as well as theme.

Moreover, I, too, found that noise didn't matter as much as I had wanted it to in many situations, and so adding this fix to the other is perfect for my liking.

Again, thanks for your efforts and ingenuity here. I look forward to your ammo rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Young
Canada
flag msg tools
If you don't mind an alternate suggestion for priority rules, my friends and I also had an issue with the idea that survivors are first in the priority list (i mean especially if you're point blank with a pistol, how exactly is it possible that you absolutely can't kill a zombie without murdering your friends first?)

So our house rule? Remove survivors from the priority list entirely. Instead, any misses are re-rolled, and if the second roll is a hit then instead you've accidentally hit your ally. It gives shooting a tile your friends are in a very risk vs. reward feel, especially when your gun's accuracy isn't the greatest, rather than characters feeling like homicidal jerks that just go around blatantly murdering their friends instead of the rotting bloke intent on ripping their face apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.