Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reading about this game and also bought it already for myself.
But when I'm reading about this game it seems a lot of players have the core set twice. Is there a specific reason to do this??
Just to clarify I'm still in the progress of using the provided decks. I have yet to start and make my own decks.
I would be happy if I get all the rules right and win a quest :)

But bottom line why would one buy a second core set ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 unexpected courage
3 Gandalfs in each (2)decks

Few other duplicates of key cards for 2nd decks

as you get more cards in the cycle theses 2nd become less necessary and alternatives on offer

should edit and say (i agree don't bother with a 2nd core.)
before the huge card pool it was very tempting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is unnecessary you will buy more expansions rather quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Porteous
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmazut wrote:
This is unnecessary you will buy more expansions rather quickly.

Completely agree, i'm now mid way through the against the shadow cycle having all the mirkwood and dwarrowdelf cycles and having only 1 core set makes no difference to me.

Real Heroes don't need 3 Gandalfs, 3 sneak attacks and 3 unexpected courage's etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Test of Will, Hasty Stroke, Unexpected Courage, Beorn and a few others are cards I still use but the Core set comes with fewer than 3 of each. Extra Gandalfs are also nice too, when playing with 2 players.

So, should you buy a second core set straight away? Nope. Remember, it's your game. You can pretend that a rubbish card is actually your third Test of Will, or you can proxy the cards you want with sleeved cards. It took me a long time (and a substantial discount) before I bought a second set so I could avoid proxying the cards I needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the biggest reason to buy 2 or 3 sets would be to have more decks built at the same time, if like that (I do), or if you want to play with 3 or 4 players. More of the basic cards help a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is that if you sleeve, you can make proxy cards for those cards that you get less than 3 in the core set. When I started, I did get two core sets, but more than half of the box is useless (encounter cards and duplicate heroes). That said, the extra box was very nice for storage through the Against the Shadow cycle, but then I needed to find another storage solution (Broken Token custom engraved game boxes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
There's no need to purchase the 2nd core set if you don't want to. Depending on how limited your budget is, I would focus on the expansions first (the adventure packs and try and get them in order if you can - save the sagas till later) and then come back to another core set in due course.

I went all the way up to the end of Against the Shadow before buying a 2nd core. As well as the 3rd copy of some useful cards and the extra Gandalf's, I wanted the 2nd box to help with storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned, a second core set should rarely be the first "expansion" you buy for this game (exception being if you find a really really good deal or want to play with 3-4 players). It doesn't give you any extra quests - which are the main thing you'll find yourself wanting early on. (You can find some free ones that work with just a single core set here.)

I do have a second core set. I bought it after I had a couple of deluxe/saga expansions and about a dozen adventure packs. It gives me second and/or third copies of some cards I use a lot. It lets us play with 3 if my mother is visiting. It gives me more tokens. (I had actually been known to run out of resource tokens playing certain decks.) And I have so many cards these days that it takes two boxes to store them in any sort of organized way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But bottom line why would one buy a second core set ?

Per the "official" rules, you may have up to three copies of a card in your deck. There are a number of cards in core game with only two and a few with only one copy. Not to mention, the supposedly "up to four player game" only comes with two threat counters.

Buying a second core allows you to plus up all the two card sets to a full three and all the single cards to a more useful two copies each. It gives you the third and fourth threat counters, a more generous amount of counters and a second storage box (useful for future expansions). The rest is waste.

If any of that is worth it to you for the price you'd pay is a personal decision.

To obtain enough of the singles to have three each would require a third core (almost entirely waste). Again, your decision.

FWIW, there are a few resellers on eBay (not me) who offer decent prices on the two per cards and/or the threat counters and tokens. That and possibly one of the online printer services (for the one of cards and eratta) might be an economical means of plus sing out your game to the full three per card limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you all for your replies
In the mean time it seems I won an auction on ebay that does contain a second core set. I was actually bidding to get the core world + galactic order expansion. it even has a Warhammer invasion starter set.
I was originally thinking of selling the second LOTR lcg core set but after your words I might hang on to it. As I don't have any expansions yet for this game the core set will be my go to card pool for a while
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could build the all 3 back to basic decks :-)

1 solo deck
and
2 decks ready for 2 players of 2 handed solo

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1294079/back-basics-two-pair...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely hang on to it.

Having three copies of all the "2-ofs" and at least two copies of the "1-ofs" is useful to increase your options for deckbuilding.

Having multiple copies of the encounter sets is useful to build more scenarios at the same time (some of the Mirkwood scenarios also use Core Set encounter sets).

Then you get two more Threat Counters (if you want to play with 3 or 4 players) and more tokens.

I also like to have multiple decks ready without having to switch around too much, so having more of the same cards is quite useful for that purpose, too.

Buying a third Core Set is a bit hardcore (there's pretty much only one card to buy it for... Unexpected Courage), but the second one definitely has its uses. And since you have it already ...

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Brimer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To chime in, I recently purchased a 3rd core set. I did so to not only complete the playset of this set and yes now have a ton of extra copies of cards for multiple decks I suppose, but also to gain the errata'd cards and the updated Easy mode quest cards.

My opinion regarding multiple core sets is this: IF you are NOT going to buy any expansions, buy a second core set. That will give you at least a semblance of deckbuilding capability. However, if you are planning to buy cycles of adventure packs, which nowadays can be bought in one fell swoop, then one core set should be sufficient for the average player. Unfortunately I am not the average player and possess the Gotta Catch 'em All mentality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bosefasaurus wrote:
....but also to gain the errata'd cards and the updated Easy mode quest cards.

+1 Forgot to say, this was the other factor that made me buy a 2nd set. Errata'd core cards and Easy mode markings. However, I'll never rebuy the APs to get the easy mode ones!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, good point... the reprint was a reason for me to buy an extra Core Set as well. Of course, it was neither the second nor the third (or even the first), so... it was a good reason, indeed!

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well guys I received my second core set this week.
I decided on keeping it all be it in slimmed down version.
I'm only going to keep 1 from the cards that normally exists twice in the core set and all those that are singleton in the core set.

All the others are up for grabs

So I have all the core set heroes, quests, encounter cards, and triple player cards + 1 from the double player cards available for trade if somebody is interested

I also have a encounter deck double now : the hunt for golem. it is open but unplayed condition

if somebody is interested please let me know

I'm sure we can work something out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.