Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok so the product of a feverish hour's brainstorming (literally almost - I didn't set out to design a game at this time of day!) whilst holding a sleeping baby in the early hours of this morning has produced...

A 2 player game

54 custom cards - some are districts, some are landmarks, some are tables for rolling against.

District cards are divided into 4 quarters with roads between. cards are placed adjacent but offset vertically by 1/2 a card so the bottom left corner of a card meets the top right of another, and so on. Each card has a value displayed in the centre of the card.

Each turn the player rolls 3 dice -

He must use one to gather resources (match the values on cards in his town and gather resources from them)

Use one to get a result from an event table of some kind (good and bad results but all minor)

Give the third to his opponent to gather resources as well.

Doubles roll on a landmark table

Triples roll on a disaster table (more major events - all bad)

He may then spend resources to add extra cards or add developments to existing cards - improves score but developed districts can't produce resources.

That's it... so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok some progress on the look of the cards:

Still working on rules details and scoring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just been to see Public Service Broadcasting promoting their new album in town but managed to come up with a few refinements whist travelling in(gridlock) and waiting for the band. Excellent show and got my copy of the album signed. Now on to the fruits of this codgitation:

On their turn players throw three dice:
Choose 1 to harvest resources for themselves
Choose 1 to gain cash for themselves
Give the remaining to their opponent to harvest resources.

In the event of a double the dice for their opponent is discarded and the double collapsed ( ie double 5 becomes just 5 and so in) and they score the remaining two as above.

In the event of a triple nothing is scored and the face value of the dice is used to reference a disaster table with things like:
Giant radioactive lizard rampages through a section of town
A meteor strikes
Riots break out
The Golden Arches takeaway restaurant runs out of the stuff they make burgers from
Lethargy breaks out

Once harvesting and roll allocation is complete players may either pay cash to add a new card to Thor town, or spend resources to develop the vacant lots already in their town.

I'm thinking that the first block on a card to be developed costs one resource of its colour. The second costs two resources made up on one of the new lots colour and one of the already developed colour (this may be the same if the lots are the same colour) the third requires 3 resources 2 of the existing development colours and one of the third, and so on.

Resources can only be gathered from undeveloped lots, and only developed ones can be scored at the end of the game.

Scoring is likely to be a flat base score for each developed lot. This is hen adjusted by local conditions...
So for example a residential development next to an industrial one will score lower than base value, whilst one next to a retail development wil score more. I need to finalise these interdependencies.

As well as regular plots, players can draw landmark cards which don't fit on the town plan but are played in front of the player, with a landmark cube being placed on an undeveloped lot of the appropriate colour.

The exact role of these cards is still in development... I have a few ideas but not all will work I suspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campbell
United Kingdom
Ilkeston
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twenty minutes to travel just under a mile - hardly travelling Pete!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah but we'd done the previous couple in significantly less time. It works out at a walking pace (if I remember from my D of E - 2.5 miles an hour is a good walking pace) if you average it all out. Any how just more thinking time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a bit of work done this weekend, surprisingly (B'day party deliveries, stewarding at church plus other stuff).

All the basic cards are designed and the rules drafted:

Here is a link to the files so anyone who wants to give it a go can - please let me know what you think - I need all the play-testing feedback I can get.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-R4ltmn91a2flNKWk9z...

There are still refinements to make.

At the moment I seem to have about 7 cards free if I use a standard deck size. I had a thought that I could perhaps put the rules on these, rather than needing a separate sheet. I can't think of any other need for them at present- this could change. If double sided this should give me 14 cards worth of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tweaked the rules wording to try and make it a little clearer, the rules themselves haven't changed, although I have dropped 2 of each development cube type (down to 12 from 14).

There are now card backs in two flavours as well - ones with a white border and ones with full width colour - take you pick which you like. The cards have been proof read and corrected, and the text on the industrial landmarks has changed to black for clarity. Again no change to the way they work.

I'm in the process of uploading the cards to Printerstudio.

If anyone has played and has comments or suggestions I would really welcome feedback on how it went, how long it took, did anything not work? Either here or GM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a good game last night. Most things seem balanced, a small adjustment to the scoring values (not method) is in the works.

Im also looking at a 3rd player option for the future. I have decided to add a small addition to the rules - if 3 landmarks are turned up, return all 3 to the Land deck and deal 3 more district cards out.

Spotted a small mistake on the tracker cards, 0-9 instead of 1 to 10. This will be corrected as soon as I get chance. For last night we just moved the counters off the top of the card. It works but seems a bit crude.

Some pictures of the game in play:

The victor

the towns grow and develop

The towns are already expanding even after only a couple of turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More tweaks to the rules, introduced a TTR type rule whereby if the 3 face up Land deck cards are all landmarks they are placed back in the draw deck and new cards drawn. Point values have been adjusted to place greater emphasis on location of developed plots, as the value for simply developing seemed to be detracting from the importance of this. Scoring for blocks of similar developments has also been streamlined.

Cardville has been submitted for approval for entry into the database. I am in process of updating the files on the googledrive to include the latest version of the rules and the previously mentioned adjustment to the tracking card, as well as slight changes to the scoring cards.

The only other big change to card design is the addition of a third start card. This is to allow a third player to take part. It has a gold background like the other two but also has a number in the centre spot so that in a 2 player game it can be used as a regular district card. To this end it has a standard district card back. The single scoring summary card has been replaced with a third resource tracking card. I will post a separate file for 3 player rules, along with some variations to standard game play to help first time players, and add extra ways of playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardville now has its own database entry. All files currently in the shared G-Drive folder are in the submissions queue for the files section of the game's page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I have been working on getting the images ready for Printerstudio. As they stand, the cards don't import too well. I made a deck and when it finally arrived (nearly 2 weeks to the UK)a bit too much was cropped from the edges. Hopefully I have sorted that now and I will be getting a second proof copy ordered before the end of the week.

One bonus from my point of view is that the purchased deck along with all the components DOES fit in a 2oz tobacco tin - my container of choice for small games (they are water proof, robust and have rounded edges so don't feel uncomfortable in your pocket). My original home made deck does not - to get the cards stiff enough I have to use a slightly heavier weight card. Whilst I do seal them, the sealer adds no rigidity.

As a result I will be doing a sticker file for anyone who wants to label up a tin for their copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Following a post on the game page I am now looking at how this could have a solo variant. Any suggestions? let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After talking solo play ideas through with a friend, some changes to the card deck are on the way... Nothing major, anyone with a finished build will only need to add cards.

From now on the six scoring cards will become 3 double sided cards giving me 3 cards to play with for the AI. My initial plan is to have an opponent on each side of each card, with different targets and difficulty ratings.

At present three identically coloured dice are used for rolling in the two player game, and two differently coloured dice are used as markers, one for each player. In a solo game one of the marker dice will substitute for the third roll dice. On the ai's turn the player will roll 3 dice and remove one of the matching coloured dice as their resources from the ai's turn. The remaining dissimilar coloured dice are used to consult a table of actions for the AI. The AI can remove cards to their town (not actually assembled just collected) and acquire developments from the pool, placing them on their card. Meanwhile the player has to try and amass a town of a certain value or better in a limited number of turns. The number of developments available will differ from AI to AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards for these have been posted and approved to the files section. A proper set of rules is in draft form and should be in for approval by the end of the week. A poorly daughter and the start of term is putting a bit of a cramp on my design time at the moment.

Play is basically described as above. Each card has a track of squares for putting acquired developments on (any type in any order, as determined by dice rolls. The bottom four squares of this track also indicate how many of each colour of development you should be playing with. The eagle eyed of you may notice that there are often fewer of the type of development that the dice table for that AI favors. This is where the difficulty of the AI is generated - they tend to want more of the fewest resource, limiting your number of turns.

Its a bit crude maybe, I don't know without a lot of feedback on how people think its working. It is also my first attempt at an AI for a solo game, so any suggestions for improving it would be gratefully received. My basic intention is to create an opponent using the the fewest possible number of additional physical components, and not exceeding a card count of 54 at any stage (although some could be double sided)

This is so that those who wish can get a copy through print on demand services such as Printerstudio.

On that score, the adjusted cards are complete for that and uploaded ready for testing. I was on the verge of pulling the trigger on that when the AI question was raised. I'm now hanging back on ordering a new set to check the adjustments, until the AI cards can be included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls