Blue Moon» Forums » General

Subject: Blue Moon Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek McNamara
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestion on which expansions I should purchase first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
How much experience do you have with the base set? Do you want different decks, or decks that are easy for new players to pick up and use?

From easiest to play to hardest I would rank the expansions:

Terrah
Pillar
Aqua
Flit
Mimix
Khind

From most fun to play to least:
Khind
Flit
Aqua
Mimix
Terrah
Pillar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcnamarad wrote:
Any suggestion on which expansions I should purchase first?

The original six additional people decks are in the order

Mimix
Flit
Khind
Terrah
Pillar
Aqua

(The M/F and K/T were actually released together, but that's the standard order, with Vulca before Hoax at the start.)

It's as good an order as any.

Personally I'd go for the two Emissaries and Inquisitors decks after those if you want to branch out. (I'd buy both or neither, though that's not essential.) Finally you can't buy the Buka Invasion yet, but I'd put it before or after the E&I decks, according to what aspect of the game you prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get the Buka before the Emmisaries or Inquisitors and probably before the Mimix as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo_Boy wrote:
I would get the Buka before the Emmisaries or Inquisitors and probably before the Mimix as well.

The former piece of advice is good for some people, others may disagree. But I can't see any reason for the latter piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyanMC wrote:

From easiest to play to hardest I would rank the expansions:

Terrah
Pillar
Aqua
Flit
Mimix
Khind

Wow--I won't bother quibbling with what decks you rank as fun, but I will merely say that this ranking strikes me as rather, uh, "idiosyncratic."

My recommendation is to start with people decks and pick which one you'd like to get based on a) the game values (you can seem all the cards at http://www.blue-moon-games.com/us/spiel/spielidee.html) and/or b) personal taste regarding aesthetics. Simple as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rationale for the Buka over Mimix advice is:
1) Personally I find the Mimix play inversley well to how well you shuffled the deck to split up the pairs and frees. I don't like that aspect.
2) The buka brings a really easy deckbuilding method, perhaps easier even than the Emissarys/inquisitors methods, with less card blending to put the preconstructed decks back toghether afterwards.
3) The Mimix have game stalling cards that have the player looking through their deck -- the other player is waiting. (this improves with experience though)
4) some ppl feel the art on mimix is too sexual, buka is completely fine though
5) i feel that the mimix are among the weakest preconstructed deck, could buka really be any weaker? (I strongly doubt it)
6) you get pairs in flit, but you dont get bluffs anywhere else in the game. new icons are cool.

So depending on where Mimix is in your buy list, I would put Buka above it.

Been playing a lot of Mimix lately because I want to learn to love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the reason a sorted list is good, is that you cant really get any sense of how a deck genuinely plays before playing it for real.

In lieu of that you can only ask for subjective opinions from players whom already have. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo_Boy wrote:
The rationale for the Buka over Mimix advice is:
1) Personally I find the Mimix play inversley well to how well you shuffled the deck to split up the pairs and frees. I don't like that aspect.

That is an aspect of the Mimix (and a reason why the rules allow you to shuffle your opponent's deck) but actually applies more widely. The Khind like their gangs together, the Hoax prefer not to find all their supports at the bottom of the deck (although that usually doesn't happen due to bad shuffling) and I can claim to be the first (and maybe still the only) player to find all three Buka ships and Entreat Favor (with which you can get a ship) as the bottom four cards in his deck.

Quote:
2) The buka brings a really easy deckbuilding method, perhaps easier even than the Emissarys/inquisitors methods, with less card blending to put the preconstructed decks back toghether afterwards.

I don't see that as a Buka before Mimix argument (in fact if I did, it wouldn't be specific to the Mimix).

Quote:
3) The Mimix have game stalling cards that have the player looking through their deck -- the other player is waiting. (this improves with experience though)

That is a minus point to the Mimix. It's also seen (though less so) in the Khind and - oddly enough - the Buka.

Quote:
4) some ppl feel the art on mimix is too sexual, buka is completely fine though

I'm not going down this cul de sac again.

Quote:
5) i feel that the mimix are among the weakest preconstructed deck, could buka really be any weaker? (I strongly doubt it)

Accepting for the moment your thesis (I don't necessarily, but ignore that for now) is strength good? If playing in a tournament and you want to win it, sure. But the last deck that had bad press was the Pillar. And my reaction was that the next time I played, I wanted to play Pillar.

Quote:
6) you get pairs in flit, but you dont get bluffs anywhere else in the game. new icons are cool.

Well, yes, it is true that the Buka are quite heavy with new stuff, and if that's your priority ... But the Mimix and Flit behave quite differently, despite both using PAIR (differently).[/q]

But of course whatever works for you, and if that means Buka early, then the Buka early. I'm sure the publishers son't mind what order you buy the decks in, they just want you to buy all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

the Mimix and Flit behave quite differently, despite both using PAIR (differently).

I completely agree that Flit and Mimix play differently.

If it is fair to pull out individual elements of their play style, I would say, the way in which Flit uses the Pair Icon is actually better than the way the Mimix does. Why?
Because Mimix pairs can only pair with _one_ other card in the deck (and sometimes in preconstructed the pair counterpart is with another people altogether), this makes it really shuffle/luck based (and I find the shamans are only average at mitigating this kind of bad luck)

By contrast the Flit Boosters pair with any other booster, which brings flexibility and reliability to this Icon power. Flexibility brings choice and choice depth.

Put another way, if the pair icon meant you could play _any_ two cards with that icon, then Mimix would be my definitive favorite deck in the game. But it's not/ (woulda coulda shoulda). I respect the design so I'm fine with that call, but its why I put the Mimix lower on the buy list than say, Aqua, Khind, Flit. Make no mistake, it's still on the list.

Quote:

the publishers son't mind what order you buy the decks in, they just want you to buy all of them.

Done and done. So, when's the next expansion deck coming? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now! Buka was just released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The next one after Buka meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far they've announced nothing's planned. I wouldn't be surprised if this is it, cus for every deck released I'd assume balancing becomes exponentially more difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.