Popular Tags: essen [+] convention [+] recap [+] [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Essen 06 Report

The Trip: This year’s trip was easier as I came up from Italy and was already acclimated to the time change. Looking back at my last year’s report I said I’d get to Essen a day earlier and this year I did just that, arriving on Wednesday. Also this time I flew into Dusseldorf and took the train to Essen from there which is about 20 minutes. Going back was a long 24 hour day with a flight from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt, then on direct to San Francisco and finally to Portland. With all the layover time it’s a painful trip back but of course it was Essen and worth it.

The Hotel: A few words on this. Again I chose to stay at the Moevenpick at the main train station. You get right off the train, cross the street and voila you’re there. No bag drag or long walk. Right out the front door and down the stairs gets you right on U11, which is 4 stops from the fair grounds. Up the stairs and you’re there in less than 5 minutes. It was more expensive this year at 106 Euro the first two nights and 78 for each additional night. If your on a budget, you can find cheaper hotels in the area but probably not more convenient. There are still lots of folks that like to stay at the Savoy, Arosa, Jung, and the Behr’s Park Hotel which are all within 3 blocks of the Fair. The beauty of the Moevenpick is that it’s at the heart of the downtown shopping area, also nice for a stroll in the morning or evening before or after the fair. This time I walked even further on the Fussgangerzone (pedestrian zone) and discovered a small Octoberfest like fair not too far away. The walking and shopping area is much larger than I discovered last year. Plus, as a bonus, this year I found the Toys R Us which is just a block down the street from the Moevenpick Hotel where sometimes you can find good deals on some newer or hard to find in the USA stuff the rival fair prices. Right next to the hotel is the city ticket office where I walked right in and bought a “Dauer carte” entry card for all four days of the fair for 27 Euro. The Post Office is across the street from the hotel and this year I priced some shipping. A 15 kilo box to the USA will run you about 43 Euro surface and 75 Euro air. That about 10 good sized games for comparison.

The Fair: The layout seemed to remain the same this year. Nine large rooms, most the size of a super Wal-mart and all but 3 dedicated to board gaming. I felt like an old pro going back this year. I’ll repeat what I said last year and reaffirmed this year. There’s a way to go about this fair if you’ve never been. If you’re lucky enough to be there for all four days, here’s what I recommend. Before even going, do your homework. Between the US and German board game websites you can get lists of all the games to be presented, their locations in the Messe, and what to expect from them (the games). I had all my lists and locations ready to go, and knew where to look for them. This year was easier since I knew the layout and most dealers keep the same locations from year to year. The stands are number but it’s not intuitive.

- On Thursday, get there by 0930 which will put you at the front of the line. When the doors open, you can rush to the buzz stands to get the games you know will be gone by the end of the day. Then take your time and browse everything and get your pre-orders as you go along. You’ll be lucky to get through everything once if you’re taking your time. Get those special offerings that will only be presented that day and maybe consider buying that one item that is a limited production of 500 or less that will probably sell out by the end of the day if it has had good previews. This year there were some pre-orders sold out before the fair like Hameln, Fowl Play, and Reef Encounters of the Second Kind. A few other games sold out by Sunday as well like Khronos, Graenaland, and Bolide (sold with the expansion). Don’t play any games on Thursday but scope out the ones you want to try.

- On Friday get there about 30 minutes before opening and when the doors open, head to the game you want to play most. The crowds still aren’t too bad and you can get plenty of games in during the 9 hours the fair is open. Tables fill up quick. Some have times and sign up sheets posted so if you don’t get to one right away, you can schedule for it. Most demonstrators speak English well enough that they can explain the games fairly well and more often then not you can get into a group with other Yanks or Brits and have a great time. I was even in a few games where the other players were German but the rules were explained in English. A large percentage of attendees seemed to speak at least one other language, mostly English.

- Saturday sleep in late! Even an hour after the fair opened, the subways were packed with fair goers and didn’t thin until about noon. That’s a good time to get there and you’ll still have 7 hours of fun. The place will be packed with people however. I left early by about an hour and had no problem getting right on my subway train. This gave me more time to enjoy downtown Essen as well.

- Again, there’s no need to get there early on Sunday. It’s still crowded but not as bad as Saturday. Save Sunday for your purchases. It was fun to watch dealers cross out prices and discount their games every day. A new game that went for 30 Euros on Thursday was around half that price by Sunday afternoon if it got any bad press. This of course is dependant on how well the game was received or how big the distribution was. There are three types of game sellers to be found at the fair. The hucksters are mostly all in Hall 4 but there are one or two such stands in every hall. There are about 30+ stands selling a combination of new and used games and there’s everything you’ve always wanted including those you can’t afford. I’ve seen better prices on Ebay for some of the games they were selling this year (1830 was going for 130 Euro in shrink this year). The other sellers to be found are retail and online distribution stores throughout various locations at the fair. They mostly have new games at reasonable prices. Finally you have the actual company stands that are demonstrating the games and selling their stock as well. Some of the smaller game production runs can only be found through their stand. The prices are usually a Euro or two more than those found at a retail stand but some throw in an extra game bit or bonus. I didn’t find any stands taking credit this year so have cash ready. The best way is to pull money off your US ATM card. You’ll get the bank rate of exchange and only pay a small transaction fee. I used the ATM machine at the post office twice and the fee is based on the amount you pull but in total I only paid about $3.50 in fees. This is much better than exchanging dollars at the currency exchanges.

The People: You’re among gamers at this fair, regardless of the nationality. The people were very friendly and fun to game with. I met many game designers again this. And I even saw Valerie Putnam hanging out at the Warfrog stand. The funniest thing I saw this year was Friedeman Friese at the Phalanx stand with a Shogun box under his arm. A big hello to all the Funagain/Sunriver Games team. Hope you had great sales and made new contacts.

The Bad: I have to get this one rant in. Unlike Italy and France, Germany has still not banned smoking in public places. As such you have to put up with the stink from it at the fair. And there are lots of folks that still smoke while playing games. Why Germany hasn’t had the smarts to ban smoking at this event is beyond me. Well enough on that topic.

The Games: Well, this is what it’s all about. New releases abound. But you can’t play them all, nor can you carry them all back in a suitcase. So, it really comes down to getting what you enjoy the most or won’t find easily once you get back. Again I was really limited on space but managed to bring back a few items (listed below), most of which I’m sure will end up available through online stores in the USA eventually, so don’t fret.

Big Ticket Games: These games were probably the headliners for the respective companies. I hit the major ones but it’s far from a complete list. I expect the ones listed below will garner the most attention at BGG and are probably the biggest blips on my “radar”. The opinions attached are mine and mine alone so don’t feel slighted if your opinion differs. Also, many are still only available in German but are sure to see English Conversions when a US publisher is found. For a straight list of what I think is good for the coming year see my RADAR thread at http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/116802.
- Gloria Mundi (Abacusspiele/RGG): This one finally made it to print. It’s of lighter fare but still a good game where you need to watch what others are doing to do well. You won’t win plotting a solo course of strategy in this one.
- Maestro Leonardo (Abacusspiele/RGG): This one was doing very well and getting lots of good comments. It’s a gamer’s game with a good theme about getting your inventions build before others but you’ll have to vie for the manpower and goods to get it done. Straight Euro fare.
- Graenaland (Czech Board Games): This one sold out by the end of the fair but surprisingly their other game Through the Ages still had some copies available. Of the two, I consider Through the Ages better. It’s a near perfect civilization game played with cards but feels like a board game. Even though you’re building up your civilization, there’s interaction and ability to influence or disrupt other players as well. I think this one’s a winner.
- BattleLore (DoW): As usual, DoW had a huge area with plenty of this game set up for play. The components are great as well as the rules and scenario book. There are many mechanics carried over from Command and Colors and it’s a step up from M44. This one really appealed to the European crowd that’s not as into WWII games. I managed to get a game of this in and found the special power cards to be just that; powerful. This one is going to do well for them.
- Imperial (Eggert-Spiele): I though this was the gamer’s game of the show. If you don’t mind spending 2-3 hours playing it, it’s a near perfect game. Where Antike was more about fighting, this one is about finance and influence. Knowing when to invest and when to tax is critical. Fighting is secondary and in itself won’t get you far in this game. This is a must buy when it’s available over here.
- Space Dealer (Eggert): Cool bits with lots of color and a space theme. It was getting lots of play and good buzz but I found it to be a 4 player solo game. The timers are novel but there’s virtually no interaction in this game. Not my cup of tea.
- Bolide (Ghenos): For this company it’s probably the only ticket game and it’s been out for a few months now over here. As racing games go, this one probably best mirrors acceleration/deceleration considerations and can require some serious thought. I’m more of a roll and move racing fan so I passed on it but it was being sold at a good price along with the expansion track and was all sold out by Sunday.
- Die Saulen von Venedig (The Pillars of Venice – Goldsieber): I loved the 3d effect of building on raised pillars. You get more points for building along the main waterway and can reserve pillars for your building needs. A nice mechanism where the cards just played get passed to your left mitigating some of the luck factor. I hope this one see and English conversion as I’d purchase it.
- Tavula (Hans-im-Gluck): This one reminded me of Java with its tile laying similarities. Interesting and got lots of press but was selling cheap by the end of the fair.
- On the Underground (JKLM): A metro game that looked pretty good and was getting decent play. Worth a second look.
- Die Saulen der Erde (The Pillars of the Earth – Kosmos): This was probably “the” Euro game of the show getting more play than any others I saw. Mayfair hinted they might be doing the conversion but wouldn’t commit to anything more. There was lots of talk that this was something like Caylus. It’s on my buy list when the English version is released.
- Kampf um Rom (Fight for Rome – Kosmos): This is the new Catan game where everyone plays barbarians staking their claim to the crumbling Roman empire. Mayfair said their English version should be out by January which means we’ll probably see it around June. A must for Settler fans.
- Khronos (Matagot): I had read the rules for this before going to Essen and it was on my buy list. Good thing too since it sold out by Sunday. Interesting game played across three boards representing different time periods. There was only one version available for play which was a pity, but it’s a small company.
- Hermagor (Mind on the Move): A solid Euro game with a smattering of mechanisms from different games. This was played in a few different locations and was doing well. I’ll probably get this eventually.
- Italia (Phalanx): A near-straight port over of Britannia. Great components and a must have for Britannia fans. The nice part is there are two games that scale best depending on whether you’re playing 3 or 4 players.
- Justinian (Phalanx): Great components but I though there was little control on the part of the player to influence movement of the advisors. This is truer with more players. Being the one to decide which color is scored is critical, but even then there’s so much chaos in the movement of the advisors that it might not make a difference. I had high hopes for this game and think it was my worst disappointment.
- Emira (Phalanx): If you don’t mind the theme of raising harems, this one is a solid gamer’s game with a lot going on and plenty of choices. Probably of the better Phalanx releases for this year with beautiful components.
- Tara Seat of Kings (Surprised Stare Games): This one had one of the highest ratings on the Fairplay scoreboard. A strategy game which didn’t thrill me too much but obviously had the rest of the masses that played it enthralled.
- Shogun (Queen): The re-release of Wallenstein and available soon in English. Need I say more.
- Thief of Bagdad (Queen): It was being played a lot but I didn’t find it interesting (I found their last year’s releases of Timbuktu and Aqua Romana to be much better).
- Fowl Play (R&D games): If you didn’t pre-order then you won’t get one. They were gone day one and there were no left-overs.
- Die Baumeister von Arkadia (Ravensburger): A nice Euro with city building aspects and small plastic towers like those found in Torres. I hope this one get an English version as it was doing well and seemed interesting.
- Formidable Foes (2F): This one was doing much better than their other game “Fiji” which was touted to be a luck fest. Foes however is a fun, run around the dungeon killing monsters and grabbing loot kind of game. It’s very light fare but just as fun as Fearsome Floors. RGG is doing this one in English.
- 27/7 (Sunriver) A nice little strategy game with a number/tile placing mechanism. Great for the thinking crowd.
- Ghengis Kahn (Winning Moves): This Leo Colovini game is low on luck and high on strategy yet very simple and fast. I hope it sees an English conversion as well. You’re either placing Chinese or Mongol tokens on one side of the Great Wall or the other to score points. The problem is that players can influence the movement of the wall which may put your guys on the wrong side giving them minus points. I liked this one.
- Yspahan (Ystari): A solid Euro game that uses dice but the dice really are only used to determine what actions are available for choosing and don’t introduce any individual player luck into the game (with the exception of the start player for the round that can purchase extra “yellow” dice that he might be able to choose). It’s a definite player.
- Silk Road (Z-man Games): A light weight Euro game about buying and selling cubes on the Silk Road trade route.
Perikles (Warfrog): Martin Wallace has done it again. This one is IMO easier to play than last year’s Byzantium but still just a challenging. It’s a middle weight game about influencing cities to gain use of their armies to wage the wars of the period which give victory points (there are other ways to get points also). But there’s also means to support one side or the other in a war which may be to your benefit to ensure it goes your way even though you’re not the primary participant. This was one of my “must buy’s” for the fair.
- Hameln: If you didn’t preorder, you missed out on what’s a good middle weight game with the cutest figures of the fair. This one’s my gem of the show from the same folks that brought us Shear Panic last year.
- Marvel Superheroes (FFG): I tried this one and found it unexciting with a lot of dice rolling. If I had to equate this to a war game, I would put it in the grand strategic category. I guess if you really like Marvel Superheroes then it’s right up your alley but I found that it was mostly move a figure to an area, fight a battle, move them back, collect points if you win. Granted that’s an oversimplification of the mechanics but there just wasn’t a whole lot of though process required and I felt unengaged.

Other Notables: Big games in smaller boxes abounded.
- Fischmarkt (Clementoni): A light Euro about bringing fish to market at the right time. In German only but looked good.
- Walhalla: Vikings and cute boats but a Euro theme and light fare that looked good.
- Histericoach (Scribabs): An interesting party game revolving around a coach shouting to get his players into position to score while the other team is doing the same. As party games go, this is a good one.
- Section X (The Game Master): A Dutch game (English rules available) about breaking out your prisoners from an island to safe areas. The game reminded me of Metro and didn’t thrill me when I played it but it wasn’t nearly the worst of the show.
- Astoria (R&S Editions): A small offering from a French designer in a beautiful wooden box with glass flasks and colorful gems. Two games in one box on opposite sides of a paper game board, one is a team strategy game about getting gems to the right places and the other about saving or killing the king using the gems to influence areas. The price was right for 20 Euro and worth the box alone.
- Crazy Diamond & Karatino (Spezet): There are two games in one box using the opposite sides of the boards. One is a simple 30 minute filler game (with a board that reminds me of Quo Vadis) and the other is a bit more tactical about getting diamonds from the mine to your city while bribing officials to block opponent cities and moving your goods faster (and can run up to an hour). Good value and nice components.

Demos Only and No-Shows: There were a few games that only made it in demo version or didn’t show up at all.
- Tide of Iron (FFG): No Show. The excuse was the figures didn’t make it and they didn’t want to demo it without them.
- C&C: Greeks and Persians (GMT) didn’t make it.
- Dungeon Twister (FFG) Forces of Darkness should have been there with it’s anticipated release date of November, so I’m betting it would be out this year.
- Munchkin Impossible was there in German but there’s been no English release yet. On the other hand, we have the Narrow S-Cape in our stores but it wasn’t available in German.
- Viva la Revolution (Bambus) didn’t display their upcoming game but said it would now be out next year.
- Midguard (Z-man Games) said their game won’t be out until after January.
- Genesis, a new Reiner Knizia game of interest wasn’t there or I just missed it somehow.
- Notre Dame was being played but I didn’t see it for sale so they may have been prototypes.
- Winds of Plunder was not to be seen at the GMT booth. (Now that Gloria Mundi is out, this is my new contender for most delayed game).

Games I Purchased:
- Hameln (Fragor)
- Graenaland (Czech BG)
- Through the Ages (Czech BG)
- Soccer Chess (Grapac Japan)
- Hart an der Grenze (Kosmos)
- 1830 Railroads and Robber Barons (AH)
- Perikles (Warfrog)
- Khronos (Matagot)
- Astoria (Role & Strategy Editions)
- Crazy Diamond & Karatino (Spezet)
- BohnKick (Amigo)

Expansions I purchased:
- Turfmaster Course Expansion II (AZA)
- Motorchamp Course Expansion I (AZA)
- Alhambra Exp. IV (Queen)
- Reef Encounters of the 2nd Kind (R&D)
- TtR 1910 Exp.
- Power Grid Benelux/Central Europe Exp. (2F)
- Ark Exp. Cards (RGG)
- Havoc Exp. Cards (Sunriver)
- Mesopotamia Exp. Cards (Phalanx)
- Master Thieves Exp. Cards (Haba and were free)
- C&C wooden dice (Bezier)
- Catan Caravan Exp. (Free at Kosmos site)
- Spielbox Mags with Thurn & Taxis and Blue Moon City Exp.
- Himalaya 5/6 player Exp. (Tilsit)

Other Purchases:- Catan Cherry Wood Collectors Box – I was told that I’m probably only one of 10 people in the US to have one. It holds all the Settler games plus the expansions and was too beautiful to pass up for 40 Euro.
- Munchkin Collectors Box (Pegasus) – This one was made exclusively for Pegasus Spiele and holds all the card sets and expansions for the game through the current one (Super Munchkin). It also came with a set of Munchkin dice and some extra cards in German that hadn’t made it into their sets yet. They were all sold out by Sunday and I don’t think this one will be released in the US (yet) as it was an exclusive deal.

Games I will probably purchase:
- Imperial
- Maestro Leonardo
- Gloria Mundi
- Shogun
- Formidable Foes
- Yspahan
- Italia
- Pillars of the Earth
- Pillars of Venice
- The Builders of Arkadia
- Fight for Rome
- Hermagor
- Ghengis Khan
- BattleLore

Jury’s Still Out on these:
- Walhalla
- Fischmarkt
- Notre Dame
- Anasazi
- Space Dealer
- Histericoach

Probably Not:
- Justinian
- Palm Island Beach Resort
- Tavula
- Project Skyline
- Section X
- Fiji
- Marvel Superheroes
- Krumble
- Factory Fun
- Thief of Bagdad
- Salamanca

Epilogue: Well, that’s it for the short version. There are plenty of photos I took that I’ll eventually post in their respective game areas. Looking at all the items discussed above, again this year I barely scratched the surface of what was available. I’m sure I missed quite a few new and unknown games in this year’s coverage. Plus I only stuck to the board and card games of interest. There were other areas for RPG, CCG, fantasy garb, comics, and collectibles too many to address here. All in all, a great time and a great experience were had for the second time around. Cheers and hope you all have a chance to make it to this great fair.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds awesome, Walt! Can you bring your pictures Friday night?

Me and my wife and daughter are planning to go to Germany (and Essen) next year so I'll definitely be talking more to you about the trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McCorry
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Life is a Journey, Not a Destination
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt,

I guess I'm number 2 of 10 in the US with an american Catan Box. Took up most of my carry-on allotment but well worth it given the craftsmanship (and the 5 euro discount for the very slight mar on the underside of the box).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Demos Only and No-Shows: There were a few games that only made it in demo version or didn’t show up at all.
- Genesis, a new Reiner Knizia game of interest wasn’t there or I just missed it somehow.

You missed it somehow. It was at Face-to-Face Games, (hall 9? 6?).

Don't feel too bad though - at 30E it was expensive for what it was - a simple tile-laying game and majority scoring mechanism. Nothing that the good doctor hasn't done before. At 15E it would have been worth buying as a 7/10 game, but at 30E there were better ways to spend the money.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt............your itenarary seems flawless. I felt like I was there with you. With so many games the Essengoers have reviewed, I wonder how long before we see them for sale on line from our trusted gamesellers? But where am I going to put them now that my game room is overflowing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorite Essen related thread thus far...

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the summary Walt, I enjoyed it

I doubt you missed much with Genesis since it came in dead last in the Fairplay poll.

Sounds like you had a good time, and picked up some great times. I'm looking forward to the photos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Sorbara
Italy
Venaria Reale
(TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your report, Walt!

You don't say anything about UR, have you had any change to try it? I enjoyed it enough to buy a copy, but haven't read many comments by Essen goers to compare my impressions.

Just out of curiosity, can I ask you from where did you left Italy to Essen? On my flight to Dusseldorf in wednesday there were two or three americans, so I wonder if we travelled on the same plane!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
Essen 06 Report
- Notre Dame was being played but I didn’t see it for sale so they may have been prototypes.

Just to explain. Notre Dame indeed was a prototype. Alea shows one prototype in Essen each year. This prototype will be released at the Nuremberg Toy Fair in Spring.

regards

Klaus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano,

I left from Pisa and went through Milano on the afternoon flight.

Regarding UR, I didn't play it but watched it a few times on Sunday. It does seem like an interesting game where the tiles decide the actions you take but overall it seemed like an abstract strategy game and didn't appeal to me much. UR is probably one of the contenders I missed listing for the small company "What's your Game". Or at the very least it should be under the "Other Notables". I'm sure there's a lot of good games I missed.

Ciaomeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
what a report
la creme de la creme
kinda of full immersion essen-enjoy course

top --> WALT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Nice summary of the Essen experience. I like reading the various views of all the lucky bastards folks that went to Essen. I also look forward to reading more comments and reviews of all the new games those lucky bastards folks picked up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always enjoy Walt's reports on Essen. Thank you again Walt for all of the useful information and insights. One thing there are plenty more Kronos copies in France I was told, so I really think these guys were just "managing" supply to create the illusion of scarcity. The game involves time travel and is on my "must try" list but apparently the box is oversized for the contents. Have to agree about "Through the Ages"--a highlight for me too at the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Sorbara
Italy
Venaria Reale
(TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:

I left from Pisa and went through Milano on the afternoon flight.

Not the same flight, I left from Torino. Now I guess if those yankees were BGGeekers, being us the only ones normally dressed in a plane packed with corporate german businnessmen and engineers...

Ciao!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Wynford-Jones
France
Prévessin-Möens
Just across the border from Geneva, Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nishikawa-collector wrote:
Always enjoy Walt's reports on Essen. Thank you again Walt for all of the useful information and insights. One thing there are plenty more Kronos copies in France I was told, so I really think these guys were just "managing" supply to create the illusion of scarcity. The game involves time travel and is on my "must try" list but apparently the box is oversized for the contents. Have to agree about "Through the Ages"--a highlight for me too at the show.

They restocked at least once, so I don't think there was any "managing" of the sort you're implying.

Gavin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree. On Thursday, the whole back of their small booth had games and probably a few hundred by my count (I even took one of their empty boxes). And, there's only so much space in their 6x10 booth area. They did do a restock but were still sold out by Sunday. My guess is even if they brought at least 500 copies to Essen, that's pretty good sales. Plus, that's a lot of games to sell based on "buzz" alone even for Essen. So there's probably something more to the game (like actual good gameplay) to merit its sales. I doubt there was any underhanded scheming going on. And as mentioned above, there seems to be plenty more Khronos games at their warehouse so they should be available soon in the US.

One last thing, I added a more complete review of the Moevenpick hotel I stayed in. It's in the thread for Essen hotels if anyone interested. Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.