Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Conard
United States
Midland
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there is another post asking this question, but could not find it doing a quick search. What is the ideal number of heroes to run when playing a two player campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
PeterParkour wrote:
I'm sure there is another post asking this question, but could not find it doing a quick search. What is the ideal number of heroes to run when playing a two player campaign?

Do you mean one Hero player and the Overlord?

A lot of people consider that 4 heroes is the best combination no matter the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Conard
United States
Midland
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:

Do you mean one Hero player and the Overlord?

Yes one hero player and the Overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
PeterParkour wrote:

The rules tell you that you need to play with at least 2 Heroes in that configuration.

As mentioned, 4 is I think considered the best, but running that number of heroes is a lot to take on for a single player.

One player running 2 heroes is manageable, and it at least means there isn't so much down time for the Overlord.

Have you considered playing Descent as a co-op? That would be my preference for 2 players, it works very well. I've been using the Redjak's Automated Overlord Variant (RAOV) and much prefer it, but that's just personal taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
PeterParkour wrote:

The rules tell you that you need to play with at least 2 Heroes in that configuration.

As mentioned, 4 is I think considered the best, but running that number of heroes is a lot to take on for a single player.

not to mention the complete loss of role playing (which is at least a small part of the experience). I'd much rather identify with only one Hero, if possible. but as mentioned already two Heroes are the minimum unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick b
Canada
vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think three heroes is a good compromise. The game is pretty tough when playing with only two heroes; four is much easier for the hero player but its a lot for one person to manage. Three heroes should be manageable and still provide a pretty balanced game for both players.
I've played this eway several times and didn't find downtime to be an issue. Provided the hero player is comfortable with the rules he can make his moves pretty quickly. After all, there is no negotiation between hero players as to what the best moves would be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Cordovan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play with three heroes and we're having a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here.

My friend and I have been playing with 2 hero's but some campaign scenario's are just not doable with only two hero's. You can't combine anything or come up with a descent strategy.

With three hero's controlled by 1 player, the game plays best (for us).

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.