Peter Lindahl
Sweden
Skurup
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tunisia AAR.

15 November, 1942:

The latest weeks of non stop raining has turned the roads into something that looks like porridge. Mud stops all planned activities.

19 November, 1942:

The roads have dried up and while the allied forces still are trying to get their vehicles back up on the roads the Germans grab the initiative. A swift move against Bédja annihilates the French MZT. that was stationed there. In the north along the coastal road, axis forces moves up next to the river Oued Sedjenane, just by Djebel Adiod. Two Italian battalions moves over the bridge and stand only a few miles from the harbour Tabarka.

22 November, 1942:

The two Italian battalions are now forced to retreat back behind the river as the British 6. Arm Division is moving east along the road. Arriving at the river they enter defensive positions just west of it and the six howitzer battalions that has been attached to the division deploys, preparing to support the infantry if it decides to move across the river.

Further south US 1 Arm. Division moves up along the road towards Bédja to face the combined german-italian forces positioned there. Arriving at the scene the “green” American commander makes a poor deployment out on the flat landscape just west of Bédja.

26 November, 1942:

Now the German commander acts. Seeing the weak American defenseline with four howitzer battalions behind it, still trying to deploy is to good to be true. Not wanting the opportunity to slip away axis forces moves into action. The 101. Supergalieri, supported by german and italian infantry strikes hard in the center of the American lines. A huge hole is ripped wide open and as the infantry secures the breakthrough the Italian armor practically rolls over the American artillery on the road, shooting it to pieces as it goes west. Advancing all the way west to Souk El Arba it also manages to capture some precious supply and trucks.

The situation is critical. Half of US 1. Arm division has vapourised. The entire frontline crumbled in a matter of hours and the british 6. Arm division up north is not far from having its supplylines cut of.

29 November, 1942:

Groupement Mazoyer och Lépinay arrives, not a second to late, and not an hour to early. These two units arrives at Souk El Arba and manage to surprise the Italians. With blazing guns they secure the area and soon more fresh American troops arrives and manage to stabilize the southern front.

In the north the 6. Arm division has decided to make a move across the river. With a massive artillery bombardment and british commandos taking lead, 3 brigades force the german defenders to retreat leaving piles of dead behind them. The victory is however short lived as german and Italian reinforcement arrives, forcing them back over the river to avoid taking losses.

December, 1942:

Rain more or less shuts the entire area down during December. Only a few artillery salvos are let loose to break the silence resulting in nothing. Both sides build up new supplies, preparing for upcoming fine weather.

The front is now running from Djebel Abiod south to Bédja, Testour and down to Maktar.

1 January, 1943:

Fine weather gives the allied another chance to try break the stalemate. 6. Arm once more push over the river defeating the defenders once more and overruns a german howitzer battalion. The road to Bizerte lies open but the germans react quickly and sends in the entire 10. Pz to counterattack. The Germans are met by a murderous artillery fire as the allied safely retreat back over the river again.

5 January, 1942:

Mud, mud, mud. And people talk about the “Balkan Mud”. They should come here…

8 January, 1943:

What looked like a perfectly safe and secure allied frontline was nothing but a commanders dream. 8th of January German forces moves around and encircle the remnants of US 1. Arm west of Bédja. Italian troops cross the river Oued Silianah, close to Gafour at the same time rendering the entire French Oran Div. out of supply.

Again the entire frontline collapse. The allied are quickly pushed back west along the entire front, loosing numerous units, supply and trucks. Luckily the mountains north of Souk El Arba are being held by a heavily entrenched unit of the French Foreign Legion, forcing the germans to push further west, extending their supplies. Meeting little or no resistance they advance all the way to Tebessa in the south in an attempt to move around the crippled allied forces.

12 January, 1943:

Fresh allied reinforcements arrive. In an attempt to stop the flood they attack close to Tebessa forcing the Germans to send reinforcements. Both the 334. Inf Div and 10. Pz arrive and the allied attack becomes another disordered retreat with huge losses.

15 January, 1943:

German forces keeps advancing. The front now runs from the coast at Djebel Abiod then along the mountains to Souk El Arba, west along the river Oued Medjerda to Souk Ahras then straight south to Tebessa.

Mud shuts the rest of the month down, effectively.

1 Februari, 1943:

The Allied lines are thin. Too thin and even if they make a few noble attacks resulting in Axis losses the arrival of Rommel and his AK seals their fate. Axis forces strikes a blow far to the west and exploits all the way up to the coast. Both Phillipville and Boné becomes surrounded and now the allied commander realises what we maybe should have done before.

The Tunisian Campaign ends here, Montgomery didn’t even get to show up before the allied were cut to pieces and scattered.

Epilog

Well, I decided to surrender. With the core of the on map allied forces beaten and only a few pockets of resistance there were not many other options to do. A pity since I really tried hard to keep up even if the odds were against me from the start.

But I´ll be back….
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lindahl
Sweden
Skurup
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said, this was my first OCS game. Although it ended up as a short one....

As you might have noticed I never mentioned air at all. Reason to this was that it never did have that much impact on the game. Probably mostly cause we had alot of Mud and No Flight turns.

I made alot of mistakes but I will list some of them below that I am aware off.

1: Use your resevemarkers wise. Most of all USE THEM!
2: A tracked unit with 16 MP on a main road can move 16x3=48 hexes!!!!
3: Rivers are not impassable.....(where did I get that idea from??)
4: Guard your rear areas!!! (yeah, I know Dean talks ALOT of this in the rules, its my first game ok?)

Ill be better prepared next time...

GMY Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Vrabel
United Kingdom
Cambridge
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is sort of what happened to me, I would agressivly attack with the allies, only to be counterattacked by the German panzer batallions, which ended up causing more losses to Allies than the Axis. And everytime they did that, a few more artillery units would be trashed because I hadn't stacked them with actual combat units.

Eventually the Allied front crumbled, and they made a horribly disorganised retreat back to their supply centers, but they don't do it properly, and Bone(Or whatever the main Allied supply port is called) is surrounded and taken.

I think the problem is the Allied mentality, you significantly outnumber the Axis, and you can make some significant gains if you attack hard and early, but the Germans keep getting reinforcements, and most of their units are far superior to yours. So you eventually become tricked into taking too many loses when attacking.

The 1 ARM division has a lot of punching power, but it can vapourise awfully fast when it's get overrun with multiple X-5-8 panzer units. They really need to be bolstered by some 4 AR units, but you have so few of them you start to run out pretty quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lindahl
Sweden
Skurup
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that pretty much sums it all up. I think that next time I play allied I will seek good defensive positions early and dig in and wait for Monty.

//Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR; short and sweet, but I can imagine exactly what was going on

The Axis can hit the Allies very hard if given the chance (usually if a few of the key positions can be held by quality infantry). What is normally more difficult is to exploit any initial success, due to the constraints of supply and numbers. I think the Allied player cannot afford to let the Axis player get comfortable and pick his target. Keep up the pressure, and keep threatening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lindahl
Sweden
Skurup
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, I never acutally EVER did threaten him wich is kind of sad. I thought I did a few times but then a bunch of those AR5 showed up and put an end to it quickly. I simply lost to many units to fast. It wasnt until the last turn we played I felt I could breakthrough in the east along the coast but then it was to late.

//Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Rytty
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report! Which version of OCS series rules did you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lindahl
Sweden
Skurup
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fauxia wrote:
Great report! Which version of OCS series rules did you use?

Thanks alot!

We did use the 3.1 version of the rules with the optional rule about long range air.

//Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.