Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already ordered the expansion and plan on playing it a lot. But I haven't received it yet and was wondering whether it was possible to learn the backs over time or whether they used the same backs for certain cards, so that, no matter what, you'll have to take risks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd have to play a lot or have a great memory. There are something like 18 different locations with 3 versions of each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Glad to hear it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobody Suspects
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So there isn't multiple cards of the same difficulty (red, yellow, or green) within each location then? If not, the element the unknown will wear off a little too quickly for me.

I'd prefer not to be able to known with certainty which adventure I'm about to flip over. Having just 2 cards of each difficulty for each location would create uncertainty and add to the replayability.

Perhaps a simple adventure card expansion could address this once card familiarity becomes an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff,

the difficulty depicted on the back of the card represent the average difficulty of the location, not of the single adventures, i.e., The Witch House has always a "red light" on the back of all the related cards, while Church adventures are always "green". In this way, you don't know which of the three adventures you're about to try unless you flip the card via Streets of Arkham or you move to the location to explore it.

Then clearly, if you have a very good memory and you have 2 out of 3 cards of the same location already explored, then, you'll know what's the third one, but with a deck of 81 cards, it'd take quite a long time to memorize all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nobody Suspects
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's good to hear. Thank you for clearing up my confusion.

I'm really looking forward to playing this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I helped Hope you can enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mullins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you really think memorizing the backs is going to be a problem you could simply sleeve them with a cut out where the difficult rating is located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.