Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I first heard about this expansion from BGG. "Hey," I thought, "a quick and cheap expansion for Settlers? Nice."

It was hard to get. My local store only had non-wrapped copies of Games Quarterly. I did get a copy from a store in another city when I went there on a quick family vacation. The magazine itself was of reasonable quality.

My first impression was one of impatience. We wouldn't have had time to game on the trip, so we only brought Bohnanza. (Being quick and 2 player.) So, the river sat there, taunting me, laughing at me for not being able to play SoC: tGR.

Eventually, we got home and had a chance to play. I punched it out, started setting up the... hey, what the heck is going on here?

The stupid thing is the wrong size. That's right, IT DOES NOT FIT Settlers of Catan. How could that get through quality control? You'd think that would be at least on the top ten things to check: Is this triple tile the same size as the other tiles? If it had just been a static sticker, it would have been a better expansion: "Set up so that there is a mountain in the middle, a brick adjacent, then the desert tile. Place this cheap plastic river on top of the three tiles."

When I suggest that your expansion could be improved by replacing it with a window cling, you have serious issues.

We can read the rules quite clearly on the scans, so they aren't worth going over. You get gold for building near the river. Trade gold for VPs. Go to 12 instead of 10. That's it.

It's really not worth the hype. Maybe if it had fit, it would be worth using again. The size just shows that it was a half-made hack that wasn't thought through. I've played one game with the river. Maybe if I played more Settlers, I'd be more interested. As it is, I don't think it really adds a lot to the gameplay other than encouraging players to build out to a resourceless point in the middle of nowhere.

And maybe in a world where people have suggested - and seriously - a version of Settlers with nuclear weapons, a change of pace every now and then is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Kestering
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does fit with the German Settlers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that does get things off to a bad start when it doesn't even fit in with the tiles it's supposed to replace. I also agree with you that it isn't an earth-shattering expansion by any means. But for $4, it's worth adding to your game if you can get it. I've played five games with it and it does add another way to get 2 or 3 victory points for the player(s) who decide to pursue it. In my games, usually only 2 players get into a position to really get a chance at those 2 or 3 points.

If you're looking for expansions that come in magazines, try the Fishermen of Catan which is much better and adds a lot to the game. In fact, we play with both the Great River and the Fishermen now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this, but hadn't tried it... I tested it with my mayfair copy and sure enough it's fractionally too small..
One solution might be to place regular tiles where the river is going to be, and place the river across the top. I experimented with this, but haven't had chance to actually play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference in the size of the Great River tiles from the Mayfair tiles is annoying but doesn't break the game or require a fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzo104 wrote:
It does fit with the German Settlers.

I see you are in Germany though... I assume you have the version of Der Grosse Fluss from Spielbox, not from Games Quarterly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.