Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...

Candyland.

The punchline to a lot of boardgame jokes. It's actually the whole joke: "Candyland".

But does it deserve such a moniker? Simply put, no. Candyland is designed with one express purpose: it is a boardgame for children who can not yet read. It is suitable for 2 year olds - I know because I play with one regularly. No, there aren't a lot of decisions to be made in the game. That's because the target audience sometimes has trouble deciding if they have to pee or if they should paint their tongue.

We got this game for $1 at a thrift shop. Most of the parts seemed to be there. On closer inspection, four of the coloured non-special cards were lost in the sands of time, likely eaten by toddlers who have long since grown up.

The parts are nicer than some I've seen in modern games; the stand-up pieces are brightly-coloured and easy to grab. They are big enough that they present no chocking hazard. Indeed, the only health risks are the old dust on the box.

The game is simple. Draw the top card. Move your token to the next square that matches the colour. If the card has two squares, move to the second square of the colour. If the card is pink, move to the pink square that matches the symbol.

There are four special squares on the board. Two are traps and require you to draw a specific colour to win. Two others are shortcuts; one major, one minor. The game ends when your kid turns four. I mean, the game ends when one player moves the token to the end to rescue the King.

The game runs a little longer than the patience level of the adults and the attention span of the children.

There is considerable imbalance. Two cards can rocket your player to near the end of the game; there is no comeuppance except the chance you could draw another similar card that would throw you to the beginning. There is a good chance that you will instead win the game. Yes, it is entirely luck based. That's okay.

So does it do its job? Yes. As the saying goes, "For the sort of people who like this sort of thing, this is the sort of thing they like."

If you've got children who are very small, this is worth picking up. Try to get it at a thrift shop and be prepared to change player colours when your little one gets more interested in the red token.

But the game isn't the point. The point of the game is to have fun with your kids and spend some quality time with them. "Can we play Candyland?" is just another way of saying, "I love you, Daddy. Can we sit together?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, Candyland is a decent, but not particularly good, game for those that can't yet read.

In the same age group, you have Go Away Monster (and the similar "Monkey Madness") and a bunch of Haba games. At just a few months older is Gulo Gulo, which the adults can actually look forward to playing.

So, it's decent. It's a game. Some 2 year olds like it. But there are games that are less tedious for the adults, and more likely to be finished before the attention span of the kids expire.

Perhaps the best thing about Candyland is the price - I got it brand new for around $5. It is tough to beat that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some grown-up gamers who need to play some more Candyland. It reinforces the basic guidelines of playing games. Wait your turn. Pay attention for when it is your turn. Follow the rules. Don't cheat. Congratulate the winner, and don't feel bad if you lose, it's just a game. Let the other players take their turn - don't move their pieces for them. Don't give up halfway through the game; see it through to the end. Stuff like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, beri, I agree. It certainly seems like some adults simply did not get enough Canyland (or similar) when they were younger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.