Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been thumbing through Robb Report, which has a service that caters to the ultrarich. Kind of a grow guy's dream book. They have amazing services there. People pay a MINT for luxury items. Well, I was wondering if someone couldn't provide such a service to redo someone's favorite game in high quality material. Part of this inspiration is the work of
mikedoyle. You can see a few of his images here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/134415
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/134414

The style screams for the use of silver, stainless steel, marble and so on.

Anyhow, anyone else think this is a good idea? What would the legal issues be? To have someone hire a professional craftsman specializing in the redesign of favorite games as luxury items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, there would be few legal issues because you'd essentially be creating a one of a kind item. One, you're not going to find a game company come after you for what would be a single item. Heck, they'd probably want photos or to use it for their own publicity purposes.

Now, if you made multiple copies to sell, then you'd be opening yourself to trouble. Otherwise you're basically creating a craft object that is only for a single individual's enjoyment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hutnik
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ryokowerx wrote:
To be honest, there would be few legal issues because you'd essentially be creating a one of a kind item. One, you're not going to find a game company come after you for what would be a single item. Heck, they'd probably want photos or to use it for their own publicity purposes.

Now, if you made multiple copies to sell, then you'd be opening yourself to trouble. Otherwise you're basically creating a craft object that is only for a single individual's enjoyment.

So, someone could offer this as a service then? I read Hasbro went after someone who turned an abandoned train station into a giant monster version Monopoly set, so who knows.

I can see the issue of where someone sees a version of a game and then wants another one made. Perhaps the designer could work out an agreement where the company gets a cut, something like $50 a game or so, or whatever. It would make good publicity though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.