Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a couple of game boxes that say Star Fleet Battles but have different box art and appear to be from different companies perhaps. One of them is Task Force games from 1979. Are there any differences between the versions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There were/are four versions of SFB:

The pocket edition by Task Force Games 1979 with 14 ships.

Later that year the designers (boxed) edition was released which added many rules and new ships. This edition had 3 expansions cleverly named Expansions 1 to 3. These added a lot of new ships and new races (Hydran, Andromedan, Lyran, and WYN).

In 1983 the Commanders Edition came out which totally rewrote the rules and created the current numbering scheme (C2.1.4) This had several add-ons such as SSD books 1 to 9 and Supplements 1 through 3.

The Current Edition (Captains or Doomsday Edition) was issued in 1990 with the Basic Set. This is the largest edition with over 20 products released so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Battles

Basically the first edition basic sets were good on their own but became a complete mess when you tossed in the expansions. The Commander's edition cleaned things up a bit, but still didn't tie everything together cleanly. The Captain's (final) edition cleaned things up, but at the cost of being hugely bloated. A recent spin off game Federation Commander attempts to distill down the game to something digestable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.