Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Guns, Dice, Butter Episode XXIII: FEB 17, 2015...A Fat Tuesday Special! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to Episode XXIII of Guns, Dice, Butter: Feb 17 2015, Fat Tuesday Special!

0:00 Intro: It’s Mardi Gras! Spring is near!

0:05 Curtis Baer: WBC stories: Point of Origin, Matt & Joe’s Devil Cauldron, Pitch Car, THE BIG GAME, François’ wild NAP WARs game, Red Neck Life, WBC food, Being the coach of the RANGERS!, the Honorary Fez

0:41 John Butterfield: Point of Origin, Early days at SPI, the playtest room for Campaign in North Africa, John’s great designs: Freedom of the Galaxy, Ambush, Hell’s Highway, RAF, D-Day at Omaha Beach, Enemy Action Ardennes, SPI Strato-matic League, The Beloved 1987 Minnesota Twins

1:40 Bryan Collars: Point of Origin, Greenville Mafia, WBC, the Boardgame

2:23 Mark Herman, Wendell Albright, Herr Dr: Logistics & Supply in Wargames: “The Spectrum”, Victory Games’ elegant & unique The Korean War, Dunnigan’s Breakout & Pursuit, 1776, Empire of the Sun, importance of logistics in ancients campaign & the GREAT book on Macedonian logistics, Napoleon in Russia, Victory Games’ The Civil War, For the People, GMT/Simonitch’s upcoming new civil war game, Dunnigan’s ACW game, the famous NAP’s retreat from Russia infographic, Herman’s upcoming Churchill game chatter

3:23 Maymi Hayakawa & Gesine Stanienda: Red Winter, Tonkin, Gameon.con in Seatle, the ASL room (eegads!), entering the hobby from non traditional avenues, Ancients games, Poniske designs (King Phillips War, Maori Wars)

3:59: Wrap up: Overflowing gaming plate; wargame hobby is pumping.

========

A few of the items mentioned on the show:

Videos:

Tonkin "how to play" video: Tonkin - Cao Bang 001

Last Days in Vietnam

Breaker Morant

Books:

Gettysburg: The Last Invasion – Guelzo

Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army - Engels

The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Prop. - Coover

A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam - Sheehan

Stats:

Charles Joseph Minard’s : Carte figurative des pertes successives en hommes de l'Armée Française dans la campagne de Russie 1812-1813

Games:

Breakout & Pursuit SPI Dunnigan

Tonkin - Kanger

Red Winter - Mokszycki

Dien Bien Phu - The Final Gamble - Kanger

=====

Guns, Dice, Butter, now with over 50k downloads, is available on iTunes, Boardgamegeek and many other places gamers hang on the web.

GDB website: http://gunsdicebutter.libsyn.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, John Butterfield, along with all the rest -- thanks! I look forward to listening, even though it's less than 10 degrees F right now. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
John is a GREAT guest; good stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fat Tuesday tomorrow? There will be excellent snacks to consume while listening to the show here then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Hurray! Can't wait to listen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:

Damm...I want one of those things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
And you brought it in at 1 minute less than the previous episode!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, some people said the episode XXII was too long, so, I shortened this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Very enjoyable, thanks for continuing with this.

I particularly like the origin stories (and am always amazed at how nearly everyone had the same trajectory)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another entry in the Logistics discussion should be the Winter Storm series, which covers the Eastern Front at the same scale as OCS but arguably does a better job with its logistics. I don't fully remember how it worked, but it was a variation on how The Korean War works--you have a limited number of supplies and can assign a headquarters to one of three states--A, B, or C. The headquarters in turn have throw ranges and provide either full, limited or basic supply to their units, which impacts their ability to attack and the kinds of operations units can conduct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
seanmac wrote:
Another entry in the Logistics discussion should be the Winter Storm series, which covers the Eastern Front at the same scale as OCS but arguably does a better job with its logistics. I don't fully remember how it worked, but it was a variation on how The Korean War works--you have a limited number of supplies and can assign a headquarters to one of three states--A, B, or C. The headquarters in turn have throw ranges and provide either full, limited or basic supply to their units, which impacts their ability to attack and the kinds of operations units can conduct.

Sean is that the Edelwiess game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking forward to a new episode of GDB. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
seanmac wrote:

Sean is that the Edelwiess game?

Yes, Edelweiss is volume III in the Winter Storm Campaign Series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:

2:23 Mark Herman, Wendell Albright, Herr Dr: Logistics & Supply in Wargames: “The Spectrum”, Victory Games’ elegant & unique The Korean War, Dunnigan’s Breakout & Pursuit, 1776, Empire of the Sun, importance of logistics in ancients campaign & the GREAT book on Macedonian logistics, Napoleon in Russia, Victory Games’ The Civil War, For the People, GMT/Simonitch’s upcoming new civil war game, Dunnigan’s ACW game, the famous NAP’s retreat from Russia infographic, Herman’s upcoming Churchill game chatter

For the record, in our games of The Civil War, we always called the collection of crappy Union generals hiding deep in the interior The Springfield Poker Club.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started listening to these from the beginning, and realized I don't have 3+ hours to devote to a podcast, no matter how interesting...at least not if I'm ever going to catch up. So, I guess I'll just fast forward to now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
I started listening to these from the beginning, and realized I don't have 3+ hours to devote to a podcast, no matter how interesting...at least not if I'm ever going to catch up. So, I guess I'll just fast forward to now.

If you're late to the game, as I was, it can be a daunting task. Most of the podcasts are 2-3 hours each, so that can be a high hurdle for some. I was used to most podcasts I listened to being in the 60-90 minute range, which works well for me, as my drive to my main office is about an hour both ways. When I decided to catch up on GDB, it took me over four months to listen to the first twenty episodes.

I enjoy the content very much, but gotta admit that these 4 hour plus monster-casts are a bit much. I just started listening to it yesterday (about 30 minutes in), but don't expect I'll finish it until next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dockter
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason they are mega episodes is that there is fair amount of energy/time required to do any episode (call it "setup/breakdown" time - it's actually pretty significant to boot up garage band, edit the segments, etc), so, by lumping them together, I save time & energy for something else (gaming!). And the interviews happen when they happen; usually in bunches. They then tend to tie together, which is another reason I lump them together.

I've never thought it was an issue (length of podcast), since, well, the pause tech button die roll was successfully made awhile ago ....plus, I like monster content (wargames, series, books, etc) arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The longer the better (that's what she said!), at least for me. I can listen while working, but even for people who can't listen all at once, your shows, in particular, are pretty segmented. Not hard to listen to it in sections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:

The Point 2 Point podcast was also quite long (2-3 hours often?) and I had problems catching up. A business trip abroad with several hours of flights, buses, trains, airports took care of that for me. I think something like that is the trick needed.

Normally I only listen when commuting to work or going for a walk, but that will rarely add up to more than an hour per day. After two days I am still not don with episode XXIII. Enjoying it so far. Always interesting to listen to Butterfield in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
Herr Dr wrote:
The reason they are mega episodes is that there is fair amount of energy/time required to do any episode (call it "setup/breakdown" time - it's actually pretty significant to boot up garage band, edit the segments, etc), so, by lumping them together, I save time & energy for something else (gaming!). And the interviews happen when they happen; usually in bunches. They then tend to tie together, which is another reason I lump them together.

I've never thought it was an issue (length of podcast), since, well, the pause tech button die roll was successfully made awhile ago :D ....plus, I like monster content (wargames, series, books, etc) :arrrh:

Understand where you're coming from. I know that most of your episodes are going to take me a couple days of commute time to hear all the way through. That's not a bad thing. The segments have the feel of a single podcast and as a whole it's like 2-4 podcasts in a related series.

My comment about a bit much has to do more with newcomers to GDB. If they are used to other podcasts, like the Dice Tower, 3-4 hours might give them pause. If length of the episode is their determining factor, you probably won't get them to listen. If content is, then they will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one comment about the audio though: Hr Dr is not by far as loud as anyone else talking in the interviews or the panel. Since I listen in headphones on trains and buses I actually adjust the volume up and down all the time to hear what he says without having my ears hurting when someone else is speaking. There should be some effect (a compressor?) that can be applied to the entire audio file in one click or two to fix that, I think?

It probably matters a lot less when listening in speakers or with less background noise. If I'm the only one bothered I can try to apply some effect here on my own before listening next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DownriverRick wrote:
Herr Dr wrote:

I've never thought it was an issue (length of podcast), since, well, the pause tech button die roll was successfully made awhile ago ....plus, I like monster content (wargames, series, books, etc) arrrh

Understand where you're coming from. I know that most of your episodes are going to take me a couple days of commute time to hear all the way through. That's not a bad thing. The segments have the feel of a single podcast and as a whole it's like 2-4 podcasts in a related series.

My comment about a bit much has to do more with newcomers to GDB. If they are used to other podcasts, like the Dice Tower, 3-4 hours might give them pause. If length of the episode is their determining factor, you probably won't get them to listen. If content is, then they will.

As wargamers, I wouldn't think we are supposed to be daunted by something taking a little extra time! Besides, I'm listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast also, and the current World War I segments are comparable (the last one was 4:32).

In any case - Herr Dr - having the time stamps on segments really helps break it up into manageable listening chunks. And your bridge music is great! So please keep doing what you're doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could listen to it in pieces, and when I'm driving somewhere, it's usually not more than 20 minutes each way. When I'm working at home, I generally prefer music, it's less distracting. I enjoyed the 2 or so episodes I listened through the whole way, and by the time I caught up 40 hours worth I'd be another 40 hours behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
Your podcasts really bring the reality of gaming joy to life. Every guest is so energetic towards the hobby that it really draws me into the atmosphere easily.

Great interviews and guests. Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Derek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to listen to this podcast. Length is not a problem; I listen to one episode over several car trips (I listen almost exclusively in the car.) I too have the "Herr Dr. is much quieter than the guests" problem and have to keep fiddling with the volume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.