Indian Chief» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question re: beggar man scoring rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Nichols
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
My husband and I just discovered this game and love it! What a blast, and so nice to have something fun and interesting that has no setup to speak of and only takes 10 minutes of our time (unless we play several games in a row, which has been the habit!).

We do, however, have a question regarding the scoring of the Beggar Man. The rules say, "For each card someone else melds on the same round that matches the rank of one of your two cards, score 2 points." I understand this in essence - say that I meld the Poor Man and play a 6 of diamonds and a 6 and 8 of spades, while my husband melds Beggar Man and plays a 6 of hearts and a queen of diamonds. My husband would then score 4 points: two for each of my 6s that match his 6. However, what if my husband plays a 6 of hearts and a 6 of clubs, and I play a 5 and 8 of spades and a 6 of diamonds? Does he score 2 points or 4? Where the rules say "...that matches the rank of ONE of your two cards", my thinking is he would score 2, since my 6 matches ONE of his two cards. However, the rule could also be interpreted as meaning that both cards count as "ONE of two cards": so he would score 2 points on my 6 for one of his two cards (a six), and then score 2 points on my 6 for his other one of two cards (also a six).

Clarification? Thanks!! (Sorry if the answer to this is obvious - we've probably been thinking about it too hard.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sarah! Someone else posed this question earlier, and the answer is in the rules thread, but here it is again:

With Beggar Man, it is "for each card someone else melds" that the 2 points score. (Thus if the Beggar Man played two eights, he would still only score two points for an eight played by another player.) The intention is to encourage people to play two different cards as Beggar Man, since that maximizes the chances of a match.

When the game is published (ha!) I'll take care to word this more clearly.

Thanks for playing the game! I'm glad you're enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Nichols
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Thanks so much!! ^_^ Sorry I missed that this was already asked - I'm fairly new to BGG so I'm still learning how to navigate the forums and such. :-p Anyway, I so appreciate your reply. Can't wait to see a published version of the game! ;-)

- Sarah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.