Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Barnes
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a very fun game - same company that produced one of my favorite games from last year (Cas$h N Guns), pirate theme, running around the table, what's not to like? My wife and kids would love it.

Too bad the artwork makes it totally inappropriate for kids. Was it really necessary to have the F-bomb tattooed on one of the pirates and very topless women on the front of the pirate ships?

I woulda bought it in a heartbeat. What a shame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you perhaps draw bikinis on the women with a sharpie, and change 'fuck' to 'gosh'? Or, even better, put the cards in sleeves, and draw on the sleeves! Then if grown-ups want to ogle the cartoon boobs and giggle at the swear words they can take the cards out of their sleeves when the kids are asleep.

What say? arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barnes
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The bikinis would be fairly easy, but I'm not so sure changing fuck to gosh would be. We did employ Mr. Sharpie on some of the cards in Ca$h N Guns. It makes me feel a little guilty, though. Like a big, bad censor.

I know I am coming across like a prude, but it is only for the sake of the kiddos. Darn kids! They spoil everything! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The kids are gonna' read and hear that word eventually... Probably better that YOU'RE there to play the game with them and say "that's an adult word" than to have them just start spewing it wantonly after watching "Reservoir Dogs" on their own while you're out at a dinner party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an adult and I think I can handle it. I understand you not wanting your kids to see it though. I like the idea of you using a sharpie rather then the company changing everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are also labels that you can buy and stick over the offensive parts. There are even labels that you can put through an inkjet or laser printer and have it show and say whatever you like, even matching the original artwork if you scan it.

It looks like you could easily make those look like "FLICK" anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barnes
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably end up getting it despite my problems with the art. If nothing else, I can simply trade it away.

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with John that the artwork is inappropriate for kids. The idea of taking a Sharpie to the cards might be worth the effort if the game were more fun. For a speed game, try Jungle Speed instead. For a puzzle game, try Ubongo or Set. If you must have both in the same game, I suppose you can try this but I wouldn't let my child see the game without fixing the artwork first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree, since figureheads on real ships have mermaids with breasts, and that fact prevents no one from taking their kids to a tall ships regatta.

Kids know about breasts. It's adults who get all worked up about them being "inappropriate." You all know women have breasts with which they suckle babies, right?

Telling that while words and breasts offend, no one seems to think kids shouldn't see the ship of the dead card, complete with a corpse on the prow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the sharpie to my set this week so I could use it in library programming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.