Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: How can I make Legendary harder? (What to buy) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi, how are ya'll doing?

I have Legendary base set and it's not that hard. Games are expensive here in Brazil and the exchange rate + taxes now aren't helping to buy from USA, so I want to know: If I can buy just 1 big box (Legendary: Dark City or Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game) and 1 small box (Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Paint the Town Red, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Fantastic Four or Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Guardians of the Galaxy) to give more variety and increase the difficulty of the game, what should I buy?

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Dark City as your large box. Villains isn't bad just Dark City adds more for less money.

For the small boxes I need more time to play as I've just got Guardians. I quite like paint the town for it's villains but was so so for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
Hi, how are ya'll doing?

I have Legendary base set and it's not that hard. Games are expensive here in Brazil and the exchange rate + taxes now aren't helping to buy from USA, so I want to know: If I can buy just 1 big box (Legendary: Dark City or Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game) and 1 small box (Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Paint the Town Red, Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Fantastic Four or Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game – Guardians of the Galaxy) to give more variety and increase the difficulty of the game, what should I buy?

Thanks everyone!

If you have the base game. And want to have the most difficult options possible.

I think Dark City + either Fantastic 4 or Guardians of the Galaxy is the best bet.

Dark City has Apocalypse. Fantastic Four has Galactus and Guardians of the Galaxy has Thanos. I think those three are the most difficult masterminds in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with dark city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

You should quit thinking it's a co-op game. It's not. It's a semi-cooperative game. There will be one winner. Like Thunderstone. Try Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game for a true co-op game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put Mastermind Tactics in the Villain Deck as Villain Cards. That usually does the trick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Aberdonian wrote:
I would recommend Dark City as your large box. Villains isn't bad just Dark City adds more for less money.

For the small boxes I need more time to play as I've just got Guardians. I quite like paint the town for it's villains but was so so for the heroes.

Nice! Thanks for the help!

Sly master9 wrote:
DarthVandelay wrote:
Hi, how are ya'll doing?

Thanks everyone!

If you have the base game. And want to have the most difficult options possible.

I think Dark City + either Fantastic 4 or Guardians of the Galaxy is the best bet.

Dark City has Apocalypse. Fantastic Four has Galactus and Guardians of the Galaxy has Thanos. I think those three are the most difficult masterminds in the game.

If it's a matter of choice between the 2 small boxes, I guess Fantastic Four is more my cup of tea.

costguy wrote:
I would go with dark city.

That's a lock on Dark City!

turtleback wrote:

You should quit thinking it's a co-op game. It's not. It's a semi-cooperative game. There will be one winner. Like Thunderstone. Try Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game for a true co-op game.

Yeah, I know... but some extra tension si always good! Besides, I don't care too much for the Alien theme unfortunately

M_Strauss wrote:
Put Mastermind Tactics in the Villain Deck as Villain Cards. That usually does the trick.

Cool! Will try that for sure! Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! Cheers from Brazil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever i want to pay a hard game i just play base set villains, no other modules. Most combinations will kill you. My favorite way to go is trying to beat prof X and all the x-factions. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Dark City, definitely. Besides the harder villains, schemes etc, there are loads of suggestions in the rule book for making things harder.

And if you want difficulty I would choose Fantastic Four over Paint the Town Red (I don't have Guardians yet). Galactus is great, and his heralds can be one of the tougher villain sets, even with another mastermind. I find Moleman and the subterreanea really fun to play against too. FF has some great schemes, eg I really like 'Pull Reality into the negative zone' for how it flips the recuit/attack points, or 'invincible force field' for forcing you to pull together even more points to take the mastermind down.

In defense of Paint the Town Red though, with all his illusions it can be quite tough to take Mysterio down before the scheme ends, and this pack has some great schemes as well (e.g. clone saga, and invade the daily bugle HQ are my favourites).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to make it harder is to add more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Have you tried increasing the difficulty as suggested in the rules?

1havok12 has designed these as well as the dark city difficulties in card form: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/994403/plan-bdifficulty-and-...

He has also created action cards which I think can be used to increase difficulty as they are played from the villain deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
+1 for Dark City

As for the smaller expansions... It's tough.
Depends on what you're after.

However, based on the other thread, I'd recommend the Fantastic Four since it's going to be out of print shortly and you won't have a second chance at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have experience with the Villains set, but I did find that some of the options and villains in Dark City upped the difficulty level. As far as a single small box... All three offer some new experiences with great new characters. But I would go with Fantastic Four, partly due to Galactus (whom I have yet to defeat) and partly due to it seemingly going out of print soon. But the number one reason for me to get the F4 set was that any Marvel game that doesn't have the Richards' family just isn't a Marvel game. They're the First Family of Marvel, for cryin' out loud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A more competent opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simplest way to make the mastermind harder is add one or two to their power level. I found that when playing full cooperative mode that adding one point to compensate for us not playing semi cooperatively seemed to be about right. It meant that at least once or twice or three times a game we'd be one Attack short of fighting the Mastermind versus not being short if we hadn't boosted his power.

And as someone else mentioned above the rules do list a bunch of increasingly more difficult things you can do. So if you still think the Mastermind is too easy even after boosting their power by a couple of points you can use the suggestions in the rules.

Either way though playing semi-cooperatively does make the mastermind's difficulty kind of moot since the goal is to have more victory points than the other players and not simply to beat the mastermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to plug my own thread (actually, that's exactly what I'm doing...), but if you want to add a layer of difficulty to the game, try these out: Battlegrounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Saamanen
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
+1 for Dark City
However, based on the other thread, I'd recommend the Fantastic Four since it's going to be out of print shortly and you won't have a second chance at it.

Which thread is this? I can't find it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I only own have Villains and Basic Set. The Villains set is far tougher than the Basic Set. You can easily use the Villains equivalent of Masterminds (Commanders) to greatly enhance the challenge from the Basic Set.

For the other sets, the best move is to choose a set or sets that have characters that interest you. There's a data file around here listing what cards are in each set and the same one even gives you the card text. By all accounts, Apocalypse is a towering Mastermind, but all the sets have at least one Mastermind who gives you a challenge, so you'll find something to like in any of them.

If you're like me and have very little money, you have other options.

1) Someone made custom tactic cards to enhance the danger of the Basic Set Masterminds.

2) Another person simply adds 1D4 to the Attack power of weaker Masterminds (Red Skull, Magneto) each time he's defeated. If you don't know Role-Playing Game lingo, 1D4 means the result of a four-sided die.

3) Remember that different Villain groups and Masterminds are tougher based on what heroes are in the game. The Enemies of Asgard hurt you if you have no Ranged Heroes, Magneto is tougher if you have no X-Men and so on. It feels right to have the heroes fight related villains, but mismatches will add difficulty, which is what you're after.

Check out The Custom Card Database for a great many reasons. You will also get optional versions of a wealth of heroes and villains, too.

--To Nat--

Nat, the thread is called "No More Fantastic Four confirmed?"

Here's the link to the news; the relevant part is the last sentence/paragraph:

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/30879/firefly-the-crow-as...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Saamanen
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I now have all the expansions and I highly recommend dark city and fantastic four to increase difficulty (haven't yet tried guardians of the galaxy).

My favourites by far (so far) are Apocalypse and Galactus and their associated villain groups. They make it difficult by destroying the city (Galactus) causing villains to escape or by making you put 1+ costing cards back on your deck (Apocalypse).

Up until yesterday we could not beat Apocalypse. The only way it was possible was to use one of the 8 original schemes and even then evil almost won. Today we shall face Galactus and once we beat him (I hope) we will try them again with the newer schemes.

Good luck with your choice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Clark
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
turtleback wrote:

Why do you say it's "semi-cooperative"? I guess technically if you follow those stupid final countdown(think that's what it's called) rules, then I suppose you have a point. My and my friends though chucked those rules after two games and instead just go for the team score (And compare against our previous fights).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeradom wrote:
Why do you say it's "semi-cooperative"? I guess technically if you follow those stupid final countdown(think that's what it's called) rules, then I suppose you have a point. My and my friends though chucked those rules after two games and instead just go for the team score (And compare against our previous fights).

You can play it anyway you like, of course!

But I refer you to the bottom of page 18 and the top of page 19 of the rulebook, which says:
Quote:
Cooperative and Competitive Play
Legendary is both cooperative (with players cooperating to beat the Mastermind) and competitive (with players competing to get the most Victory Points). Some play groups like to focus on cooperating. Other groups focus on competing. And some groups do a little of both. Some players even start out competing, and then switch to cooperating more and more as the Mastermind gets closer to victory. This matches a lot of Marvel storylines!

This is the definition of a semi-cooperative game. It doesn't have anything at all to do with the optional Final Showdown rule, which I think most players also disregard, the same as you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.