Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Wyatt Earp» Forums » General

Subject: Any feedback on the card size and quality of new edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For those out there that have the new edition, can you comment on the quality of the cards as well as the size? How about the other components, including the money, the box and insert?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

Our cards are showing major wear. (Poker cards please!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest in Wyatt Earp!

The cards are much larger with a linen finish. I don't have the cards in front of me and I can't remember if they are bridge or poker size.

The box is larger and sturdier as is the money. Having a larger money size really makes handling it much easier.

The rules also have the original designer version of the Photo Opportunity, which allows players to play them out of turn when that Outlaw is melded.

In other words, all of the components have been substantially upgraded.

I hope some fans who have received the new version will reply to confirm what I am saying.

Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked this morning and they are indeed Poker Sized.

Ralph
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked them up from my FLGS.

While I can't comment on how the components stack up to previous versions, the cards are poker-size and have a nice linen finish. The card-stock thickness is in that sweet spot for shuffling, imo. The money and other cardboard components, come pre-punched in the box. While these are not of extraordinary thickness, I feel they are sufficient and will hold up over time. The money dimension are ~40 x 20mm.

The artwork looks really nice and fits the theme. From looking at pictures of previous versions, I think most of the artwork is the same, except for maybe the card backs(?) The character portraits on the cards look really sharp and clean and fit the flavor of this game well.

The box itself measures something like, ~8.5 x 6.25 x 2.00in. It has a nice molded insert that fits the cards in one compartment and the boards and money in another. I think there's ample room if you want to sleeve your cards.

My only minor gripe (and I'm REALLY nitpicking here.) is the boards do not fully fit in the one compartment. There's usually one that sits up a bit higher. It's not really an issue though because the box closes flush to the components.

Overall, I'm very happy with this edition.
5 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
artfuldodgr42 wrote:
I just picked them up from my FLGS.

While I can't comment on how the components stack up to previous versions, the cards are poker-size and have a nice linen finish. The card-stock thickness is in that sweet spot for shuffling, imo. The money and other cardboard components, come pre-punched in the box. While these are not of extraordinary thickness, I feel they are sufficient and will hold up over time. The money dimension are ~40 x 20mm.

The artwork looks really nice and fits the theme. From looking at pictures of previous versions, I think most of the artwork is the same, except for maybe the card backs(?) The character portraits on the cards look really sharp and clean and fit the flavor of this game well.

The box itself measures something like, ~8.5 x 6.25 x 2.00in. It has a nice molded insert that fits the cards in one compartment and the boards and money in another. I think there's ample room if you want to sleeve your cards.

My only minor gripe (and I'm REALLY nitpicking here.) is the boards do not fully fit in the one compartment. There's usually one that sits up a bit higher. It's not really an issue though because the box closes flush to the components.

Overall, I'm very happy with this edition.


Exactly the info I was looking for, especially the card thickness as there is a good deal of shuffling to be done. Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

Now I have to order a few copies for myself and gifts. This game is a favorite of the family and our previous editions are showing their age.

I hope the card quality is the same for all the Mystery Rummy reprints Eagle is doing, that was my only complaint with the old US Games editions I have.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bclayj wrote:

I hope the card quality is the same for all the Mystery Rummy reprints Eagle is doing, that was my only complaint with the old US Games editions I have.

Unfortunately it is not. I was at a buddy's house last night and played Wyatt Earp and he also showed me the Mystery Rummy games.
The Mystery Rummy games still have nice cards but they are not linen finish and I am not sure if they are quite as thick.

Edited to add that the Mystery Rummy cards are fine and would not disuade me from picking up the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Papa Ninja wrote:
bclayj wrote:

I hope the card quality is the same for all the Mystery Rummy reprints Eagle is doing, that was my only complaint with the old US Games editions I have.

Unfortunately it is not. I was at a buddy's house last night and played Wyatt Earp and he also showed me the Mystery Rummy games.
The Mystery Rummy games still have nice cards but they are not linen finish and I am not sure if they are quite as thick.

Edited to add that the Mystery Rummy cards are fine and would not disuade me from picking up the game.


Thanks Will, I may actually prefer them being a little less thick. After purchasing Wyatt Earp I found the cards to be difficult to shuffle well as they are a bit too stiff. They stuck together too much for a proper riffle shuffle as well, so I found myself having to split stacks and shuffle more (a proper shuffle after each hand in very important in these type of games).

Hopefully they will hold up, as I really want to replace my junk US Games Systems copies with the new printings. I wish Eagle would find a good European printer for their card games, as I have yet to see a Chinese printer (or US based printer) match the quality of the best European cards. But price is king...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.