Subject: ICC Cricket World Cup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: least_American_thread_ever [+] [View All]
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Thrill seekers,

The ICC Cricket World Cup has begun, an estimated billion people worldwide (give or take) thrilled to India defeating Pakistan, Australia thumped England and we have had the first victory of a minnow over a test playing nation.

As such, it's probably time to start a World Cup cricket thread here on BGG.

So, please throw in your comments, observations, predictions and (of course) sledges and in so doing cricket will be the real winner.

In case anyone is interested there are a (very) few of us are already conversing on this tournament on a geeklist which can be found here:

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

How is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Australia seems to be in good form - not that I would back anyone else, of course.

Our biggest problem might be if we put Clarke in and his leg falls off or something.

Looking forward to some good matches! I still enjoy the one day format (as well as full tests). 20-20 - just over too quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit the other way, Bort. Test cricket is obviously still the highest form of the game, and nothing beats it IMO, but for a shorter experience, I am starting to favour T20 because of the ridiculous shots and short playing time. ODIs have become stuck in a bit of a rut in the last few years, with a certain repetitiveness about them. Go hard for the first 15 overs, consolidate the innings, start to ramp up from about over 33-35 and go for it from over 40. Of course you get the odd classic, but I find ODIs are fast becoming the least interesting option for me.

Still, it's the world cup, and we should get some great matches in amongst the crap. I have tickets to the Aus/Sri Lanka game in a few weeks, hopefully it's a good one (although it'd be ok if we wrapped it up early because it's a sunday night and I'd love to get SOME sleep before work on Monday morning)

Early predictions are between India, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa for mine. We've been going along pretty well without having a fantastic team (remember the 99/03/07 squads? With Hayden, Gilchrist, the Waughs, McGrath, Warne, Ponting, Clarke, Gillespie etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems odd that they are only showing the Aussie games on Free to Air. C'mon, it the world cup is AUSTRALIA! My predictions is for a South Africa / Aussie Final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I wouldnt have minded seeing a few of the other big matches (not involving Australia)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
It seems odd that they are only showing the Aussie games on Free to Air. C'mon, it the world cup is AUSTRALIA! My predictions is for a South Africa / Aussie Final.

We are only getting a highlights package on free-to-air over here, although we are getting more than just England games. However it is TMS on the radio for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I much prefer the test match as my favoured format. I don't have a lot of interest in T20, but see how successful it has been in bringing a whole new demographic to the game. It looks to be here to stay so in this instance, as with so many others, my opinion doesn't really matter.

One dayers are okay, and I appreciate the effort and experiments of late to try to stop them being as formulaic as losfp describes. Nowadays a score of under 300 is hard going to defend, so team have to attack in the middle overs, rather than just pick off singles and preserve wickets for a final ten slog.

Not sure if India have the bowlers to make it all the way. Australia are a pretty good unit except for the lack of a quality spinner. The Kiwis look pretty good, but almost made a hash of a small chase against Scotland, while Sri Lanaka and Pakistan don't seem to be quite good enough at the moment. The South Africans are pretty much the best overall package but will they choke again? England remain dire; one wonders how Cook feels at the moment given Morgan's recent poor form - relieved, resentful or just plain old not caring?

I'm off to see the battle of the giants tomorrow (Afghanistan vs Bangladesh) at Manuka. Should be a good day out and hopefully a bit of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test matches for me too. Even a dull test match has periods of interest, either personally for batsmen/bowlers or for the team as a whole. I can remember many a test match, either watched in person or followed remotely, but can scarcely remember anything about any of the ODIs or T20s I've seen. They are fun at the time, but are largely meaningless.

Like everyone else it's hard to see a winner of this world cup beyond Oz, SA and possibly NZ. The other teams, whilst good in flashes, are just not consistent enough.

Of course, when it comes to the knock out stage, things are much more chaotic, but in the group stages its hard to see beyond the usual suspects, with perhaps Ireland going through instead of WI (who look worse now even than they have done recently).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
muzfish4 wrote:
England remain dire; one wonders how Cook feels at the moment given Morgan's recent poor form - relieved, resentful or just plain old not caring?

TBH Morgan is fairly inconsistent these days (only two 50+ innings in the past year, avg 18.22) and I don't think he has a good captain's brain.

I think the problem is clear to see -
a) inconsistency in the batters. We need two of 'em to go on and get decent scores, not just one.
b) bowling. Not one bowler delivering his overs at under 6 an over is pathetic.

Basically I don't think the management know who the best team is either in personnel or at what number to play them. They also try to come up with a game-plan which the captain sticks to rather than let the guys out in the field work things out.

Personally I would have had Ravi Bopara in my one day side. He is underused as a bowler and usually delivers economical figures when he is used, and can be a useful batsmen.

BTW - has the umps cockup in the Anderson run-out in the Aus-Eng game got much discussion over there? OK in this case it didn't change the result in this case but it was a poor show all round by the umpires. It also has the outside chance to affect qualification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
BTW - has the umps cockup in the Anderson run-out in the Aus-Eng game got much discussion over there?

Yes, definitely made the (sports) headlines here - it was a bad miss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Said it in the GeekList and have been saying it for months on the cricket forum I lost on, but it's NZ for me.

As for formats, Test and T20s for me. The only reason I watch ODIs are to see Kohli and deVilliers.

But, ESPN is charging $100 for their streaming coverage here in the US and because many/most of the games are on overnight, it wasn't worth it for me to buy in (and I'm a guy that pays $15/month for other WillowTV cricket coverage.) It's hard being an American cricket fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disgusted that the plan is to decrease the number of teams in future tournaments.

It's hugely important that teams like Ireland, Scotland, Afghanistan, UAE, Netherlands etc get to play the "test playing teams" as often as possible.

I'd like more teams given test status too. If they want to protect the "big" teams you could probably even change the tiers a little and have 2 tiers of test teams with seven teams in each. After every two years the bottom two teams in the top tier could play the top two teams in the second tier to see if any get promoted or relegated.

That would currently mean something like:

TEST TIER 1: South Africa, Australia, England, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, India.
TEST TIER 2: West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Ireland(?), Afghanistan(?), Netherlands(?), Scotland(?).

Then if the two year cycle ended tomorrow, you'd play a test series between Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and India and West Indies to see if the teams swapped their status for the next two years.

Of course, there's no chance of that happening because India would flat out refuse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
It's too bad the BCCI controls the ICC. I'm with you on a two tier system for tests and more opportunities for non-test nations to play more high quality cricket. The Intercontinental Cup is a good start of course and finally the winner of the next two year cycle will get to play a low ranked test team, but everything just moves so slowly.

It doesn't make sense to limit the WC when they decided to continue the Champions Trophy. The events will be almost the same thing in their next iterations. Dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me started on the BCCI! I fume every time there's a series against them where reviews isn't used and bad decisions are made etc etc. Of course the cynic inside me (and a lot of cricket fans) is that they don't like reviews because there's corruption in Indian cricket, bias, match fixing and serious pressure put on the umpires by Indian players.

But yeah, I'm just cynical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was silly not picking Pietersen, he was in pretty good form for the t-20 in Aus a few months back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing I can say in favour of NZ's chase is that they did make the needed runs in less than 25 overs and wickets were irrelevant - unless they lost another 3, of course.

I have tickets for the Quarterfinal in Wellington which should involve NZ. At work we've done a sweepstake and are bringing in morning tea based on our chosen country. We've had some great Afghani pastries so far.

Hoping the weather stays nice and we have some good contests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
Hoping the weather stays nice

Not looking good for Brisbane - very heavy rain forecast over the next few days, theres a cyclone off the coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted this on the geeklist but it may be of interest here as well:

Quote:
Well, it was an excellent night out with a pretty good crowd of just under 11,000 very polite and knowledgeable cricket lovers as well as couple of nitwits with air horns. Even before one entered Manuka Oval there was a bit of a sense of occasion with a few bands playing outside and a couple of street entertainers also doing the rounds. I was interviewed by ESPN cricinfo.com about my stance on the barring of associate nations from the next world cup, so look out for that one if it makes the cut.

It was very much like a Bangladesh home game inside the ground and everywhere in the crowd was green and red. I decided to barrack for the Afghans just to show a bit of support for them and the amazing and aurous journey that they travelled to get this far and even picked up the last size L Afghan supporter shirt at the concession stand.

Sadly, the Afghans went down. Their bowling and fielding were pretty good - especially Zazai behind the pegs, but the 100 run middle order partnership just took the game away from the Afghans a little. There was also some weird umpiring ruling which was not even vaguely articulated to the crowd.

What really did the damage was the upper order collapse with them being 3 for 3 at on stage. Impossible to come back from but the went down fighting. The Bangladeshi opening bowlers both put the ball in the right place and really put the screws of from ball one.

The Afghans were defeated but not, I feel outclassed. In a small oval a test playing nation took 26 over to hit their first six.

All-in-all a great afternoon and evening out - there were even some reasonable (if overpriced) catering options on offer. I'd love to be able to get to some other games but sadly, circumstances just do not allow it.

To clarify, I suggested to Cricinfo that limiting the numbers at the next world cup was a thoroughly retrograde step which would limit the growth of cricket. They guy behind me in the line didn't know anything about it.

So far we've seen some pretty credible performances from the minnows, Zimbabwe pushed South Africa and in turn were given a scare by UAE, Ireland defeated the Windies and Scotland almost made NZ embarrass themselves chasing a very low total.

Interestingly and delightfully, Afghanistan is ahead of England (on net run rate) at the moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Murray. Happy to see you were supporting the Afghans a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Southee and BMac simply destroying the English. Watching a Cook-less England lose makes me happier than I can express.

Southee with 7 wickets and McCullum now 48* off 17.

They have almost half the England total in 4 overs!

(Cook is my favorite player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is going to be over before the tea break.

Just brutal batting from McCullum. Guptil is on 18 from 15 and he looks like he's standing still compared to McCullum (48 from 17)

Pretty fair effort by Southee too!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Finn 0 for 49 off 2 overs!!!!

This is pure batting brilliance and entertainment. I'm laughing my rear end off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Did anyone notice the similarity in scores between the men and women's games?

Men: England 123 a.o.- NZ 125/2
Women: England 122/5 - NZ 124/4

The latter was a T20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's out first real drubbing and it must have been a real surprise fro everyone who isn't Piers Morgan.

Fantastic stuff from the Kiwis marred only, so it seems, by the umpires insisting that a break be taken with NZ needing 12. So far with Anderson's run out, Shenwari being yanked and now the casual contempt for fans and players by forcing them to wait an extra 45 minutes for the coup de grace (finally coming from 5 wides from Broad) the umpires have not had a great tournament so far.

Morgan says he's "feeling a lot better as a batsman today"; he scored 17 from 41. Half of Finn's two overs went for six; how is his mental fortitude after that?

Cook must be so relived he's not there, KP must be delighted and the England are at the bottom of Pool A and must be dreading making a mess of their upcoming matches with Scotland, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.

Finally, BMac had a strike rate of 308. Very hard not to like the Kiwis at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Cricket, more than any other sport, always seems to lack common sense. You think that since they have the ability to extend sessions in test cricket when a team is one wicket away that they could have come together, had a chat, and done the same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.