Subject: Kids party games-help? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] recommendations [+] pirate [+] [View All]
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The little fella's birthday party is on this weekend and the theme is Pirate. So need some help on ideas for piratey party activities for 4-5 year olds. We have been able to come up with

Pin the pirate on the treasure
treasure hunt for pieces of eight

that's it shake

Any ideas would be appreciated-especially looking for something with a walk the plank in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
Pin the pirate on the treasure

Or better still, the eyepatch on the pirate... potential for hilarity there.

Hmmm... I suppose you could have a punchbowl with 'grog' written on it in large lettering.

The plank could be a blindfolded walking in a straight line thing, like a cop testing a drunk driver. Give the children a belt of grog first.

Oooh, what about a peg leg race? I leave the details up to you, but you could get the children to hold a leg behind their back rather than amputating it.

If you find some green sprinkles, you can have scurvy bread instead of fairy bread.

And what about an ARRRRRing contest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
A Google search on "children's party plans pirates" served up a bunch of places to gather ideas. Much more than I could come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
If you find some green sprinkles, you can have scurvy bread instead of fairy bread.

Pin tin the tail on the mermaid?

Make your own pirate map. Draw the map on plain paper, scrunch the paper up and then soak it in cold tea for a while, then let it dry out and presto you have your own aged pirate map. (If it is a nice sunny day you cuold even singe the edge with a magnifying glass - probably not a good idea to let the littlies do that though.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Colour in your own pirate hat? Or colour in your own pirate parrot.

I can't think of how to turn cheezel eating contests into a pirate activity but they have always gone over really well at creche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a lot of fun. You may want to check out Pop-up Pirate. I've been wanting to get that one for my son who's three. I like the pin the pirate on the treasure idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fun Neil!

Good luck!

http://www.boardmanweb.com/party/pirate.html

http://www.coolest-kid-birthday-parties.com/pirate-games.htm...

I hope these help!

The second one has a suggestion for a game to do with plank walking, but with blow up alligators (renowned for thier attraction to pirates) I think it is probably beyond the realm of most normal birthday party games!!!

The one I concocted involved two teams each with a dinghy and a couple (min of 2) of carronades, oh and 5 rabid monkeys. You'll also need sawdust and probably a couple of splints and at least one bonesaw, but the recommended age is 6 and up - so I'll email you the full rules next year!!

Good luck!!!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the party went very well and the little fella had a blast as did his friends (and I think the parents did too). Al and I would like to thank you all for the advice. All games the kids were given various amounts of pieces of eight, jewellary and gems as well as prizes such as bandanas, wristbands, figurines all pirate based. What we came up with

1. When the kids arrived they got to do some craft by making a telescope. With a bit of coloured paper that they could design with stickers and textas they would then wrap them around a piece of cardboard roll.

2. Once they finished their telescope they got to visit the pirate tattoo parlour and a variety of tattoos were applied.

3. The kids at that age love pass the parcel. So Al puts on some of my old punk, being the closest thing to pirate music-although I have an inkling to put together a pirate punk band in full regalia-I think it just might work. What she did was, every unwrap of the parcel had a number of pieces of eight embedded in it. The kids loved it and they couldn't wait to have the music stop for them and collect their tresure.

4. Pin the pirate on the treasure went off well too, although some kids, including my own decided it was above them and placed the pirate on the ground. Go figure?

5. The scurvy bread was an absolute hit and was the first food item to be finished, even ahead of the traditional fairy bread and chocolate crackles.

6. Musical statues did not work so well and my nephew won it by not moving at all throughout the game.

7. Al organised a wonderful treasure hunt. All the little pirates had to work together to find the treasure and share in the booty. With cards placed around the yard and found by clues, Amazing Race style, they worked their way to a fake treasure box full bugs and then to the real treasure.

8. Bomb the bad pirate was next were I got dressed up as a really bad pirate (probably more like a zombie pirate) and the kids got to water bomb me. Unfortunately the water bomb balloons were so strong that I got red marks all over my body as they didn't burst. My dear wife made sure the adults got some to chuck at me also. Eventually one of my good friends and her son decided to pour buckets of water on me. I then performed my infamous wet t-shirt display. Yes it was the same one that made me runner-up at the Seattle Bikers Fair-much to the fanfare of the parents.

9. Every good pirate needs to learn how to sweep the deck so we made up two teams and in relay style would sweep a ball up and around a chair and back. Although 3-5 year olds aren't as coordinated as us it made for a whole lot of fun.

10. The ARRGGHHH! contest was excellant with all kids participating. There was ad-libbing by one child with an ARRRGHHH me mateys! (Bonus points) and another kid made a continual low rumbling gurgle that went for 5 minutes.

11. Sword fights!! For a simple game it really was a favorite. Get some bread sticks and pair people up. As soon as your bread stick breaks your out and the winner moves to the next round. The little fella won after facing off to a 10 year old in the final!!

On behalf of Al and I thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give you a call next July when it's my party Neil, I like Knights and Dragons - so you can start planning now!

The party sounds awesome! Well done for organising such a fantastic sounding experience for your young'un! I wish my parents were that creative when it came to my birthdays!!!! (cue Violin...)

Cheers!

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, this isn't going to sound too fun, but I tell ya, kids love this.

"Don't Eat Pete"
A child is chosen to come up and eat 3 M&Ms. One of the M&Ms has been dubbed "Pete", and when Pete is eaten, everyone yells "Don't Eat Pete!".

Have a child leave the room.
Pick 3 M&M's
Have another child pick which M&M is "Pete"
Call the child back.
Have them slowly eat the M&Ms one at a time.
As each one is about to touch their lips, pretend you're going to say "Don't Eat Pete" to build tension. But don't actually say anything if it's not Pete.
Once they do eat Pete, everyone shouts "Don't Eat Pete!". The M&M eater gets to take any of the leftover 3 M&Ms with them.
Repeat until interest has sufficiently waned.

At first the kids won't really get why it's fun. But, the combination of tension, one kid getting a lot of attention, one kid getting to pick Pete, and a bunch of kids yelling makes this a birthday party winner.

I usually stand right next to the Pete eater, and stare at them intently. Sometimes I say things like "I'm going to poke you with my fingers as soon as you eat Pete." Or, "No! Not that one! Don't do it!"

I'm tellin' ya, big hit. Great way to kill time between other activities too. It wouldn't be so hard to figure out how to make this 'piratey'. Chocolate coins instead of M&Ms would work. Or, you could exclaim "Arrrr!!! Don't Eat Pete!!!".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.