Popular Tags: [View All]
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question that is strangely not addressed in the rulebook. I am wondering if Combat Damage dealt is always considered like Trample Damage as in Magic: The Gathering. This means that any excess damage absorbed by a Defending/Protecting Ally would pass through to the Hero.

Example 1:

I am attacking with an Ally that has an ATK of 8. My opponent chooses to Defend with an Ally that has 4 life. Do I kill the Ally and also do 4 damage to their Hero? Or does the Ally absorb all 8 damage even though it only had 4 life?

Example 2:

In the example above, what if my Ally targeted the Hero directly... and my opponent choose to Protect with an Ally (that has Protection)? What happens then?

Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I think happens:

Example 1:
The ally, with only 4 life, absorbs all 8 pts of damage. My guess is that like the WoW MMORPG, allies/pets absorb all damage directed at them, even if the damage dealt is greater than their life. There isn't any trample damage.

Example 2:
Like the example above, since the Ally "stepped in" to Protect your Hero, you ally will, once again, take all the damage directed at it.

I haven't checked the WoW TCG boards yet, but I'm guessing this is the case. I'm thinking they would have written an explicit rule for trample damage if they had wanted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I think you are correct.

In all the examples in the rulebook, the Ally being killed always takes the exact amount of damage as its life. This begs the question... well what if MORE damage is dealt than the Ally has Life? It's never addressed.

I guess the baseline assumption is the same as in MTG. Unless otherwise stated, an Ally can absorb an infinite amount of damage before dying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
I guess the baseline assumption is the same as in MTG. Unless otherwise stated, an Ally can absorb an infinite amount of damage before dying.
This would make sense as in most cases you are using a weapon, so the person that gets between you and the target takes the damage from the blow, not the person standing behind them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonnyG wrote:
This would make sense as in most cases you are using a weapon, so the person that gets between you and the target takes the damage from the blow, not the person standing behind them.

That's true. I appreciate rules that ultimately "make sense".

I'm sure that WOWTCG will introduce some form of Trample damage in future expansions to account for Area of Effect spells and such, perhaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:
I'm sure that WOWTCG will introduce some form of Trample damage in future expansions to account for Area of Effect spells and such, perhaps.

Yeah, lots of cool things they can do. Besides AoE spells, mounts that can trample. Ogre's with large clubs that hit multiple opponents, pretty limitless options.

Now if only I could find this at a store. Hopefully over lunch my FLGS will have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! My local comic shop (CT) got their shipment yesterday morning. I walked in and asked if they had the game, and they said they hadn't opened the boxes yet.

After buying a couple of starters and boosters, they asked me to open them so they could see what the game looks like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Murray
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve you're missing a important aspect of the rules when dealing with combat. When you are the attacker...you choose which hero or ally to attack with. You then ALSO choose which hero or ally will be defending. ie... My hero attacks your 1/3 ally. Therefore all damage is done to both involved parties only unless something on the card says otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Norcott
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riley341 wrote:
Steve you're missing a important aspect of the rules when dealing with combat. When you are the attacker...you choose which hero or ally to attack with. You then ALSO choose which hero or ally will be defending. ie... My hero attacks your 1/3 ally. Therefore all damage is done to both involved parties only unless something on the card says otherwise.

This = true. The defender also only gets to choose which creature defends if he has protector on his card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.