BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Stores to visit at PAX East? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Gabrynowicz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Pax east is a few weeks away and I will be attending but I will also have a few days before and after the event in Boston. Can anyone recommend any gaming or comic shops that I have to visit while I'm up in the Boston area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
The main FLGS in the general area is Myriad Games, but that's in Salem, NH or Manchester, NH (about an hour away). Both stores have a good selection of games. If you're looking just in the Boston area, you could look at either

Games People Play - Cambridge
http://www.thegamespeopleplaycambridge.com/

Complete Strategist - Boston
http://www.thecompleatstrategist.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist (Boston) is your best bet. It is small and relatively unorganized but I have found many OOP games there at MSRP...and not a penny less.

The Games People Play (Cambridge) has a OK selection and most of the time has a clearance table that can range from great to ho-hum.

Pandemonium (Cambridge) has a HUGE playing space downstairs mostly filled with MtG. Their board game selection includes most of the popular titles you've heard of.

JP Comics and Games (Jamaica Plain) is another small store with a lot crammed into it and you MAY find something unusual but again, most of the popular titles abound. (Also, the Samuel Adams Brewery is right around the corner and does free tours and tastings.)

All the other stores you find on Google you can probably skip.

EDIT: To reiterate what Kevin said above me, Myriad Games in NH is BY FAR the game store of choice in the area. If you have a car it is well worth the trip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the two above covered the stores in the city that I know of. It's worth mentioning, though, that most of them will probably have decent sized displays at PAX itself - and some offer a little discount at the con. Pretty sure Compleat, GPP and Pandemonium all had booths the last couple years.

Just a heads up so you don't spend too much of your gaming budget before PAX East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Brownsmith
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amorphis1 wrote:
Pax east is a few weeks away and I will be attending but I will also have a few days before and after the event in Boston. Can anyone recommend any gaming or comic shops that I have to visit while I'm up in the Boston area?

As for Comic Shops:

I'm a fan of Million Year Picnic in Harvard Square (Cambridge, MA -- Subway, red line) -- it is a small, densely packed shop but I've always found the staff helpful and the selection to be first rate -- although, I've never been a huge comic buyer, I've been shopping there for the past 15 years (and for the prior decade, my brother -- who does read around 50 titles a month -- was a regular).

Comicazi in Davis Square (Somerville, MA -- Subway, red line) is much newer, but has always had a good selection and much more elbow room. Hub Comics in Union Square ((Cambridge, MA -- Buses from Porter Square, Davis Square, Lechemere, and probably others) is less convenient via public transit, but I've always liked the place.

New England Comics, in Harvard Square and other places in the area that aren't nearly as convenient to me, is a small, local comic shop chain, and worth a stop.

Newbury Comics (Many locations) -- despite its name -- is not (any longer) a comics shop. They have some, but mostly they're a Music/Video/Modern kitch shop.

(If you've got a good 4-5 hours, and want to hit my usual stomping grounds for games and comics: take the T to Central Square (Red Line), go to Pandemonium, walk up Mass Ave to Harvard Square, stopping at Games People Play along the way, and stop at Million Year Picnic and New England Comics. Hop on the Red line up to Davis, hit Comicazi, take the 78 bus towards Lechemere, hop off in Union Square for Hub Comics, and back onto the 78 to Lechemere (Green Line). Well, assuming the public transit system is at all functional by PAX East.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marphod wrote:
... assuming the public transit system is at all functional by PAX East.)

HA! It's funny cuz it's true. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing is, there's a good amount of vendors in the board game area as well. You might be able to pick some stuff up there, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The selection for purchase at PAX itself is as good and better than the local stores in Boston. None of them are really close to the convention center, nor are they amazing, friendly, or particularly inexpensive. Pandemonium is solid if you are looking for MTG players.

The Compleat Strategist, for example, not only has a BETTER selection at thier Pax booth than normally found at thier little shop, but it's the friendliest you will ever find their staff.

If you are in town early I'd look at the PAX East forums for the preparties,bar crawls, dinners,game nights and the magical mystery tour to see what might interest you.

I particularly recommend the small-but-friendly game night at JJ Folleys bar in Downtown Crossing on the Tuesday before the con. And definitely the Thursday Pre-pax Game night at the Westin (the hotel connected to the convention hall).

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.