Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was excited to see this until the sample scenario was posted. It looks heavily random, and way oversimplified. This is typical of cryptozoic as they try to make all their stuff appeal to the lowest common denominator. And that's fine for most games.

But this is a miniature game, which I generally expect more from. It's too bad they can't do s beginner and advanced game.

I'll probably pick it up on clearance to use the miniatures in customized galaxy defenders scenarios. If you think about it, it is so easy to port the ghost busters theme into the GD mechanics. Anyone want to do that now?

Time to Ra! Ra! response from Jack SweeK, CZE volunteer,... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you find a sample scenario? If you mean the rules primer, I don't think you can tell how the game plays simply from that. It doesn't cover all the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Where did you find a sample scenario? If you mean the rules primer, I don't think you can tell how the game plays simply from that. It doesn't cover all the rules.

I'm sure it doesn't, but it doesn't leave a ton of room for more innovative rules either. But hey, I'm more than willing to be proved wrong by CZE when they release the full rules in all their glory. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
Erratik wrote:

I'm sure it doesn't, but it doesn't leave a ton of room for more innovative rules either. But hey, I'm more than willing to be proved wrong by CZE when they release the full rules in all their glory. laugh

You seem to really dislike Cryptozoic. Why waste your time on this forum if you think the game will be garbage? You seem to want to troll people who are interested in the game. What gives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
Erratik wrote:

You seem to really dislike Cryptozoic. Why waste your time on this forum if you think the game will be garbage? You seem to want to troll people who are interested in the game. What gives?

you seem to make assumptions with no proof
You seem to like pointing fingers.
You seem to use words that get you moderated.

What gives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
Erratik wrote:

What gives?

Moderated? LOL! For what? Calling you out for trolling? Good luck with the rest of your life buddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
Erratik wrote:

What gives?

Moderated? LOL! For what? Calling you out for trolling? Good luck with the rest of your life buddy.

He's right, though. Accusing someone of trolling is a rules violation, and it will get you moderated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Insert criticism of boardgame funding on Kickstarter or criticism of the critic criticizing boardgame funding on KS here]
If the OP wants to hate-follow this BGG entry or the Kickstarter campaign, that's totally his prerogative.

Every KS campaign discussed on BGG has a thread or opinion that so mirrors this one that there should be MadLib templates pinned to the top of each entry's message threads.

Because every KS campaign that's ever been discussed on BGG has a lone wolf, cadre, or legion of opposition to a particular game being funded for not being what they want.

And then other posters take the bait and the ping-pong game begins.

Opinions are like something something - everyone has one. And as with every entry in this subgenre of message posting, no one is forcing anyone to fund the games, and no one is forcing anyone to read the threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
Erratik wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:
Erratik wrote:

What gives?

He's not trolling. He just has an opinion that doesn't align with yours and you can't seem to deal with that.

I very much welcome people trying to warn others of poorly made games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
So I was excited to see this until the sample scenario was posted.

Where was this posted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obvioulsy you don't see the same thing I do in this Kickstarter. They lead off with a great license and cool miniatures. Then they release this cobbled together rules primer which looks very simplistic. Then when people question it, a volunteer comes on and answers every negative thread (except this one) with detailed analysis of how this will be a cool game.

Too me thats starting to look like a pig in a poke.

I am very jaded at these miniature kickstarters these days. They are absolutely about one thing and one thing only, getting more money. As has already been pointed out, this happens every time. Only the counterpoint to that statement is that for everyone like me, there are ten others like the people on this thread accusing us of being trolls and haters. They make sweeping assumptions about people like me and escalate the situation to crazy proportions.

You don't like my thoughts and opinions, fine. Be polite about it. Don't just act immature and dismissive. Because what you are saying with your accusations and insinuations is that you can't handle anyone disagreeing with your view. So who is really the hater?

CZE makes simple games. How do I know this? I own or have owned a number of them. There is nothing wrong with that. Howevere, I don't like the, "let's get everyone to back a mediocre game because we have the bling," approach. Too many of these big kickstarters fade into oblivion in the end.

So here's the deal, anybody using kickstarter is getting money with no interest rate. But they have to pay for that money by previewing the game and risking criticism. That's a miniscule price to pay when you think about it.

I stand by what I said, until full rules are released showing that there is a real game here, I will continue to wonder whether there is really a pig in that bag or an alley cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

Where was this posted?

In the updates on the Kickstarter page - update 3 or 4, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yokiboy wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

Where was this posted?

It's in the rules primer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forum Rules Reminder:

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
Yokiboy wrote:
Smilinbrax wrote:

Where was this posted?

It's in the rules primer.

I was very interested in this game til I saw the rules primer. To me it felt like a tremendous let down in game play, with all the climax of the yule log channel.

This is as simplistic as many of the dungeon crawls currently available. They all have cool minis, but this one comes with a very steep price tag and I would argue that for the price, it does not deliver nearly enough depth and replayability that would entice me to pay for it. As stated above, there is not much room for a more in-depth game unless you redid the rules entirely and just used the game pieces. I am more than skeptical on this and have decided not to pledge it because for the price it will not deliver what I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otto von Whackjob
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My concern is the relationship/affiliation with IDW. I LOVE IDW comics but I think the last game IDW (not CZE) made was Kill Shakespeare. Apparently, that game had TERRIBLE components. I hope that the CZE affiliation for this game is not simply a stamp on a poorly made IDW game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Component wise this looks to be absolutely amazing, but game play quality appears to take a major hit. I need both to be excited, but if I had to pick one, I would take game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Yamaguchi
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Otto von Whackjob wrote:
My concern is the relationship/affiliation with IDW. I LOVE IDW comics but I think the last game IDW (not CZE) made was Kill Shakespeare. Apparently, that game had TERRIBLE components. I hope that the CZE affiliation for this game is not simply a stamp on a poorly made IDW game.

This game is being made by Cryptozoic not IDW. It's just using art references and content from IDW's comic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike damren
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think based on the rules primer it does look pretty simple but reading the comments from the creater on the kickstarter I think there is more depth than most realize but that being said I am going to back anyway because the miniatures and game boards are awesome and I can always house rule the thing to death until it is the exact Ghostbusters game I always wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sweek

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
Time to Ra! Ra! response from Jack SweeK, CZE volunteer,... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
Interesting that I get called out not even by forum name but directly by my name, although to be fair it is listed above the actual forum name. Although I have previously volunteered/demoed for CZE it does not mean I blindly follow or like everything they have done. I also have volunteered and demoed for Cool Mini or Not, Catalyst Games, IELLO Games, Wizards of the Coast, and Renegade Game Studio. It is how I can actually go to game conventions as traditionally the expenses would be too great.

Smilinbrax wrote:
Then when people question it, a volunteer comes on and answers every negative thread (except this one) with detailed analysis of how this will be a cool game.
Smilinbrax wrote:
I am very jaded at these miniature kickstarters these days.
Smilinbrax wrote:
Don't just act immature and dismissive. Because what you are saying with your accusations and insinuations is that you can't handle anyone disagreeing with your view.
Smilinbrax wrote:
There is nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion. You also seem to have already pointed fingers, made an assumption that somehow my previously demoing CZE games somehow makes my opinion unvalidated. You are correct that I posted in a lot of the threads, not every thread, since it's evident that not everyone reads all the threads, many people make their own new thread. It has nothing to do with volunteer work that I have previously done but I actually am passionate about Ghostbusters and liked playing what I have so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sweek

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
So I was excited to see this until the sample scenario was posted. It looks heavily random, and way oversimplified. This is typical of cryptozoic as they try to make all their stuff appeal to the lowest common denominator. And that's fine for most games.
You are correct that a lot of the games CZE has are simplified however they are supposed to be entry level games into gaming. The target audience isn't necessarily existing board gamers, although some do enjoy their products. The target is fans and casual gamers to bring them into gaming. Just like Space Hulk itself is a gateway into miniature gaming and many people who started playing miniatures started with Space Hulk.I wouldn't say casual players are the lowest common denominator since conventions have more fans that attend than actual gamers. Now if only there were games that could attract fans of franchises, not be heavily complicated but could be a gateway to gaming and playing other games...

Honestly I never expect any game based on an existing IP to be good, they are designed to be about marketing plain and simple. There are too many factors that go into the creation that aren't necessarily about good gaming. Depending on the licenses and agreements, there tend to be certain restrictions whenever you involve making a game based on an IP. Just look at Prodos and Alien vs Predators for probably the worst outcome that happens from it. A lot of times companies require certain features and mechanics built into a game, it doesn't matter if it makes the game fun or not.

Smilinbrax wrote:
But this is a miniature game, which I generally expect more from. It's too bad they can't do s beginner and advanced game.
I don't really consider this a miniatures game in my opinion. I play Malifaux, WH40K, Infinity and Wild West Exodus which are miniatures games. This is a board game with miniatures, the same way I view Rum and Bones, Zombicide and Super Dungeon Explorer.

Yes the game is fairly simple, it doesn't necessarily make it bad. If you find Zombicide and Rum and Bones too simple, then this probably won't be the game for you at all. At the base it is simple but there are some interesting mechanics that I find make it a bit more complex than Zombicide.

The best part of it all, its a board game. There probably isn't a board game on BGG that doesn't have someone who created new rules, advanced rules or mods for them. That is the best part of it being a board game, it being simple and the community from BGG to Dakka Dakka. It isn't over-complicated that making additions suddenly changes how it plays making it harder to teach others. We've started to modify Ghostbusters to play on miniature terrain, recycling my Infinty terrain and completely remove the need for the game board. So instead of playing on tiles, we're playing with actual terrain and buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkSeverance wrote:

Yes the game is fairly simple, it doesn't necessarily make it bad.

This is really pricey for an entry level game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Sweek

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
There is definitely no denying that, unfortunately that happens because of the IP. Imperial Assault is probably the closest to an IP of this nature with a MSRP of $99.99, can usually find as low as $74 online.

Other games in the similar category would include:
Zombicide 3: MSRP $99.99, online retailers $79.99.
Myth: MSRP $90.00 online retailers $67.50 but unfortunately you really need to buy more miniatures to play it to its full potential.
Arcadia Quest: MSRP $79.99, online retailers $79.99
Super Dungeon Explorer: MSRP $99.99, online retailers $79.99
SDE: Forgotten King: MSRP $100, online retailers $80.00
Koasball: MSRP $99.99, online retailers $79.99

On the flip side you also have games like:
Krosmaster: Arena: MSRP $80, online retailers $56 but could require more purchases.
XCOM: MSRP $59.95, online retailers $41.37

This has nothing to do with Ghostbusters or CZE. CMoN and Mantic who pretty much made their companies based on Kickstarter unfortunately also made it relatively harder for anyone on Kickstarter to do board game miniatures. We can now add Conan to that list as well. I'm just talking as someone who has been part of a couple other KS campaigns where everyone wants free stuff. It isn't necessarily a bad thing but it has changed the dynamics of KS, at least for miniatures games.

My only real concern for the Ghostbusters KS isn't so much of getting lots of free stuff. My concern is with how many Kickstarter Exclusives there are. It hasn't been answered on what is defined at KS Exclusive yet. If it is something they sell at Conventions, then it isn't so bad. If they plan to release all the miniatures, but in a alternate sculpt then everything will make better sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkSeverance wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
There is definitely no denying that, unfortunately that happens because of the IP. Imperial Assault is probably the closest to an IP of this nature with a MSRP of $99.99, can usually find as low as $74 online.

Other games in the similar category would include:
Zombicide 3: MSRP $99.99, online retailers $79.99.
Myth: MSRP $90.00 online retailers $67.50 but unfortunately you really need to buy more miniatures to play it to its full potential.
Arcadia Quest: MSRP $79.99, online retailers $79.99
Super Dungeon Explorer: MSRP $99.99, online retailers $79.99
SDE: Forgotten King: MSRP $100, online retailers $80.00
Koasball: MSRP $99.99, online retailers $79.99

On the flip side you also have games like:
Krosmaster: Arena: MSRP $80, online retailers $56 but could require more purchases.
XCOM: MSRP $59.95, online retailers $41.37

This has nothing to do with Ghostbusters or CZE. CMoN and Mantic who pretty much made their companies based on Kickstarter unfortunately also made it relatively harder for anyone on Kickstarter to do board game miniatures. We can now add Conan to that list as well. I'm just talking as someone who has been part of a couple other KS campaigns where everyone wants free stuff. It isn't necessarily a bad thing but it has changed the dynamics of KS, at least for miniatures games.

My only real concern for the Ghostbusters KS isn't so much of getting lots of free stuff. My concern is with how many Kickstarter Exclusives there are. It hasn't been answered on what is defined at KS Exclusive yet. If it is something they sell at Conventions, then it isn't so bad. If they plan to release all the miniatures, but in a alternate sculpt then everything will make better sense.

Well, you just made my point for me, Every game you list there is more complex than Ghosbusters is shown to be. You get more meat for your money. Now at least one of those was also unplayable out of the box, which also make me leery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elwyn Chow
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Mabuchi wrote:
Component wise this looks to be absolutely amazing, but game play quality appears to take a major hit. I need both to be excited, but if I had to pick one, I would take game play.

I disagree. The components are meh. They chose a new art style and the Ghostbusters are unrecognizable to their real life screen counter parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.