Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The Basics

Los Luchadores is a two-player card driven wrestling game where each player takes on the role of a Mexican wrestler, known as a luchador. There are elements of card driven fighting, deck building, and simultaneous action selection.

There are two types of combat that players can experience: close quarters, where the strongest luchador rules or seperated where the fastest luchador is king.

As the game progresses, the moves that the luchadores demonstrate become more and more devastating. The winner is the first player that is able to pin or make the other submit.

The Theme

Growing up as a kid, I loved professional wrestling and was especially a huge fan of the wrestlers that had the wildest gimmicks. While there were no luchadores that I particularly followed, the idea of an entire culture of gladiatorial combat where masked men put on personas that represented their cultures and traditions really appealed to me.

The Mechanics

Los Luchadores uses a combination of mechanics that I've been toying around with for a while. Sitting down to come up with a submission for the 2-player PNP, I found myself generating more and more good ideas, from the over/under initiative mechanic of the card speed values being different depending on whether the opponents were sharing the same hex or adjacent, to the simultaneous action selection, to using the cards not only as the moves from which the players may draw but also their stamina.

Los Luchadores will be the culmination of all the elements I love from my favorite games and I hope it'll allow players to have a fun time.

Artwork

My goal is to have very stylized artwork, remiscient of old 1960s luchador promotional posters like this:

I will do a lot of the art myself using PSP.

Components

So far, I've got the following mapped out (this is just enough to allow a player to play a single game):

12 red dice
12 blue dice
2 decks of 20 basic move cards
2 groups of 5 specialized special move cards
2 wrestler/stance cards
2 fresh pool cards
2 gimmicks
10 ring event cards

Basic Gameplay

Each player starts with a hand of 5 cards and has a pool of 12 dice. The dice represent the player's power/ability to perform moves, stamina, and health. The hand of cards are the various moves that the player's wrestler will perform. Each will cause damage (which will cause the wrestler's opponent to subtract dice from their dice pool) and have a certain amount of skill that will be necessary to roll. The player will have to bid 1, 2, or 3 dice to perform the move. The more dice they spend on individual moves, the faster their stamina runs out, but if they fail their roll, the defender could block, or counter, taking control of the match.

Play continues until the match clock runs out or a wrestler is pinned.

Aspirations

One major thing that I want to include in Los Luchadores is a campaign system that will allow players to run a promotion. I'm a huge Blood Bowl fan, and I love how in BB you can create a campaign where your players keep getting better. I want to do the same with Los Luchadores.

Also, I hope to get it up on the Game Crafter, so people can produce not only PNP versions, but professional versions as well.

Finally, if this thing really takes off, I'd love to get some nice miniatures made representing the wrestlers.

Conclusion

Thanks for reading and hopefully I'll get this thing up and running for playtesting very soon! Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
evadimus wrote:
Just submitted my entry for Los Luchadores.

Check it out here: Los Luchadores

Just finished up a prototype for the game on The Game Crafter. I'm pretty excited about this game, too. I've trimmed down a lot of unnecessary items and added some great elements for flavor and replayability such as gimmicks and random ring events.

The prototype consists of 24 dice and 72 cards. I should have the prototype here by next week. I've managed to keep most of the art pretty simple as I've found my designs in the past have been slowed down by needless over-designing.

Here's a couple images of what I've got brewing...

From top left clockwise: Armbar move card, Hardcore (Heel Side) gimmick, Crowd Roars! event card, and a Fresh Dice Pool card.

Remember... the art is very rough on purpose. As I get the game tweaked, more will come. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamrick
United States
Moore
OK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.henceforthgame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
evadimus wrote:
evadimus wrote:
Just submitted my entry for Los Luchadores.

Check it out here: Los Luchadores

Just finished up a prototype for the game on The Game Crafter. I'm pretty excited about this game, too. I've trimmed down a lot of unnecessary items and added some great elements for flavor and replayability such as gimmicks and random ring events.

The prototype consists of 24 dice and 72 cards. I should have the prototype here by next week. I've managed to keep most of the art pretty simple as I've found my designs in the past have been slowed down by needless over-designing.

Here's a couple images of what I've got brewing...

From top left clockwise: Armbar move card, Hardcore (Heel Side) gimmick, Crowd Roars! event card, and a Fresh Dice Pool card.

Remember... the art is very rough on purpose. As I get the game tweaked, more will come. ninja

Just got my copy from The Game Crafter and I've got to say...

I LOVE IT. It plays almost exactly like I want it to, and it's help me figure out a few tweaks I've got to make to help it flow a little better, but otherwise it sure is neat.

I've only played the game solo so far (playing both wrestlers myself), and it seems balanced enough. The first match was a Giant vs a Patriotic wrestler. The Giant ended up crushing the patriot pretty handily. The second match I ended early, but it was a Hardcore style wrestler versus a Superstar. Both were pretty evenly matched, but the Hardcore style wrestler was dealing some sneaky damage.

Stay posted for rules and PnP cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.