Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen Van Hecke
Belgium
Lovendegem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The action of terraforming reads:
Add this card to a planet as 2 colonies. If that fulfills the printed Colonize cost, Settle that planet.

Assume you play this card as an action and you put it under a planet which requires 4 colonies. It is the first card you add to the planet, however you already have several colony cards under your colony ship. Does this count as fulfilling the cost for that planet? So can you immediately settle that planet by taking two additional colonies from the colony ship?

I already understand that you can redistribute the cards before settling, but I am not sure that it is possible to settle in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikahert wrote:
The action of terraforming reads:
Add this card to a planet as 2 colonies. If that fulfills the printed Colonize cost, Settle that planet.

Assume you play this card as an action and you put it under a planet which requires 4 colonies. It is the first card you add to the planet, however you already have several colony cards under your colony ship. Does this count as fulfilling the cost for that planet? So can you immediately settle that planet by taking two additional colonies from the colony ship?

I already understand that you can redistribute the cards before settling, but I am not sure that it is possible to settle in this case.

Good question! I don't think this one has come up, but it definitely needs an answer...

The intent is that the Colonies on Colony Ship are basically on ANY of your planets, maybe Colony Ship should have said "you may move Colonies from Colony Ship to any planet at any time" or something like that... So you can put them ON colony ship whenever you're tucking planets, and you can move them off Colony Ship freely.

That said, you CAN combo Terraforming and Colony Ship in the way you describe... shuttling colonies from the Colony Ship in order to make the Terraforming action "fulfill the Colonize cost."

Thanks for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Wöhrl
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hey
Theres one question about Terraforming that still confuses me alot.

It looks like I have the second print of the base game, the Cards and board are already their corrected versions.
In the manual there is no seperate section about "Terraforming". Terraforming itself says ..."if that fulfills the printed cost..."

Now we threw Escalation into the mix and thats where the confusion starts.
In the Escalation manual it is mentioned in the errata section that Terraforming may be used in conjunction with Colony symbols on Planets and permanent Techs.

Especially in combination with Colony Ship this seems really strong, if not too strong.

My question is: Is it really meant to be that way?
Does the errata for Terraforming count in general or only if we play Escalation?

What was your reason Seth, to change it that way, because as far as I know the very first print of Terraforming didnt have the "printed cost" text on the card.

Pleas help me out Thx in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaintedCow wrote:

Hey
Theres one question about Terraforming that still confuses me alot.

It looks like I have the second print of the base game, the Cards and board are already their corrected versions.
In the manual there is no seperate section about "Terraforming". Terraforming itself says ..."if that fulfills the printed cost..."

Now we threw Escalation into the mix and thats where the confusion starts.
In the Escalation manual it is mentioned in the errata section that Terraforming may be used in conjunction with Colony symbols on Planets and permanent Techs.

Especially in combination with Colony Ship this seems really strong, if not too strong.

My question is: Is it really meant to be that way?
Does the errata for Terraforming count in general or only if we play Escalation?

What was your reason Seth, to change it that way, because as far as I know the very first print of Terraforming didnt have the "printed cost" text on the card.

Pleas help me out Thx in advance

I had originally feared that Terraforming would be too strong if you were able to combine it with Colonize icons, so I specifically disallowed that in the original release. It turned out that by the time the game was in its final form, my fear was not justified, so I decided to remove that restriction/exception and issued the errata.

That's the story, nothing too interesting there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.