Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategic Surprise Scenario

Only limited intervention by Western Allies (lvl2)

This is my third attempt at this lovely game with the advanced rules. The first two were learning exercises, with horribly botched landings… Needless to say, I learnt a lot, and am now looking forward to really give this a go…BUT: please don't expect me to get every rule right; I am sure I have made my shar of mistakes...

I will play with almost all optional rules and units. Particularly the PRC stealth aircraft should make the air battles interesting, though the US get an armada of strategic bombers as toys as well. The only rule big left out is the Budget cut rule that changes the master reinforcement schedule. The reason is, that I intentionally set the intervention level for the US and JP at two (so ground forces cannot intervene anyway) – would be a shame to miss out on those toys and parts of the game. So let’s see how this goes.

GT1

The PRC starts hostilities with a strong salvo of Cruise Missiles (CM), destroying one airbase on Taiwan outright, and damaging two more with strike1 markers. Only a handful of F16s however were destroyed on the ground.

Two waves of Special Ops Teams raid radar stations all along the coast to degrade the crucial detection abilities of the ROC defense battlenetwork. Numerous stations go up in flames (Det down to 2), and all SOF teams make it home safely.

Given the surprise, and the lack of readiness for the airbattles, the ROC elects not to contest the skies with only half their forces ready for battle, but hopes to fight united from next turn onwards, with whatever is left…
Not slow to use this early air control to the maximum, strikes are flown against airbases all over Taiwan, and further CM are launched and are raining down on airfields and airbases. Three more airbases are destroyed, but by miracle, yet again only a hand full of Mirage fighters are destroyed on the ground.
Strikes are also targeting the one ROC SAG lurking offshore, while the other rests in the safety of the east coast ports.
A number of hits are scored (strike 2), and instead of facing certain annihilation in a naval battle to delay the landing by a phase, the ROC warships retreat to port to fight another day…

Aided by the use of several area denial weapons, the PRC achieve control of the waters around Taiwan in preparation for the actual landings.

Things however soon are starting not to go as planned anymore. A stream of transport planes carrying the 43rd AB Div en route to the island is detected by one of the last few operating radar stations, and heavy SAM and AAA fire turns back this initial wave of invaders.

As primary landing site the beach just south of Tainan is chosen. The reasons are several:
A) the easily accessible port, that can be taken in the initial wave
B) Tainan, and the river inland provide a good defensive position to defend the bridgehead against the inevitable counterattack.
C) The city complex to the south can be cut off, and subsequently be taken for further ports with only a single ROC corps in defense.

The beach landing proceeds uneventfully, and the invaders rapidly advance a few kilometers inlands, overrunning a ROC regiment on the way. Yet again, a second attempt at landing the 43rd AB fails, with only a single regiment being dropped as the others are turned back by SAM fire.

ROC forces quickly are trying to rush to the landing site, and are trying to contain the bridgehead. Tainan gets reinforced, the northern riverline manned, and the defenders in the south are trying to hem in the tide of PRC forces. Given the still pending further para drops, they need to be careful though not to expose their backfield too much.

GT1 after expoint phase

In the main movement and combat phase, eventually the bulk of the 43rd AB Div makes it to Taiwan, but they suffer significant losses in their drop (two 9s rolled for two step losses!).
Tainan gets attacked by airborne and Marine forces with significant naval and air support (at 4:1, -4drm). Only 2 CS and of course HQ support make it through the ROC air defenses, though defending AH-64 helicopters don’t fare much better (1CS also aborts).
The defenders however are tough tankers, and hold firm (result -/1R, ER passed). Tainan holds steady against the first attack – for now.

The PRC however immediately renew their attacks, and on the second attempt the defenders are wiped out, and Tainan is entered by PRC troops, now engaging in street to street fighting and clearing operations.

The ROC launches an immediate counterattack, and aims to drive an armoured wedge into the PRC lodging on the island. The counterattack (2:1, +0 drm) however fails with significant losses on both sides (2/1). At least the occupied port on the beach is back in a ZOC.

As things settle down after the initial phase, the PRC have secured a bridgehead on the island. Not all airborne forces are committed yet, with one division still in reserve (well, the transport planes got turned back so often than not enough time was available to fly all three divisions in…). The port on the beaches is secured, but clearing operations in Tainan and Nanzil are ongoing.

Both sides have reasons to celebrate, and losses to mourn, as the world watches the events unfold….

GT1 end

Start due to optional rules:
PRC 56 VP
Allies 28

At the end of GT1:
PRC 75(+19)
Allies 28(+0)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent write up for the start of the scenario! One rule that may have affected the efficiency of your landings is 7.3.6 Naval Unit Stacking. Only having one naval marker in a hex will restrict the number of Amphibs you're able to get to the beach in any given turn. In this case, it looks like it'd only be a small impact on your current board state.

Looks like the PRC has a good foothold! Keep us posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your are right; I only realised this towards the end of GT4, with a big naval battle looming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Maidhof
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Allied naval units are "left"? I have found the "pesky" ROC Naval units gumming up the Taiwan Straits thereby delaying the PLAN amphibious assaults into Turn 2 in my Strategic Surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Reschreiter
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One ROC SAG started in port, on in the Inshore box. In turn 1, in the strike phase, the one at sea took a strike2, and retreated to port, waiting it out there until the JP SAG is ready, and the air battles start to get more favourable. Fleet in being waiting to pounce instead of a quick death for a small delay. The aim is to bite off the head of the snake at some time, instead of getting killed now for a small delay only. No idea if this is the right strategy, but I thought one worth trying.

Stay tuned, the events will slowly unfold. I am in the middle of turn 5, but haven't had time to write things up. The next instalment will come tomorrow. Things are getting very interesting and 'tight'....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.