Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Kessels (e-mail behgez@gmail.com)
Netherlands
Bussum, The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have uploaded the most recent update of the reference guide here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104541/terra-mystica-stra...

Recently, there have been quite a lot of discussions, analysis, statistics and many opinions about TM strategies, openings, faction-selection, tiles, etc. Also some great tools that help to analyze data have been introduced, which is great! The first version of the sheet was published last June, but last few weeks I have been going through many games to update it. I tried to incorporate all the data and analysis that was done in other posts, or at least validate the finding (which is difficult as there are many opinions).

Anyway:
- I downloaded all games from the top 75 players on Snellman (Juho, no worries, I just copied the finished games overview from the user profiles)
- I downloaded all games from other players who have a listed highscore for a 3, 4 or 5 player game.
- Then I removed all games scoring below 130 points.
- The remaining >6000 games have been scrubbed (for new factions, new end-game scoring, remove 2p games, etc.) and analyzed further.
- The top 30-50 scrubbed games for each faction (depending on the faction, there is more or less data available; e.g. Darklings versus Fakirs) have been analyzed in-depth and the results have been updated in the sheet.
- I used Limaz' Chrome plugin quite a lot to replay all these games. That is such a great tool and help!
- I then tried to validate it against other sources and posts (thanks to forum contributions and feedback from people like (in random order) Redward, Thrar, rpmcconnell, Petri, DocCool, Prodigaldax, Limaz, jsnell, robinz, croloris, allstar64, Fluxx and everyone else who contributes to this great community.)!

It will never be perfect, neither do I think it can be. In addition, being just a league 4 player myself, I don't have the illusion I know all the answers. I just tried to compile the facts available. The best thing I learned myself is 'how to read the game'; anticipate what is coming while planning ahead. That improved my gameplay significantly. It is amazing to see everything falling together in games by the top-players (we all know who they are). They plan several rounds ahead and use sometimes completely different routes to victory. I cannot recommend enough to replay some of these games, just for learning purposes. I have learned that no strategy guide or statistical analysis will give all the answers (not that that was the intention and that is what makes TM such a great game), but it can help the not so advanced players to ask the right questions before making a move.

I didn't find there was enough data yet on the new factions and boards. And I'm tired of looking at this data for weeks now, so it will have to wait In addition, with more data and tools available, there will be more finetuning to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is what I was hoping to accomplish this very thing here (clicky) and here (clicky click) but this looks way better than anything I was going to be able to accomplish.

Well Done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
msg tools
Would you consider releasing a new version of the document? I'd be really curious to see what has changed in the past year. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kessels (e-mail behgez@gmail.com)
Netherlands
Bussum, The Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think too much changed in the last year for the base game. Next update would be to add F&I, but the variables explode with that expansion, so without sophisticated dataset for analysis this turns out to be very difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.