Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

The VP system in Ancients has always been my only niggle with the system in general -- that is, in determining who 'won' an encounter. It just seems too broad-brush for my tastes.

I bring this up because I played Agincourt yesterday, and the French won by VPs (2-1) despite taking easily 10x the losses the English did -- and the French still had panicking units at the end of the battle. The woods tied their fleeing archers up, meaning that the French Leader was able to rally 2 of them in the last 2 turns of the game, even though they were completely useless in the woods and out of range. I'm not looking for a historically accurate simulation out of this game, but this just seems a glaring deficiency in my favorite tactical game out there

Using the rules as written, you have 3 possible VPs on each side:

- 1 VP for capturing the enemy camp
- 1 VP for making the enemy army panic
- 1 VP for having twice as much power on the map at the end of the battle

Hmm...

Perhaps the first army that panics loses? That would have actually made the English lose in the Agincourt scenario! But only by a half-turn. And again, the heavy French losses just don't play well with that.

Perhaps a small tweak would be better?

How about, in addition to the above, you gain +1 VP for each enemy Leader captured or killed? Would this wildly skew things? It wouldn't have changed the Agincourt results above, though. Hmm.

How about -2 VP if you've lost more than twice the enemy's lost power points? That would have made the Agincourt score above 0 French - 1 English, which feels more accurate.

Has anyone tried other ways of determining victory? Perhaps scenario-specific goals? Or just other ways of assigning victory? How did it work out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tweakston
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've made numerous small tweaks to this game enough to call the variation my own invention. Its been fun to design and play. But, I still appreciate this game in its original form for its simplicity and over-arching breadth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.