1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Somebody please make a Thundercats board game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many licenses that I'd love to see a quality board game made from - but the highest among my priority list would have to be Thundercats. It was easily my favorite show as a kid, and then it was re-aired in my teenage years on cartoon network. It was rebooted a few years ago, but that reboot didn't do well - and rightly so, they changed too much stuff and it didn't even feel like Thundercats. I want an old school Thundercats game - even more than I want a quality Star Trek game!

Ideally I'd like a game with miniatures that plays as a single session. Perhaps something like Wiz War, that can play 2 players just fine, but plays multiple players easily as well. I suppose they could also make a deck builder out of it as well.

I picture a board with hexes. One one end you have the Cat's Lair, in another you have MumRa's Pyramid. It would play something like an area control game, but each game woudl be different because there would be objective cards that come up. Some of the hexes on the board would be generic forrest, or desert etc., but some would be iconic places from teh show, like the Berbil Village, or that big Volcano that Liono reforged the Sword of Omens in.
Each player picks one mini and gets a deck to go with that mini. If you pick Liono, you might have cards such as "Sight beyond sight" that lets you look at another player's hand, or to call the thundercats, which allows all thundercats to jump to within one hex of you. Panthro would be the strongest, Cheetara the fastest, Tigra coudl go invisible, giving him a stealth ability, and if you pick Wily Kit and Wily Kat, you get to control BOTH of them as one player. Sure they are weaker, but you get 2 moves, 2 actions, 2 attacks, so that helps make up for the weakness.
Then an expansion coudl have Pumira, Lynxo, and Bengali. Maybe even include notable allies, such as the Snowman with SnowMeow, Willa - and for a real challenge, you can play as Snarf himself!!!! (Snarf would be the equivalent of heavy difficulty - but would have some cool cards that make him a really fun character).

Bad guys would be MumRa - who can transform for a turn and become the most powerful, but can only do it like once every other turn. Slythe, who has moderate strength, but also leadership, so better for multiplayer (Gives boosts to allied mutants). Monkean who is agile and strong, Jackalman who is clever, and Vultureman who flies over obstacles. Expansions could include the Lunatacs. Other possible bad guys could be Hammerhand, The Diamond Driller, Grune the Destroyer, etc.

Geesh I wish someone would make a game like this. There is just so much out there already, the game practically writes itself!

- And if they make it a deckbuilder - they coudl totally make a separate but compatible game - "Silverhawks!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voltron first, buddy!

Pete (sees a nice coop game there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Voltron would make for an awesome co-op, but imagien if you only had 4 players! You'd have a 1-armed Voltron!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you had six players, you could have Sven and Princess Allura fight over who gets to be the right leg.

Pete (now promises to stop hijacking the thread)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt Thundercats has enough cache to work.

Still, throw it up on Kickstarter and see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to go back and re-watch Thundercats to have an opinion. All I remember of the show when I was a kid is that I did not really like it.

Pete (might appreciate it more now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
plezercruz wrote:
Voltron first, buddy!

Lol, Voltron.

Form feet and legs! Form arms and body! And I'll form the head! I would probably play that game. As long as it was the lions not the cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
- And if they make it a deckbuilder - they coudl totally make a separate but compatible game - "Silverhawks!"

A deckbuilder that is partly metal, partly real? Color me intrigued...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Monsterpocalypse: Voltron – Defender of the Universe Battle Game but it's a 2-player battle game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Crabbok wrote:
There are so many licenses that I'd love to see a quality board game made from - but the highest among my priority list would have to be Thundercats. It was easily my favorite show as a kid, and then it was re-aired in my teenage years on cartoon network. It was rebooted a few years ago, but that reboot didn't do well - and rightly so, they changed too much stuff and it didn't even feel like Thundercats. I want an old school Thundercats game - even more than I want a quality Star Trek game!

Ideally I'd like a game with miniatures that plays as a single session. Perhaps something like Wiz War, that can play 2 players just fine, but plays multiple players easily as well. I suppose they could also make a deck builder out of it as well.

I picture a board with hexes. One one end you have the Cat's Lair, in another you have MumRa's Pyramid. It would play something like an area control game, but each game woudl be different because there would be objective cards that come up. Some of the hexes on the board would be generic forrest, or desert etc., but some would be iconic places from teh show, like the Berbil Village, or that big Volcano that Liono reforged the Sword of Omens in.
Each player picks one mini and gets a deck to go with that mini. If you pick Liono, you might have cards such as "Sight beyond sight" that lets you look at another player's hand, or to call the thundercats, which allows all thundercats to jump to within one hex of you. Panthro would be the strongest, Cheetara the fastest, Tigra coudl go invisible, giving him a stealth ability, and if you pick Wily Kit and Wily Kat, you get to control BOTH of them as one player. Sure they are weaker, but you get 2 moves, 2 actions, 2 attacks, so that helps make up for the weakness.
Then an expansion coudl have Pumira, Lynxo, and Bengali. Maybe even include notable allies, such as the Snowman with SnowMeow, Willa - and for a real challenge, you can play as Snarf himself!!!! (Snarf would be the equivalent of heavy difficulty - but would have some cool cards that make him a really fun character).

Bad guys would be MumRa - who can transform for a turn and become the most powerful, but can only do it like once every other turn. Slythe, who has moderate strength, but also leadership, so better for multiplayer (Gives boosts to allied mutants). Monkean who is agile and strong, Jackalman who is clever, and Vultureman who flies over obstacles. Expansions could include the Lunatacs. Other possible bad guys could be Hammerhand, The Diamond Driller, Grune the Destroyer, etc.

Geesh I wish someone would make a game like this. There is just so much out there already, the game practically writes itself!

Thundercats-themed Heroscape set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mum-RA is still one of my favorite bad guys.

Saw a Thundercats cosplay group at a con last year.

Like the Clix idea. Or DDM style prepainted minis.

Thundercats, hoooooooo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snarf Snarf.....

Snarf wants Snarf wants...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Still, throw it up on Kickstarter and see what happens.

Usually the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that

Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

would be critically interested in a good Thundercats board game.

PS: The 2011 reboot was awesome.

As probably 90% of the people who clicked the thread will feel the overwhelming urge to watch/listen the intro in this moment, let me save you the time: ►Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
InfinityReborn wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Voltron first, buddy!

Lol, Voltron.

Form feet and legs! Form arms and body! And I'll form the head! I would probably play that game. As long as it was the lions not the cars.

Final Attack!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
80sgamer wrote:

Why is Tigra naked on the cover? Is this Thundercats: The Quest for Tigra's Tunic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crabbok wrote:
Why is Tigra naked on the cover? Is this Thundercats: The Quest for Tigra's Tunic?

Remember the pilot episode ? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Atkinson
United States
Grant
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get the stupid song out of my head... "Thunder Thunder Thunder Thundercats!!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, that cartoon with the guy with the ridiculously short sword!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stiltner
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're thinking of the Pirates of Dark Water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stiltr01 wrote:
You're thinking of the Pirates of Dark Water.
Wow, I'm pretty sure nobody was thinking of that.

Pete (sure wasn't)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
80sgamer wrote:

I think this is the one Flip the Table covered in episode 60: http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/episode-60-thund...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
Oh yeah, that cartoon with the guy with the ridiculously short sword!

It gets longer if you wave it just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone did a thundercats retheme of another game, a popular Euro. I can't remember the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.