Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Last Minute Spite Damage (again, another timing question) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we were playing against Spite earlier today and we came across this: Spite popped with his pills and became all big and strong, but the three victims in his Safe House did him 15. He was 16, so only had a point left. The problem is, to damage him (as the last super standing, Expatriette) I had to use my power. From what I can recall I do damage to him first, but his backlash ability from one of his drug cards deals me damage as well "whenever I use". So, did we win against Spite or did we all die with him? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the few golden rules in Sentinels is (print it and put it on your box to remember):

"Nothing happens at simultaneously."

There is always an order of things happening, in this case you used your power, which is used thus deals damage. THEN, the trigger activates and he backlashes at you.

Ergo, you won, but barely.

At least, I think that's the official version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Spiff's excellent collected FAQ

“PL626 Compound XI”
the first paragraph on this card reads “whenever a hero uses
a power, spite deals them 2 toxic damage and that hero’s
player discards the top 5 cards of their deck.” Spite’s damage
and the discard effect are in response to the use of the
power, therefore spite’s effects take place after the power
has been fully resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OH MY GOD WE WON. YAY!

FORUM CLOSED. THANKS GUYS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone loses when they fight Spite, he is THAT boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you draw the Potential Sidekick. He is my son and that alone makes it great fun to play Spite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Unless you draw the Potential Sidekick. He is my son and that alone makes it great fun to play Spite.

You do realize victims can be killed... right?

(Awkwardly walks away)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

You do realize victims can be killed... right?

(Awkwardly walks away)

And, because his ability is so good, we usually leave him out there to fend for himself. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Pell
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's important to note that per the official timing clarifications we have, there is a different rule on how to resolve triggered effects depending on whether the trigger is a card play or a power.

Card play: All triggers resolve BEFORE the card. If you try to Elbow Smash an Informant, the Chairman plays a card before she dies.

Power: All triggers resolve AFTER the power. You can remove Toxic Seaweed with a Bio-Engineering Beam safely.

The latter clarification is in Spiff's FAQ, and the former one probably is too, as it was explicitly stated by Christopher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but in our match he died. First turn. Got in the Safe House then got pulled out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redundancycheck wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but in our match he died. First turn. Got in the Safe House then got pulled out.
Look at the bright side- in few years he'll be back with nifty superpowers and join the team of teen superheroes ^^

By the way, GtG, you guys still need more teen heroes! Young Legacy, Unity and Idealist are a good start, but not enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Redundancycheck wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

He gets that a lot. At least, you put him in the safe house. We often don't even do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Redundancycheck wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

He gets that a lot. At least, you put him in the safe house. We often don't even do that.

We ALWAYS put him in the safe house. It's not always the best play, but anything less seems... unheroic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:
Redundancycheck wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

We ALWAYS put him in the safe house. It's not always the best play, but anything less seems... unheroic.

That's because you don't know him. If you did, I am sure you would have no problem in just leaving him out there. Just tell the villain to be careful what he is wishing for... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Radulla wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:
Redundancycheck wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

That's because you don't know him. If you did, I am sure you would have no problem in just leaving him out there. Just tell the villain to be careful what he is wishing for... laugh

The Incredibles' Syndrome(sp?) comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.