Popular Tags: [View All]
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems fine to me. That would get you some swear words thrown your way in my group, but no one would be actually annoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Potter
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally valid strategy. The only case they have would be if they weren't aware of that rule triggering the end game. Sometimes my group will complain if some obscure rule pops up that ends with a win. They'll allow it, but they'll complain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it's not only clearly legal, but it's perfectly legitimate, obviously intended as a viable way to win, and in practice it's not uncommon. I've never encountered anyone who would complain about such a win.

Your friends are whiners and "dirty losers".

The goal is to win as written in the rules, not to have a "noble win" according to their own personal house rule definition of "noble"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens fairly often in my games (winner powers less than the actual trigger number).

If you had enough money to buy the 31, and the fuel, and 4 more cities, then your opponents didn't bid you up enough, or block you on the map enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
Seems fine to me. That would get you some swear words thrown your way in my group, but no one would be actually annoyed.

Seems to me you tried to pull this at GLG last November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the OP delete his or her post? I'm not seeing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

I was just about to mention that (fellow St. Pete fan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peugeot 206
msg tools
Eric Brosius wrote:

Sorry, my bad. I accidentally did. My original story is that in a 6 player game, near end of step 2, I had 10 cities and I was able to buy the 31 PP (3 coals -> 6 cities) to bring my capacity up to 13 while everyone has around 9-11. So I built 4 more to trigger end game so I'd automatically win without much resistance. While my friends knew it's legal, they're not impressed with the fashion that I won in and I was just wondering if anyone here who uses my strategy a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a matter of fact, in the very first Power Grid final at the World Boardgaming Championships, in 2004, this is how the game ended. The winner built 15 cities (in a 5-player game) and powered 14:

http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbook04/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Fields of Fire, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a win to me. Nothing dirty about it at all. I subscribe to what Jeff Thornsen says above ... opponents are "at fault" for not playing well enough against you. PG is one of my "10" rated games and I've seen wins like this before, all's fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peugeot 206
msg tools
Thanks everyone for the replies. I felt I wasn't dirty but just want to make sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally legit, and have seen this several times before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing remotely dirty is that you pulled it off.

Whenever I try to do something similar, I'm always a dollar (er, electro) short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have mentioned -- not dirty. I'm more impressed you had enough money for 4 builds to trigger end game and still have the most powered. I've seen it done with a 1 or 2 city to power difference, but never 4+

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The winning condition is quite clear, who can power the most cities after the end of game has been triggered. It could be more or less, even considerably less cities than the number required to trigger it.

I've done it with eight cities.

It's a reason to avoid the Power Plant Capacity Gap, once you've got the Mine Shaft Gap sorted anyway cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Pustulant Donkey
badge
Canadian Ghost
mbmbmbmbmb
peugeot206 wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Sorry, my bad. I accidentally did. My original story is that in a 6 player game, near end of step 2, I had 10 cities and I was able to buy the 31 PP (3 coals -> 6 cities) to bring my capacity up to 13 while everyone has around 9-11. So I built 4 more to trigger end game so I'd automatically win without much resistance. While my friends knew it's legal, they're not impressed with the fashion that I won in and I was just wondering if anyone here who uses my strategy a lot.

Were all three of your power plants coal? If so, I see how it could be considered a dirty win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
The winning condition is quite clear, who can power the most cities after the end of game has been triggered.

This↑

I imagine that the others around the table were merely peeved that they apparently didn't see it coming, or didn't think of it themselves.

Well played.

This is not a coop after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:

My friend Michelle won a three player game powering 9 cities, and 9/17 < 8/15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peugeot 206
msg tools
robo jr wrote:
peugeot206 wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

We're all three of your power plants coal? If so, I see how it could be considered a dirty win.

Why would it be dirty if all 3 of my plants are coal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peugeot 206
msg tools
KingD21 wrote:
As others have mentioned -- not dirty. I'm more impressed you had enough money for 4 builds to trigger end game and still have the most powered. I've seen it done with a 1 or 2 city to power difference, but never 4+

Actually to append, I didn't get the 31 plant and trigger end game in the same round. I bought the 31 plant in the previous round, and powered 10 cities to get my $100+ then, trigger end game by spending $120 on 4 cities. I'm playing the Northern Europe map btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peugeot206 wrote:
robo jr wrote:
peugeot206 wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

We're all three of your power plants coal? If so, I see how it could be considered a dirty win.

Why would it be dirty if all 3 of my plants are coal?

It was a joke. Coal is sometimes thought of as a dirty fuel due to the amount of pollution that coal plants, especially older coal plants, generate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peugeot 206
msg tools
Eric Brosius wrote:

It was a joke. Coal is sometimes thought of as a dirty fuel due to the amount of pollution that coal plants, especially older coal plants, generate.

LOL. I didn't know what you were getting at, but you're right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, David is right (it's his quote, not mine.) But I agree that it's a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peugeot206 wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

LOL. I didn't know what you were getting at, but you're right!

The original joke wasn't mine (nor Eric). And the quote labelled as Eric is mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm playing with a table of new players, this is usually how I win. Novices seem to undervalue capacity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.