Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi folks,

I've read the rules several times now in anticipation of having a game and I think I'm ok with most of it.

One thing that did make me curious though was the line in the playbook (pg 13) that said "forts slow down an enemy campaign by forcing him to stop and siege". Now I know you have to stop when you enter an enemy fortification or unit/s but I can't see in the rules where you have to siege?

If the enemy withdraws into the fort, on your next turn can you not just activate your force and move on? (perhaps to the enemys undefended interior).

Tactically you may have reasons not to do so but the line seems to impy that you have no choice but to siege, otherwise a stockade would slow things down equally as well. In 8.231 it says there is no movement if you want to increase the siege level, but if you dont?

Any thoughts/forts?

Al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Amills wrote:
One thing that did make me curious though was the line in the playbook (pg 13) that said "forts slow down an enemy campaign by forcing him to stop and siege". Now I know you have to stop when you enter an enemy fortification or unit/s but I can't see in the rules where you have to siege?

You have to place a siege marker if you fulfil the requirements but you never have to roll on the siege table if you don't want to.

Amills wrote:
If the enemy withdraws into the fort, on your next turn can you not just activate your force and move on? (perhaps to the enemys undefended interior).

Yes you can. Remember though that if you have no space to retreat to your drilled troops are eliminated. If you play with the advanced rules (and you should) you'll probably be OOS if you continue moving into enemy territory. Not good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
Guernsey
Vale
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Paul,

Would you say that the line in the playbook is a bit misleading then? As a fort won't slow you down any more than a stockade or a military unit (unless you overrun it).

I'm sure it's probably not wise to do such a thing normally, leaving an enemy to your rear is not normally a good idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.