Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone us it alot..or is it opportunistic at best when there's nothing better to get?

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's useful if you're the only one going for it.

As soon as there's a garbage war, it becomes too expensive to be practical.

However, in Central Europe you can get a discount off garbage if you're in Vienna, so there's a slight incentive there.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
However, in Central Europe you can get a discount off garbage if you're in Vienna, so there's a slight incentive there.

Does that mean that Vienna is full of.. er.. crap??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially in a larger game, garbage can become extremely cheap. The #30 and #38 plants are great buys when garbage prices drop to 2 electros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that useful in the early game. I haven't seen anyone use the #6 plant, for example. It's not uncommon for coal and/or oil prices to match garbage after a few turns if nobody uses the trash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's garbage at all!
imho, and really if you are the sole user, garbage can be quite powerful...
keep the cost down and know when/if to jump to something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mainly used the trash the last time I played and it was useful! I had two plants using it that powered well, no-one else did until the last turn (and I bought before them!) and it was dirt cheap by then....Can be a struggle earlier on but can come into it's own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but garbage starts restocking much faster on Steps 2 and 3. So I've found it useful on the later stages of the game. Specially since by then everyone is sold on coal and oil...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
I think garbage is a great addition to the game and is one of the many things that keeps Power Grid interesting.

To me, garbage is sorta like playing a game of chicken. It's a resource that starts off as crap but every turn that someone hasn't bought it, it gets better and better. Who will be the 1st one to consider that the dropping price of garbage outweighs the relativly poor production of the plants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
I haven't seen anyone use the #6 plant, for example.

I hate to quote myself, but the very next game of PG I played after typing this someone bought the #6 plant on turn 1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
30 and 38 are good, 24 only if you really have to, the rest are garbage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The #6 is decent in Italy esp. in 5/6 player where it will be $1 cheaper on every turn after for a while.

The #14 is quite honestly my vote for worst plant in the game, as I simply cannot think of a time when you would buy this. If it's high in the market, then you might have, say, the 9, 11, and 12 below it, and I would certainly take the 12 before it if not the 11. If it's not, then ANYTHING higher is better. If it's 3rd turn of the game with 6 players outside Italy, trash is on 4 if the 6 didn't get bought, but $8 is steep fuel vs. the 12 (2 hybrid) usually.

The #19 is not as bad but not much better. The #24 is fair, not great (I'd rather have the 21, 25, 26, or 28).

The 30 or 38 suffer from the problem that trash really only supports one person. So if both of these are in play, trash is going to get pricey fast (with 6 players you get 6 trash in step 3. Let's see that matter, because most games end the turn or turn after step 3 starts).

In general, I would say you never want to be the 2nd person in trash unless you NEED the capacity of the 30 or 38 and have no viable alternative, and you would only buy the 6 in Italy with at least 5 players.

Feel free to disagree. Maybe being in Vienna will change some of these but that remains to be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.