Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Please Rate My Through the Ages Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So this is my general strategy for TTA, please rate or give advice. Any help appreciated.

Wonders:
Age A:
Library of Alexandria (maybe)
Age I:
Universitas Carolina
Age II:
Transcontinental Railroad
Age III:
Fast Food Chains

Leaders:
Age A:
Aristotle (maybe)
Age 1:
Frederick Barbarossa
Age II:
Napoleon Bonaparte (maybe)
Age III:
Rock and Roll Icon

General Strategy:
Age A:
Build a mine, labs, and temples.
Age I:
Get Iron, alchemy, knights, irrigation, theology (maybe).
Age II:
Get all level 2 military units (so age III tactics work to their full potential) and build up army.
Age III:
Get culture points.

Thanks if you give advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I prefer Hanging Gardens and Pyramids to the Library of Alexandria. The other three wonders you chose are great, if you can snag them. For Age II, the Railroad and the Ocean Liner are comparable in utility and I would be happy having either.

Leaders-wise, Aristotle is certainly a popular choice. I have never seen Frederick picked in any games I've played -- Leonardo, Michelangelo, and Columbus are the ones that nearly always get picked, and for good reason -- Leonardo provides both science and resources, Michelangelo gives cheaper wonders and culture, and Columbus usually nets you a free population boost while letting you take advantage of your Ancient Era leader for longer.
In Age II, Bonaparte is frequently a no-brainer, but other players are likely to get him. If they do, consider Robespierre, Newton, Cook, or Shakespeare depending on whether you're looking to upgrade to a better government, haven't had a science leader yet, have colonies, or are needing a culture boost.
I really dislike the Rock & Roll Icon, because you're either better off generating vastly more culture via Game Designer, or you need Gandhi to stave off your opponents. If you're strong in military you probably have a military leader from Age II already and wouldn't bother upgrading.

Otherwise, your strategy seems ok for the most part. However, getting all level 2 military units is probably too expensive, and you should never rely on getting a particular tactics card. I would advise tailoring your unit acquisitions to the tactics you already drew, because for all you know you might be stuck with that Medieval Army for the rest of the game! Also note that there are plenty of 2-unit-type Age III tactics cards, which is a further disincentive to collect all the types.

It may also help to prioritize your tech cards based on what you actually need. Should you get Theology or Bread & Circuses when lacking happiness? Eh, I'd just get whatever's cheaper at the time, because civic actions are your most valuable resource after all. Of course if you're playing with Michelangelo Theology becomes a much more attractive option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TurtwigAndSquirtle wrote:
So this is my general strategy for TTA, please rate or give advice. Any help appreciated.

Is this the same for all player counts?

I do differ with one or two of these choices, although the chance of your getting all of these rather assumes that there are no opponents. You need a plan B in TtA, and a plan C when that doesn't work, and plans D, E and F in reserve as well!

As for my preferences, I prefer Caesar to Aristotle, and will usually take St Pete's if the opportunity arises. Also, I'd usually prefer Columbus, Mikey or LDV to Barbie. (I love to play Genghis when the opportunity arises, but that opportunity is VERY rare.)

I like the Library and think it's a slightly under-rated Wonder. I'll usually take Pyramids or Gardens before Library, but I'm not unhappy if the other 2 have gone and I'm "forced" to take the Library.

Your choice of Fast Food Chains seems slightly out of step with your Science-rich Strategy. Surely Space Flight could be more productive? As for the Rock Star, I prefer Einstein (who also goes well with the Space Flight)

But anyway, everything in TtA is situational - and the more you play, the more you discover the power of some of the less often chosen Leaders and Wonders. Almost all of them can play a strong role in the right circumstances.

Keep on enjoying this awesome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Van Der Werf
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is almost completely wrong i'd say.
You can't have too rigid of a plan in TTA as you just need to take the strategy that is best given the options.

But if you're going to summarise it:
Early on get 3rd mine, second philosophy and get swordsman and/or knights going. Irrigation and Alchemy if they come up nicely. Grab 1 or 2 good wonders (pyramids by far best Age A, hanging gardens also decent. Wall, st. peters and universitas all decent Age 1). Grab warfare if possible. Ignore all other age 1 techs in most cases (iron is a trap and sucks 99% of the time).
Cut anything you don't need and take yellow cards instead pumping everything you feasibly can into military. That's the game for 2 players. With 3 or 4 players it's still the case unless multiple players deviate from it, then more economy minded is possible. If everyone is still aggressive you will suffer even more by not going full military.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players? The answers definitely change for the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Levy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand how you can consider this a "strategy". It's more of a listing of some ideas.

TTA is a hugely situational game. For example, Iron in the very beginning of Age I for one action is usually a great move (IMHO); Iron for 3 actions at the very end of Age I is almost certainly a bad decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.