Stately White
msg tools
It's just maybe a scene from a story, with no background and no context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schreiber
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of the story card names are either based on the writings of Lovecraft or those who continued his cycle through short stories and RPGs.

But, I think the point is that these references are just backdrops. The struggle that you create by playing the game is the real story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
One theory in literature is that a story's narrative centers around conflict. With a card that two opposed sides conflict over, a story is thus created. It further references a story in the mythos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_%28narrative%29
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stately White
msg tools
Thanks. I never looked at it this way. The story is the conflict. The card is simply where it takes place as perhaps part of an overall series of struggles.

I'm new to these kinds of games, and Lovecraft, so it's all very intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
As this game is inspired by literature, I think the designers were trying to tap into that theme with flavorful names (stories, characters, etc). It's similar to A Game of Thrones LCG which has "plot" cards. Again, a game based on books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
There's been a couple other attempts at a Lovecraftian card game. Mythos comes to mind. To win that game you had to complete a story without going insane. Your opponent is messing your world up, while you try to complete all the elements. The narrative is the direct goal. I have a copy of it, but it never seemed to quite come together for me to enjoy it.

I personally really like the way the story cards work in CoC: TCG. Sometimes, it doesn't really make a sensible narrative, but that must be my sanity slipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.