Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title says it all. Do I have an original or a revised edition? I searched online for a while, but did not find a definitive answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand correctly, the original edition of the FFG game has a dark-colored map; all subsequent editions have a light-colored map. The real original from the '80s is a totally different beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look on the barcode on the bottom of the box; in one of the corners there should be a three digit month and two digit year that will tell you when it was printed. I don't think they do it anymore (annoying, since I would check in conjunction with FAQ releases), but Arkham Horror was printed when they still were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Moore
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a difference in the editions gamewise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was the lost box of Nubbuchuubbu.. it still has his ichor all over it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belibutn wrote:
Is there a difference in the editions gamewise?

Several item and spell cards went through minor changes. Updated cards are included with Dunwich Horror. (Yes, still.)

The rulebook was subtly changed, and the term "monster surge" was added for clarity.

At this point in time, it's pretty unlikely that you have a unrevised edition (though not impossible). As mentioned above, you can tell by the first edition's much darker board, with street location spaces colored to match their neighborhood (instead of just being bordered in that color).

First Edition

Second (Revised) Edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

Huh, until you posted that pic of the old board, I didn't realize Arkham was supposed to be pictured under the game spaces. I think they should have stuck with the old map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seahawk wrote:

Huh, until you posted that pic of the old board, I didn't realize Arkham was supposed to be pictured under the game spaces. I think they should have stuck with the old map.

Absolutely. I kinda like what they did with the text boxes as the old ones are a bit hard to read, but the map itself should have stayed dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C F
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to get too far off topic, but I second the darker map. Seems they could have done something else to make things stand out while keeping the old color.

That said, even better, I think they should have done a more realistic map where you're actually moving along roads and visiting buildings instead of the weird overlay they went with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.