Subject: Post O&C: is The Professor good yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand people's statement of "the professor can only get better as more programs appear". Sure, he will have more choices, but the same can be said to all other runners...and worse, to Corp.

If you get 10% better but your opponent (the Corp) gets a 20% improvement he is becoming a worse runner.

Now onto your deck...rather than 2 consoles, why not change astrolabe for an akamatsu? Also, add some Leprechauns? You will need the memory!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
I don't believe that that's enough econ and that's what has always hurt professor in my opinion. There's a reason kate decks include lucky find. There's a reason opus isn't quite good enough outside of nasir who has a great economic boon at the moment.

I'm not sure that I believe you can run a professor deck off those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've built a Professor deck with O&C cards that I'm planning on taking to my GNK tourney this weekend; I'll report back...

EDIT: FYI there's 32 Inf of programs in the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had moderate success with the Prof pre O&C. The trick is not to get blinded by his ability. Just because you CAN include 30+ influence doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Take a suite a powerful breakers and utility programs (with the tools to get them, and the econ to back them up), and don't be precious with them. Your deck is a Swiss-army knife, not a flat-pack rig you're assembling by rote.

I played the deck kind of like the 'Dirty Hands' Exile deck, where your rig is fluid, and constantly adapting. One of the most memorable games I had I was able to continually invalidate ICE against NEH.

Enigma on R&D? Get Yog.0 and Medium go to town. Enigma got installed over by Guard, and a card went in the remote. Turned out to be NAPD behind RSVP. Fine, no problem. Scavenge Yog.0 for Femme. Femme past RSVP. Break Guard with Femme. Another RSVP over the Guard on R&D? Clone Chip out a Gordian Blade I'd earlier sold to Freelance Coding. You get the idea.

Now I'm not en expert player by a long shot, and I'm sure there are far better Professor players (and builds) out there, but the worst Prof decks (my early attempts included) seem to be about trying to squeeze in more programs than you actually want or need to be effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
This deck is an example of having too many programs. Talk about having a clogged hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sias Mey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My downfall and biggest Deck building challenge with shaper is always that they seem to run in 2 distinct streams.

Decks that want cards all the time and decks that want a rig and then dont want cards anymore.

I mostly run exile, and since he leans to wanting cards I tend to go for one off or exhausting breakers like the dogs. some more extra draw, all the things. No surprises really except the toolbox style.

Kate decks tend to push me towards wanting to rig up and get it over with.. To do that effectively you need multiple copies of multiple cards that will be dead if you draw the second copies... so you want to draw a storm, set up and then only draw when you need life, since you will likely draw dead cards.

All of this makes the prof a tricky thing. We have SMC and Test Run as tutors currently. As well as clone chip and scavenge for recursion of one shots or toolbox programs. So... you need to draw for the SMC and TR but you will be drawing lots of dead meat. So.. for me... currently... FCC is a must have in a prof deck.

It allows you to massively overdraw and get money from it, as well as then having the choice later to recur things you dropped. And you need to keep drawing to get to the recursion anyway... On that note... I dont think you can go without Same Old Thing either, since only playing Levy from hand is seldom enough. But if you want to play levy, you want your deck to mostly be thinned when you..... See... here is my problem. Certain cards work better in certain styles...

I like Levy in a hardware heavy, tutor light event econ deck draw deck. You install the hardware, you play everything, you overdraw, you set it all up and after the levy all you have left are econ and useful event draws. Best way? Probably not, since it probably happens too late.

Inject is amazing for program light exile, FCC is amazing for program heavy exile. The prof... Im just not sure yet... but then O&C will only drop here in a month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:
There's a reason opus isn't quite good enough outside of nasir who has a great economic boon at the moment.

What, with Weyland's space ice having appeared? Nasir is not in a great position right now...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what has changed?

Do any of these things make the Professor amazing?

1 x Eater;
1 x Gravedigger;
1 x Hivemind;
1 x Progenitor;
1 x Day Job, Chop Bot 3000 or Investigative Journalism for your single influence;
Uninstall;
Qianju PT;
Data Folding.

The only one out of them that jumps out as potentially shifting things is 'Hivemind'. But is the Professor really the best ID to be running multiple viruses? I wouldn't have thought so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
popeye09 wrote:
Well, what has changed?

1 x Eater;
1 x Gravedigger;
1 x Hivemind;
1 x Progenitor;
1 x Day Job, Chop Bot 3000 or Investigative Journalism for your single influence;
Uninstall;
Qianju PT;
Data Folding.

The only one out of them that jumps out as potentially shifting things is 'Hivemind'. But is the Professor really the best ID to be running multiple viruses? I wouldn't have thought so!

I've had a similar idea - Professor has the tutors to fetch Djinn, and the influence to include all the virii... so if you can burn 2 tutors to get Progenitor and Djinn, you can use Djinn to fetch the rest of your "rig".

The problem is you need econ to fuel that - probably opus, so now we're talking a 3 piece combo, and anyone who's played shaper can probably relate to "not getting tutors". Sometimes they just don't show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Eater keyhole is the only big thing in my mind. Goes well with sneakdoor beta/nerve agent which has always been a strong shaper play.

Obviously don't have both up at a given time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wanderingmystic
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
popeye09 wrote:
Well, what has changed?

1 x Eater;
1 x Gravedigger;
1 x Hivemind;
1 x Progenitor;
Uninstall;
Qianju PT;
Data Folding.

I've had a similar idea - Professor has the tutors to fetch Djinn, and the influence to include all the virii... so if you can burn 2 tutors to get Progenitor and Djinn, you can use Djinn to fetch the rest of your "rig".

The problem is you need econ to fuel that - probably opus, so now we're talking a 3 piece combo, and anyone who's played shaper can probably relate to "not getting tutors". Sometimes they just don't show up.

I've also toyed with the idea of a professor Hivemind deck, but the problem isn't econ for me. The problem is virus purging. Progenitor will save your Hivemind at 1 token, but you have no good way to fuel that after a purge.
Virus breeding ground is a resource, and can't fit with its influence into a prof deck. Same on Surge being over influence. Incubator is your only other good option for getting tokens back on hivemind, and lets be honest, do you really want to use up all your clone chips on that? Wouldn't you rather have clone chips grabbing choice breakers mid-run from your trash after you've made 6-8 extra credits via Freelance Coding Contracts?

I just don't think Hivemind is sustainable pressure out of professor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:

What about Eater and Code Siphon? That seems like a pretty neat combo for Shaper. Of course you will want the corp to ICE up R&D, but Shaper has that pressure in spades.

With 3 ICE on R&D you could siphon out Femme and Torch for free, that's pretty nice.

Not exactly "free" as you'd more than likely have to pay to break through those three pieces of ice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
The tag is the thing that kills code siphon. It's just not good enough because there isn't a program that pays you back for getting it and there are better ways to tutor currently.

The best use for code siphon I found with my limited testing is early game when there's only one ice down and you have a self modifying code down. You basically go in with code siphon pay to break the one measly ice and get your second breaker that you're expecting to need soon. So, I think it's great at early rig building, but you generally already need to have the right breaker. While that may appear to be eater, it isn't; because with only one copy of eater you could have probably gotten corroder, mimic, or zu (all cheaper) and achieved better board state.

Eater is good out of anarch because anarch can also EAT the ice that eater breaks. And the professor will never get those events.

Only other place code siphon makes sense to me is going to go get your mediums after amping up 3 times. And you need creds for that play.

---
On second thought:

Maybe... Qianju PT + Activist Support + Black Mail + Code Siphon + mediums

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.