Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having enjoyed Quarriors, I recently decided I should try out dice masters A vs XM having heard a couple really good reviews.

Unfortunately I'm neither a fan of open-ended, money-sink type games (that's why I never got into MtG, but I'm a huge fan of Ascension), nor is it easy to find any Booster packs for sale where I live.

So, my question is, if I buy 1 or 2 base sets, can dice masters still be played to good effect as a closed-set game? Or does it really only work if you sink $50+ into boosters? Also remember that I will only be playing with family where I either bring the whole game with me, or there will be no one with dice/cards of their own to join...

Please let me know your thoughts - And thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a whole lot of variety, but if you only play maybe once a week, you could probably get by with just the starters. I would recommend 2 of each starter though, so you have 4 of each character die. Plus this will allow you to play the 2 vs 2 format for extra replay ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, I'd skip this one if its not for you. It really does try to be its own "lifestyle game". Plenty of other games for a "just want something to play with my family" experience.

I don't think you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of starter sets alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But is it intrinsically _that_ different from Quarriors? At a glance it does not seem to. And Quarriors is a great game for "my" crowd...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you get boosters where you are for roughly an equivalent price? For example here it is $15 for the starter and one dollar per booster. You mentioned the possibility of getting two starter sets, I think instead the better option would be to get one starter and, say, 15 boosters if that is an option. That will give you nearly 50 dice with which to play and modify your teams. That is plenty for two players to have a number of varying teams and games with as a closed set.

I like Quarriors but consider Dice Masters to be much better, bearing in mind that the situation I described above is only a two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Melo
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the thing: boosters are not available here in Portugal (while the base set is - barely). I would need to order them from abroad and s&h may not make it worth my while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
The downside to getting 15 boosters vs another starter is that you won't get the sidekick side needed for 2 vs 2 play. As Quarriors is a 2-4 player game, there might be as many as 4 players in the game group. If you limit the format to 1 vs 1, you could limit the playtime for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In truth then I would not advise investing in the game. The only thing I can recommend would be to collect both an uncanny X-Men starter and an Age of Ultron or Avengers vs X-Men starter if either are ever available to you. Those two will give enough variety for two players and also open the format to four. Personally I think getting two of the same starter is a waste.

I do love the game much more than Quarriors but with only one starter there isn't going to be variety enough to sustain that many multiple plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James K
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a new set comes out, that I am interested in, I will buy the following:

Starter set: £12-15 (Amazon)
All of the common characters + dice: £10-15 (ebay)
All of the uncommon characters + dice: £15-20 (trollandtoad)

This gives me, for the most part, 2 or 3 dice of the characters. If I need more dice I will buy either a rare character, or another cheap common for $0.40-$1.

Each set is similar to buying an expansion to a base game. I just love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elTigreCHino wrote:
When a new set comes out, that I am interested in, I will buy the following:

Starter set: £12-15 (Amazon)
All of the common characters + dice: £10-15 (ebay)
All of the uncommon characters + dice: £15-20 (trollandtoad)

This gives me, for the most part, 2 or 3 dice of the characters. If I need more dice I will buy either a rare character, or another cheap common for $0.40-$1.

Each set is similar to buying an expansion to a base game. I just love this game.
That's true! A very good way to go, if you can get items from Ebay and / or Troll and Toad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group is okay with 2v2 games, then here's what I'd suggest: buy one Avengers vs. X-Men starter, and one Uncanny X-Men starter, and play using the official Dice Masters Doubles rules.

When playing doubles, each team uses a total of 8 characters. With the two starters, you'll have 16 distinct characters, and 2 dice for each, along with enough sidekick and basic action dice for everyone.

Replay value may be limited until you're able to get a hold of more cards and dice, but there are also more sets coming out very soon. If you can buy any of those starters, you can at least get some variety that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SillyCon wrote:
Having enjoyed Quarriors, I recently decided I should try out dice masters A vs XM having heard a couple really good reviews.

Unfortunately I'm neither a fan of open-ended, money-sink type games (that's why I never got into MtG, but I'm a huge fan of Ascension), nor is it easy to find any Booster packs for sale where I live.

So, my question is, if I buy 1 or 2 base sets, can dice masters still be played to good effect as a closed-set game? Or does it really only work if you sink $50+ into boosters? Also remember that I will only be playing with family where I either bring the whole game with me, or there will be no one with dice/cards of their own to join...

Please let me know your thoughts - And thanks!

I would pass, there are plenty of other games out there. To me, the collecting is part of the joy of Dice Masters, if you take that out, I highly doubt I would of bought any Dice Masters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.