Subject: Benelux map - Luxembourg and Wallonia areas <7 cities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bas van der Meer
Netherlands
Oegstgeest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I noticed about the Benelux map, is that, just like any other Power Grid map, this map is divided in 6 areas. However, two of those areas have less than 7 cities: Luxembourg has only 1 city and Wallonia has only 6 cities. So basically, if you combine those two areas, you have a map with only 5 areas (which is perfectly OK with 6 players, because even on a regular board, you never use all 6 areas).

I assume in a less than 6 player game, you should treat those two areas as one, but there's nothing in the rules about this. Or did I miss anything on this subject? I can't find it anywhere else discussed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maura Kalusky
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
your right.
it`s one area....but if i made luxemburg in the same colour as wallonia, millions of luxembourgians started to burn flags of bremen (or maybe hamburg) and that's something, nobody wants.

therefore luxembourg has her own colour.
but it contains to wallonia. in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing this up. I just ran into this problem with a 3-player test game, where I only used Belgium and Luxembourg. Not only did nobody get 7 cities in step 1, there weren't even 17 cities to trigger the endgame.

Thanks for taking care not to hurt our feelings . It would have been nice though to have mentioned this in the rulebook or even as a FAQ/errata on the 2F website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Johns
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this counts as one area then does the same number of areas per player remain the same as in the basic game? If so, then in some cases the whole board would be used which, as has been pointed out, does not happen in the original.

Also I wondered why the boards have not been named? If you know your geography then you can work it out but it would have been useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
kenjohns wrote:
If this counts as one area then does the same number of areas per player remain the same as in the basic game? If so, then in some cases the whole board would be used which, as has been pointed out, does not happen in the original.

My group had the same question and we assumed that no area would be excluded. It'd be nice to get official confirmation of this.

I wonder if you could combine the maps for France, Benelux, Germany and Central Europe to make a megagame for 24 players. You'd just need to work out the connection costs between boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Murmak
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
[q="kenjohns"]I wonder if you could combine the maps for France, Benelux, Germany and Central Europe to make a megagame for 24 players. You'd just need to work out the connection costs between boards.

ugh that sounds scary! unless you find out how to play simultaneously (which is not possible I think) I don't wanna even try to think about such masochist variant! Even with 6 ppl the game is too long, how about 24ppl! Man you are pure evil!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Johns
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
kenjohns wrote:
I wonder if you could combine the maps for France, Benelux, Germany and Central Europe to make a megagame for 24 players. You'd just need to work out the connection costs between boards.

ugh that sounds scary! unless you find out how to play simultaneously (which is not possible I think) I don't wanna even try to think about such masochist variant! Even with 6 ppl the game is too long, how about 24ppl! Man you are pure evil!

I didn't actually say that, it was woodnoggin.

It is the sort of idea I might have suggested but this time "Not Guilty, Me Lud!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Storm
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We figured that they were different regions and that the game would just play different if you chose those regions to be in the game. Makes a little more sense that its all one region though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:

My group had the same question and we assumed that no area would be excluded. It'd be nice to get official confirmation of this.

Although the rules do say that the standard Power Grid rules apply which means that you do exlude regions.

We played a four player game tonight and excluded the brown and green regions. This mean that we actually only had 21 cities in play which is a total of 64 possible connections, theoretically that could end up with 16 per player which means that the endgame condition is not triggered. We decided if that did happen we would just call that the endgame had been triggered when there was nowhere left to build, in the end we had 17-16-16-14, so it was triggered. However it would be nice if this was documented somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Marvosh
United States
Boise
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

Although the rules do say that the standard Power Grid rules apply which means that you do exlude regions.

We played a four player game tonight and excluded the brown and green regions. This mean that we actually only had 21 cities in play which is a total of 64 possible connections, theoretically that could end up with 16 per player which means that the endgame condition is not triggered. We decided if that did happen we would just call that the endgame had been triggered when there was nowhere left to build, in the end we had 17-16-16-14, so it was triggered. However it would be nice if this was documented somewhere.

I don't understand. With four players, you should be playing with four regions, not three. If you take the blue and purple as one region (which the artist herself has said you should), there is no problem. It's exactly the same as the other maps, albeit with one less total region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drinkdrawers wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

I don't understand. With four players, you should be playing with four regions, not three. If you take the blue and purple as one region (which the artist herself has said you should), there is no problem. It's exactly the same as the other maps, albeit with one less total region.

See the thing is that when you play the game out of the box this thread is not available. There is nothing in the actual rules that come with the map that says that the blue and purple regions should be treated as one, thus we did not and evidently are not the only ones. I will be amending my rules accordingly to avoid future confusion. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Louvier
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drinkdrawers wrote:
Karlsen wrote:
woodnoggin wrote:

My understanding (from who knows where) is that you only exclude a region in a six player game, but I don't have my rules handy. So, on Benelux, with only 5 regions (yes the lone city is part of the lower region) you don't exclude any regions with 5 or 6 players. It should play fine then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:

M(which the artist herself has said you should)

OhOh...

Maura definitely is male :-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Benelux map - Luxembourg and Wallonia areas
Well, you don't HAVE to have one region per player...we often use the whole map in 2 player games...though I suspect it removes some of the challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.